How many times have you moved?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>I was just thinking how many times I have moved and how many states I have lived in....Moving is a feat for us since I tend to be a saver.....When we move husband demands I get rid of the boxes I never opened from the last move.....okay, seems fair....

We have lived in only two states, Indiana and very southern Michigan. Have owned only six different homes (one is a lake house), and the longest we lived in one house was 14 years. The shortest time in one home was 8 months.... I wasn't counting apartment places after college, but definately had less furniture then....

Tell me about YOUR moves........</span>

:salute: :future:

Sunlight

gee I moved from my parents home to a small apartment near them while my dad built me this house...lol (11 miles from my orig home)
I have lived here since 1973.

rejectedmom

Since I married husband I moved 6 times. I also bought a beach house which counts for 7 times of setting up a new household.

We lived in one house for almost 20 years. We sold it 2 years ago and haven't missed it even for a minute. Our neighbors were self absorbed and a bunch of users. They only called when the wanted a favor. They used my pool, used my kids for cheap babysitters, used husband and I as references etc. Came to parties and ate and drank to excess and rarely reciprocated. I cannot tell you how many times I contributed to collections for other peoples parents funerals only to have the death of my mother ignored. Not even a card. In addition when I was fighting off the depression of dealing with a disfiguring form of cancer not a single card or phone call came for me from them. This was an affluent area. Upper middle class homes on minimum half acre lots. Just filled with selfish, self absorbed, jealous and competitive AHs.

I am now in a main street America type setting restoring a 100 year old house. It is fun but I will probably sell it as soon as the RE market gets better. Then????? I will either RV across America painting and photographing all along the way. After that I want to take a boat down the intercoastal waterway for a year. (Yes I have boating experience and am capable of doing this but will probalby take another pioliting course to refresh my memory on navagational aspects of a trip such as this.) After that I will retire to my beach house which also needs renovation. Then?????????????????????????????????????

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>rm, what kind of boat are we talking, down the intercoastal waterway? You sound like my twin....we have never restored a 100 year old home, but would love to do that and we enjoy the water.....taking a piloting course would be fun, I may check that out......</span>

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>This is somewhat timely since I am in the early stages of a move.
4 apartments as a single women.
1st house Pittsburgh for 3yrs.
2nd house Ft.Lauderdale for 3 yrs
3rd house Minneapolis 1yr
4th house Pittsburgh 18mo
5th house Miami 3yrs
6th house Miamai(due to hurricane Andrew) 3yrs
7th house Wichita but never closed due to company reloc)
8th house Texas 12yrs
9th house will be N.Carolina but I haven't been there yet.
There is a vacation home in there but I don't live in it. I rent it during the summer and enjoy it during the rest of the year.

Now to purge those closets. </span>

wakeupcall

Many people ask if my husband was in the military....HA!

Three apts when newly married.
One mobile home.
Then...KY (this city, two houses),TX, TX, PA, NE, IL, TX, MO, TX (this city, 2 houses)

That adds up to fifteen moves. The last nine we were no longer newly married, so we had a houseful of furniture, children to change school and doctors, etc. IT'S HARD! husband was offered a new job (more money and all) last week. For the first time in 37 years I told him NO. All done. If he wants to go, fine, send me your paycheck.

rejectedmom

WMM, When I go down the intercoastal I will buy a new 36 foot with a cuddy cabin and dual motors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PamelaJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> husband was offered a new job (more money and all) last week. For the first time in 37 years I told him NO. All done. If he wants to go, fine, send me your paycheck. </div></div>

That is exactly what I told my husband. He now lives away from home half the week since he changed jobs again. I am not relocating again until I am ready to downsize immensely. And then it will be to a house I already have furnised! -RM

Kathy813

Staff member
Single years: 3 states (IL, FL, GA) and 5 apartments
Married years: All in GA
Apartment 1 year
Rental House 1 year
First House 7 years
Second House 15 years
Getting ready to downsize

~Kathy

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Single years-
San Francisco- 3 apartments
Idaho- 12 house/apartments

With husband married and living together-

Idaho-1 house, 1 lot (Coeur D'alene)
Indiana- 2 houses (Valparaiso and Chesterton)
(back to Idaho)

Current:
Idaho- Lake House (Sandpoint)
Chicago- Condo downtown

I highly dislike moving.... I never had roots but thought I had planted them in Idaho... until K was born.

Within IL:

Southside Chicago
To Stickney
To Lombard
To Villa Park (2 different places, a shelter, then with friends)
To Oak Park (halfway house)
Back to Lombard (with mom)
To Glendale Heights (with friends)
To Aurora (with dad)
Back to Lombard (mom)
Back to Villa Park (homeless shelter)
To Downers Grove (my first apartment)
TO Westmont
To a new place in Downers Grove (only place I ever owned)
Back to Aurora (dad. Lost the house.)
To Joliet (2 different apartments, with DEX)
To Carol Stream (3rd apt with DEX)
Back to Aurora (back with dad. Left DEX)
To Glen Ellyn (DV shelter)
To Lombard (where I am now, with Tink)

While living at the first apt in Joliet, drove OTR with DEX. Saw every contiguous state except Maine.

everywoman

Fran, where in North Carolina are you relocating????

I have lived in the same house for 20 years. During my first marriage I moved at least 8 times in 4 years.

My next move with be to a houseboat because I too will travel the intercoastal waterway for retirement.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Somewhere in the Raleigh/Durham area. I'm not sure yet. We go this weekend to get a feel for where we want to start looking. Since we don't have kids starting public school in the fall we don't have to rush. I have never been to this area but I'm sure it will be lovely. </span>

Lothlorien

Let's see....
while single I moved within NJ about 8 times and out of state three times.. two times in Florida and once in Pennsylvania.

Since I was married we moved from my last apartment in NJ to our first home and moved into our second home two years ago. so I guess that makes 13 moves. Hopefully, this is our last move. I want to grow old in this house.

slsh

member since 1999
Not counting 2 false starts at college (Emory in 1980 and Univ. of Richmond in 1983):

Apt in 1981 and another in 1983, both in St. Louis.
Sold everything I owned (except car, stereo, and TV) in late 1986 and moved to Hawaii on 1/2/1987. Apt for 2 years.
Married husband and he moved me to WA in 1989 - rented house for 3 years, bought "the pit" in 1992.
Moved to CA in 1996, rented 2-bedroom apt for a year, then a house for 4 months.
Moved to IL in 1997, rented apt for 2 mos, house for 1 year, then bought this place in 1999.

10 moves in 27 years - not horrible I guess. I hate moving. We're already discussing where we'll retire and I'm trying to get rid of the massive quantities of junk that has accumulated. My goal is when Diva heads off to college, all the kids' rooms will be empty, the basement will be empty, and we can just pack up in a day and head out for... not sure yet. WA is my first choice, though Virginia/Carolinas are definite options. husband has finally come around to my way of thinking - we do *not* want neighbors, or to live in a city or even a town. We're having fun just looking right now... of course, we've got at least another 15 years to go, LOL.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Not counting college moves and the one summer I lived in Montana I lived in:
Grew up in Green Bay,
1 apartment in Baraboo (1st year of teaching)
1 apartment first year in Madison
2nd apartment in Madison
3rd apartment in Madison due to fire in complex of the previous.
1 house in Madison-been here 12 years so far.

Interesting note-my 94 year old grandma has always lived in the same house she grew up in. She lives in Buffalo, New York.

On_Call

I really thought I hadn't moved that much until I actually thought about it. I have lived in 9 different locations - although they are all within 50 miles of each other - and all in NY. Weird to think about it.

Home with parents, dorms, apartments, sorority house, more apartments - then husband and I rented a small house for 3 years until the landlord decided to up the rent and we realized if we could afford to pay that then we could afford a mortgage payment and got looking seriously. We've lived in our new 100 year old house for 4+ years now and are still loving it - despite the things were are remodeling and undoing some of the things the prior owner did to the house.

We hope to be here 50 years, although it is our goal to have a vacation/getaway home in the Adirondack mountains by the time easy child graduates high school in 10 years.

husband is from IL and MN and was in the Army for years, so he's been A LOT more places than I have. Fun thread.

Fran, are you moving for work-related reasons or just for a change?

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Jamie, all but the hurricane Andrew move were work related. It's always an adventure. :rolleyes: </span>

On_Call

Fran,

After I posted that question, I realized it really was NONE of my beeswax! lol. Sorry for being so forward - I just wondered because TX to NC is quite a move, but I have had several friends and family move from NY to NC in the past few years just because - and they LOVE it there! They say the weather is nice - jobs are a dime a dozen - and they claim the cost of living isn't bad, either.

Hope you find something you love and that the move is a good one! Again - forgive me for being so nosy!!!

K

Kjs

Two apartments(single) in hometown in Wi. then transfered with work 150 miles away, still in wisconsin. One apartment one house.