how many pecans can a pup eat?

Steely

:cool-dog:
Question for you:
How many pecans can a dog eat without it being harmful?

We are having a bumper crop of pecans this year in Texas, and I have a huge tree in my backyard. My pup, who is 6 months old, has taken to eating these pecans, shell and all, as if they were doggie treats!

He is scrounging them up off the ground, or waits until they fall off the tree and runs and grabs them, or waits until the squirrels finish what they want and drop the remains on his head (squirrels are devilish little things). Now, given, thankfully, he is mostly an inside dog. But it is SO beautiful here, me and my 3 dogs are out a lot. He must have just eaten 5 while we were out for 30 minutes! Shell and all!

Can this be bad for him, do you know? I have googled it, and came up with little. My other dog, also does this, but not to this extent, and the third could care less about anything, unless it is a liver treat. I guess pecans are sweet...........but you would think this could reek havoc on his digestion system......plus I worry about some sort of fungus or something being on them.

Any thoughts?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It might give him a rip roaring case of diarrhea. :cool-dog:

Otherwise, I haven't heard of nuts being necessarily bad for dogs.

Our dog Molly is crazy for cashews. lol She doesn't get them except around xmas. One year she snuck into Travis' bag and ate them all. PHEW! The resulting gas was horrendous and we were constantly taking her outside to do her business.

Of course Molly also loves grapes, which are supposed to be horrible for a dogs GI tract. We just discovered this and she's been munching them for years. :rolleyes:

goldenguru

I would call the vet. I remember reading once about a dog who was eating pecans from the backyard and ending up getting really sick. Nuts(untreated) can carry various forms of bacteria causing all manner of intestinal difficulties.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Those shell shards are sharp and could cause intestinal problems or possibly not be digested and cut her intestines. I would call a vet = even someone at an emergency clinic in your area should be able to answer that on a Sunday night for free.

I do find it ODD that YOU are just now figuring out that YOUR dog likes NUTS - don't you? My dog has loved US for years, just the way we are. :its_all_good:

TerryJ2

It might give him a rip roaring case of diarrhea.

My thought exactly.

If it makes you feel any better, my Borzoi puppy ate everything from cigarette butts to Barbie dolls. I found a Barbie head in her poop one day. Scared the poop out of ME!

Good luck.

:doctor:

AllStressedOut

I'd call the vet and ask. If they're concerned they'll have you come in. I'm amazed at all the pecans in the area. People have even been taking bags to the local parks and filling them up. Guess thats a much cheaper way to handle pecan pie during the holidays.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Loan_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do find it ODD that YOU are just now figuring out that YOUR dog likes NUTS - don't you? My dog has loved US for years, just the way we are. :its_all_good: </div></div>

:rofl:

Sharp pointy shards and all?

Our dog must be awfully fond of nuts too.

(Dig the starfish avatar by the way)

Steely

Welp.........interestingly, both dogs vomited last night. And when I called the vet she said that absolutely they should not eat nuts, because it can cause an intestinal blockage.

Sigh........so now we all know!
I know you were just on the edge of your seat waiting for that news :smile:

Thanks for your guidance guys.........
And thanks Star, for reassuring me that my dogs love me for being the absolutely bonkers owner that I am. :laugh:
What other way is there to be? :cigarsmoker:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Lord the things this board picks up on! LOL

I am so glad your furrababy will be okay. I would hazzard a guess that maybe you could fence off that area with some chicken wire until the tree is done = we used to throw a basket ball up in the branches to knock the pecans to the ground.

My dog had a leather collar, with his Home Away tag, the Rabies ID, a local shelter tag and one that lovingly says Prince Charming with a jeweled crown. DF's dog and mine played all day and mine came in without his leather collar. That night my dog began to shiver as if he were freezing. He shook so violently we thought he was having seizures. We called the vet, took him in for a looksee and the X-ray showed my wonderful kid had eaten his collar tags and all, possibly the handle and some plastic of a milk jug and something no one could identify. They did emergency surgery to the tune (Dat da da dahhhhh) of $890.00. The vet is strongly against leather collars. The salt smell makes them like a dog rawhide treat and apparently the other dog had chewed the collar until it broke off his brothers neck.

Of course the collar was shot - but they washed his tags and when we took him home 2 days later from surgery we had attached his tags to his new NYLON collar.

A lot of people buy their dogs these rope toys, rope knots and they are awful toys to give a dog. They fray and the strands can get caught up and bind the intestines.

Also too many rawhide treats are not good.

KONG makes an excellent toy, that bounces weird, can be filled with peanut butter or their own cheese spray, and lasts even the most vicious of jaws. Mine is a 137 lb american bulldog and we also have a Pitbull - neither have ever been able to destroy a Kong for heavy chewers. Not even a knick...or a nut. ahah.

Good luck - glad to hear little guy is okay - even if you do have to clean up the barf.

Star

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm also glad to hear he's ok. :smile:

Ok. So this year I take extra special care to hide all of the cashews mother in law gives to the males in the family as xmas gifts. :bag:

Molly is going to hate me. :rofl:

Oh, well. Today she and Betsy shared in sister in law's birthday cake. :smile:

Star

Rowdy and Molly can't wear anything but leather collars. They break the nylon ones too easily. And we did choke chains for awhile, neither minded, but they'd lose them in the yard. But both are older dogs and don't do much chewing these days.

So far Betsy's the only one who can wear nylon. But then she's too busy chewing up everything else to give a hoot about her collar. lol

donna723

I'm glad you called the vet too. Even if a few nuts wouldn't bother them, those chewed up shells couldn't be good. Mine both love cashews and will sit and beg for them. Apparently, in addition to chocolate, grapes are a HUGE no-no for dogs, also raisins. It's funny, but when we were kids we had a dog who would stand up on her hind legs and eat the grapes right off the vine!

And I will never give mine any kind of rawhide chewies again! My oldest Boston, Ragan, chews them till they're all gummy and nasty, then tries to swallow them whole. She had one of those that's a long strip of rawhide with knots tied on either end to make a bone shape. In no time she had the knots undone and chewed until it was floppy - then she tried to swallow it! I heard choking sounds and found her sputtering and gagging - one short end was hanging out of her mouth and the other end must have been all the way down in her stomach, and she couldn't breathe! I grabbed it and pulled ... and this eight or nine inch strip of rawhide came out! It just kept coming and coming ... And that's the LAST time they ever got rawhide to chew on! If I hadn't been there when it happened, she would have died!

It's funny you should mention a bumper crop of pecans this year! A lot of people on the dog-related board I go on have been mentioning how there are so many acorns falling from the oak trees in their yards this year ... the broken shells hurt the dogs' feet and they refuse to walk on them! They have become little "pavement puppies".

Steely

Pavement puppies.............oh sigh :smile: I have a dog like that........no rain or mud for his little sweet paws.
Then I have these other two, that can't get enough rain, mud, or evidently, pecans.

My tree is 50 years old, and huge......there is no way I can ever rake or dispose of all the pecans falling. I guess I will just have to be watching both dogs like a hawk.

The rawhide story has me gagging. My sisters' dog has eaten 3 dishtowels..........the last one cost her 3K in medical bills to remove, the so called, rufage from his tummy. He is a walking disaster area.

Good things we love these guys so much....... :pet: