How to get a difficult child to take a blood test

Marguerite

Norma, welcome.

For future reference - the child's fear is real. he isn't trying to be difficult or naughty, he is panicked. He doesn't have the knowledge or experience we have, and especially in this situation he was totally out of control and totally unconsidered by the doctor or the nurse. They both sounded very unfeeling and the doctor's remark certainly wouldn't have helped.

Your older son crying would have set off the younger one, too. Be prepared for needle phobia there as well, later on (I hope it doesn't happen though).

I do not blame your older son one little bit. If the blood draw was at all successful, I think he earned the reward.

For future reference - he needs a doctor who will either explain things to him, or give him time to come to terms with what has to be done, or both. Springing it on him at the last minute, forcing him physically or bullying him into it - it will make the problems worse next time, not better.

Our kids need to feel more in control. Or at least, less OUT of control.

And think about how the doctor should have behaved if it had been YOU who he needed blood from. The doctor MUST NOT do anything without informed consent. OK, YOU probably understood so legally the doctor had covered his rear. But from your son's point of view - HE was not informed. And morally, he should have been.

Sometimes adults forget just how bad fear can feel, to a child. And a blood draw, for a child - it's often more painful, more unpleasant, because their veins are smaller and they don't have the prior experience to know what to do.

I wasn't a difficult child, but I remember my mother taking me as a child to get a vaccination. I would have been about ten years old. I knew I had to have a shot and was very nervous, almost crying. My mother was not someone prone to pandering to any childish fears, she was quite capable of forcing the issue; but she didn't. Back then, back in the days when children really WERE "seen and not heard", the doctor followed my mother's lead and allowed me to be informed and carefully prepared for the ordeal.

My mother also had to have a shot. She rolled up her sleeve and put her hand on her hip. She showed me how to hold still, and how to breathe slowly while keeping still. "It feels a little like a mosquito bite," she told me. "Only it won't itch later on. And you need it, to make sure you stay well."
I watched while my mother stood, smiling, and breathing slowly while the doctor injected her arm. Then she showed me her arm - the tiny dot of blood showed me how small the needle really was. Then she rolled her sleeve back down.

My turn. I tried to be brave, I put my hand on my hip. But it stung a lot - so I breathed. Before I could raise a loud protest, it was over. I had shed a few tears but nothing more. My mother gave me a hug and told the doctor, "I said she was a brave, sensible girl."

Getting a shot is far more painful than getting a blood draw. Sometimes the child needs to know this, before a blood draw. A shot uses a smaller needle and still it stings. Surely (in the child's mind) the blood draw, with the thicker needle, will hurt even more?

There are several reasons why not.

First, a blood draw is taking blood OUT of the body, and via a vein. A shot is forcing some fluid INTO the body, usually into the muscle. There is no space the fluid is going into, so it has to be pushed into the tissues. The fluid has to press on other bits in there, it's like forcing a pebble into your muscle. It is going to feel bruised, at best.

Second, simple fluid dynamics means tat a smaller bore needle is going to produce higher pressure at its outlet. Think of the old 'flit' guns used for insect spray - the tiny hole at the end of the long cylinder works by forcing fluid through a tiny hole, and it comes out with a lot of pressure, enough to spread aerosol around the room. husband has learned, and I have also put into practice, the principle that if you have to have a shot, especially a large volume shot, it will hurt far LESS if a thicker needle is used. So instead of the hair-thin 25g needle they use for a shot, we both now ask for a 21g or thicker. It hurts less and also leaves less of a bruised feeling afterwards.

I've seen both methods - first, force it on the child because it has to be done; or second, take a bit longer, explain it to the child, and get him to understand WHY it has to be done and to feel some ownership in what is happening to his own body. And for longer-term success - I will go for informing the child, every time.

Marg

mstddybr

Thanks Marguerite,
I agree with you 100 percent. My son IS really fearful and not trying to be difficult. He wants to be brave and to go through with it but doesn't know how. He was crying this morning from the thought of going to the lab to get his blood drawn. I told him not to worry because we probably won't go today anyhow. I should've prepared him a bit more and maybe I do need to take a day off to make sure I'm not rushed. I am willing to do my part but the people at the lab just want to keep the line of people moving and might not be so patient. It is unfortunate. I am definitely going to switch doctors but I want to take advantage that we have the order for the blood test ready to go. I am thankful for the tips and stories everyone has shared. I am so thankful I found this forum.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hmmm this is the second time I've used this answer today

handcuffs and duct tape

Just kidding, I have learned to not tell difficult child II, difficult child I is a human pin cushion and unaffected by needles! But difficult child II goes white or white hot if given the opportunity. So I call ahead, plan to go as late in the evening as possible (unless he needs to fast) and I give him a melatonin about an hour b4 we go. Then I pray

Marguerite

We're going to be using emla cream for every blood draw from here on. And I'm no longer going to accept any 'bad behaviour' or hurrying tactic from any medical staff. We have to remember - WE are the customers, they are the service providers. So I will tell them ahead of time, "My child needs to be handled gently and not bullied; he needs emla cream and information or you will find it costs you more time than you think you might save by trying to rush him."
If they cannot accept this then they will find themselves in a lot of hot water - EVERYBODY deserves respect. How can you teach respect to a child, if you do not first SHOW respect to that child? How would the same medical personnel handle a wealthy but fearful elderly woman? Because there should be NO difference.

I'm also going to plan ahead and telephone beforehand to make sure we will find staff who will give us time and be supportive. Any staff who are NOT supportive, especially after an obvious heads up - well, that is what complaints procedures are for. Given the choice of protecting the feelings of the medical staff, or supporting my child to overcome his fears - I will now put my child well ahead. He IS only a child. They are mature adults, allegedly trained to handle a wide range of situations including fearful patients.

This is now my mantra.

Marg

Charmedpea

I dont have any advise, sorry. My difficult child I doesnt have a problem getting needles either does my son thank god I dont think anyone could hold him down if they had to at 17 6'5 265lbs.

the funny part is I'm the problem. Last time I had my teeth cleaned I had my 17yrs old hold my hand, I almost passed out.

I'm a big chicken. Charmed