How often do you change the sheets?

AppleCori

Saw an old thread asking this question.

The answers were quite funny, so thought I would try this again.

Lets have some fun with this!

Anybody game?

Apple

Copabanana

Hi Apple.

Do you believe I do not have a set schedule?

My mother had a set day, during all of the time we were at home.

Me? When it seems like they are dirty. Which can be 4 days to 6 days. I spend a lot of time in bed, because typically, I use the computer and read in bed.

When I wash the sheets I do so rigorously. By that I mean I put the cycle on heavy duty and do a pre-soak and then pre-wash. Then I add more soap and wash again. I use flannel sheets all through the year, cold and hot weather, which can be very hot--up to 115 is not uncommon. I have come to not like the coolness of regular cotton sheets, no matter how fine the thread count. I use good quality flannel sheets that Macy sells by Martha Stewart, that seem to be wearing well and are very comfortable. I have 2 sets that I rotate so that I can make the bed right away after I remove the dirty sheets. (If by reading this you think I am a good housekeeper, you are sadly mistaken. I am evolving. I strive to be fastidious, I will put it that way.)

I may look back at that earlier thread, as I cannot imagine what could be funny about changing sheets.

I anticipate the responses. I have learned so much on the shopping thread about where to go to learn how to budget and set spending targets. Thank you all.

I wish I could have thought of something funny about my sheets or bed. But no. Boring.

Last edited:

AppleCori

So, what does your bed look like?

Mine is white, with a tall, tall headboard. Kinda in the "Fixer Upper" style. Light beige/off-white comforter.

I only use light beige/off white sheets. Not white, nor any other colors, no patterns. Cotton.

I change them once a week (unless they need to be changed sooner). ;)

Nomad

Staff member
I change ours once a week.
Occasionally, I'll change the pillow cases mid week if I've perspired a lot, had a little cold or something. Something unusual...
I've taken a liking to a sort of maroon color and I have two sets. No patterns.

Copabanana

what does your bed look like?
We use my mother's California king bed. The headboard was hers, too, which is dark wood with caning inside. I have my mother's furniture. None of which was my taste. But because it is hers, I love it. And I have put things together, mixed with my own furniture, in a way that feels unique to me.

We have the bed heaped with cotton comforters (2). The one on top has rose buds. The one below is spring green solid (my mother's). The sheet are a beautiful blue-aqua, not because it necessarily goes the best but because that was one of the sale colors (2/3 off--I would have gotten chartreuse at that price.)

What's on the bed does not take center stage because the walls (all 4, even window walls), have gallery walls with lots of art, mostly prints. My mother in her home had more than 100 framed large pictures, art prints (she had so many that one wall of her garage had a gallery wall.) And I had been buying original art at thrift stores and online for years before. I swear there must be 160 framed and unframed pictures in my house. Even the laundry room and bathroom (one bath I have not decorated) has multiple framed pictures, some original art which I got at St. Vincent de Paul.

It sounds like it would be oppressive, but it is not. I get so much pleasure from these pictures. My mother began collecting hers when I was about 14 years old, (a little over 50 years ago.) I would go with her to antiques auctions where she bought antique frames. I have art prints that my mother herself framed 50 years ago and that I lived with as a teenager. And then she bought more throughout her life.

Last edited:

Copabanana

I've taken a liking to a sort of maroon color
Nomad. This is a coincidence because I have come to adore and seek out colors that span from oxblood to burgundy to maroon. I like every variation: the red browns to the purplish reds. In fact I so long for this color that I bought 2 huge dog beds (that we do not need) just because they were a burgundy/maroonish color. I am forcing myself to return them because THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

It turns out that my living room color scheme has evolved into a little bit of this color (maroon or burgundy?) in the form of splashy roses on a white sofa throw, with shades of pink, dark green and a really pretty sky grey-blue (we have white, white walls and floor, and dark wood furniture. The artwork on the walls is in darker shades of these colors. Very delicate. For some reason I feel like I am in Europe, maybe Paris. I go by and I feel happy, and it is this color, this maroon that makes me happiest (and the dark green--I have always loved that color.)

Thank you Nomad.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Every 2 weeks...unless someone 4 legged pukes on the sheets, Thomas drags something stuck to his butt hair into the bed, or Thomas or I spring a leak. In that case the sheets get washed and a clean set put on immediately.

I have 4 sets of sheets. 2 cotton, and 2 bamboo. I cannot stand flannel or other "warm" sheets.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
microfiber is our favorite! This is odd, but Thursday's I change sheets? Not sure why, schedule for now...a lot of laundry is done in our house. Boys drool and dogs she'd...sol, weekly for sure!

We have a queen antique iron bed. With a sleep number mattress.!

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I would call it butter. White bedding with our accent color of celedon green. Furniture is dark wood....except for the cedar chest...which is a family heirloom...and keeper of all things wool!

Does anyone else have cedar chests?

Copabanana

I would call it butter. White bedding with our accent color of celedon green. Furniture is dark wood
This sounds beautiful mof. I am thinking of painting our bedroom a very very pale creamy yellow called Tallow. It makes me feel happy (and I also bought curtain panels cheap that are that color.)

Copabanana

I so long for this color that I bought 2 huge dog beds (that we do not need) just because they were a burgundy/maroonish color. I am forcing myself to return them because THIS IS RIDICULOUS.
Because of this thread I forced myself to return the two maroon dog beds today and Home Depot would not accept them because I did not have the receipt. So what was I to do except to bring the 2 maroon dog beds back home.

What a nonsensical post. Don't I have anything better to do? I guess not.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This sounds beautiful mof. I am thinking of painting our bedroom a very very pale creamy yellow called Tallow. It makes me feel happy (and I also bought curtain panels cheap that are that color.)

What an unattractive name for the color. Tallow is any rendered herbivore fat that is solid at room temperature.

KTMom91

Well...it's Hubby who changes the sheets...because the people who built our little house in 1917 did not foresee the need for things like closets and bathrooms and queen sized beds...and the bed fits exactly into the alcove created when the bathroom was added. Changing the sheets requires one to kneel on the bed and fight with each corner of the mattress individually. After three knee surgeries, I cannot kneel without great pain.

And to answer the question...once a week in the summer because it's hot and I sweat. A lot. In the winter...no set timetable.

AppleCori

microfiber is our favorite! This is odd, but Thursday's I change sheets? Not sure why, schedule for now...a lot of laundry is done in our house. Boys drool and dogs she'd...sol, weekly for sure!

We have a queen antique iron bed. With a sleep number mattress.!

I change sheets on Thursdays, too. It is my one (half) day to myself, when my daughter goes to classes, so I try to get my housework done while she is gone.

Do you like your sleep number mattress? We had one, and I hated it. Not sure if it was because my hubby weighs more than double what I do, but I always felt like I was laying sideways on a slide. Maybe it was because we went to a queen. We had to get a new 'regular' mattress and went back to a king. I don't like sleeping on a regular air mattress with hubby so I don't know why I thought a sleep number would be a good idea.

AppleCori

Because of this thread I forced myself to return the two maroon dog beds today and Home Depot would not accept them because I did not have the receipt. So what was I to do except to bring the 2 maroon dog beds back home.

What a nonsensical post. Don't I have anything better to do? I guess not.

Maybe you really do need two huge maroon dog beds?