How many of you have....

recovering doormat

Lapsed CDer
Motion Lotion....that made me laugh out loud!

difficult child 1 used my credit card to order tooth whitener online when she was 14...she didn't want the $80 worth of product, she was after the MP3 player that was "free" if you visited the sponsor...she didn't get it then, not sure she does four years later.

difficult child 2 helped himself a few times to $20 bills out of my wallet, to huge jars of spare change at his dad's house, to a huge jar of change in difficult child 1's closet. He always denied at first, then later admitted to it. When I realied what was going on I never kept cash in my wallet if he was around my house.

Sometime last fall my good jewelry, wedding and engagement rings, pearl choker my ex got me as a wedding gift, two lapis lazuli necklaces from Chile he gave me early in our marriage, a pair of sapphire earrings from my mother in law, disappeared from my bureau drawer. Obviously an inside job, but I still don't know if it was one of my kids or one of their druggie friends. Either way, it makes me nauseous. $20K worth of jewelry, they maybe got a hundred dollars for it from a fence. I'll never see it again, can't give it to my kids when they are adults, like I planned. It's the worst betrayal.

then, while difficult child 2 was at rehab, someone actually broke in (smashed windows) to my house and stole a bicycle from the garage that belonged to one of difficult child's friends, and difficult child's iMAC desktop computer (left the mouse and keyboard). Neighbor saw two teen boys walking bicycles away from my house just minutes after one of difficult child's druggie pals called his dad's house to ask if he could come and get a bicycle in my garage. Cops were called, kid who called about the bike was confronted, but he lawyered up, so that was it for police pressure. Now difficult child 2 is home from rehab, angry about his computer being stolen, but as I told him, this is what happens when you hang out with the kind of kids you hung out with. The message was received. Making it even more indelible, difficult child earned the money to buy the computer, so he's really feeling it.

When my son came home from rehab there was a Facebook message from the kid who we thought did the burglary pointing the finger at another mutual druggie friend, who just happens to be in jail right now for stabbing a kid at boarding school. So much for honor among thieves.