How to be a parent to an addict that is 32 yrs old???

My 32 year old son is an heroin addict should I Stop having contact with him?

• Keep trying to help him.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop all contact with him.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Mintchip

I'm taking my 29 year old son to a shelter on Saturday. He came to stay with us temporarily while waiting to get into yet another inpatient program. He used heroin and numerous other drugs over the past 11 years, been in and out of jail, and in and out of so many programs, I have lost count. He had been doing really well - or so I believed but has completely gone off the rails again. He knew that staying with us meant no drugs whatsoever, yet as I write this he is high again. It sickens me and breaks my heart but I know what is to come if he stays here.

God bless everyone of you that reads and writes on these forums. It is a good reminder that we are not facing these issues alone.

Copabanana

Mintchip. Hi. Why not start your own thread?

My heart hurts for you being in this difficult position. I do not know what to say. Except take care of yourself. Taking him to the shelter makes sense but I do not know your situation: are there younger children? Are you alone?

I want you to be OK. Take care.

Mintchip

Thanks Copabanana. Yes, I thought I might do that with a thread. No younger children and not alone; I have a husband who is very supportive.