How to find good advocate

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by somerset, Jan 6, 2012.

  1. somerset

    somerset Member

    I want to at least have a consulation with an advocate who handles IEPs/504s. I've been looking online. There are kind of a lot in my city, but I have no idea which ones are good and really know what they are doing. Is there some way besides directly talking to them? I don't trust testimonials on their websites. Also, most of them seem oriented toward ADHD and autism issues. difficult child's situation is different.
  2. TeDo

    TeDo Guest

    You might want to give a call to your state's Dept of Education and ask them for names. An advocate does NOT have to be a lawyer but someone that knows Special Education rules, laws, and practices. In MN, we have the PACER Center although someone told me they are nation-wide. If you have one of those near you give them a call. If not, call the one closest to you and ask them for names of people in your area.

    Sorry I can't help you any more than that.