How to I get speech therapy at school?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by ML, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ML

    ML Guest

    I know our school has a visiting Speech Therapist (ST) and after weeks calling her she called me back and agreed to evaluate manster. Her recommendation was that he practice a list of about 4 pages of words daily. We tried, but I was never sure I was instructing him the right way. He can't say "rs". I'm beginning to panic because he's getting older and the hope he'd outgrow it is obviously now fantasy.

    So what has to happen to qualify for ST services? All we have currently is a 504 for adhd, anxiety and tics, no more formal diagnosis on the books. What diagnosis does he need to make this happen, anyone know? I'm sure we could manage most of them lol.

    Any help and direction would be most appreciated.

    Thank you!

  2. jal

    jal Member

    Hi ML,

    My difficult child was just granted ST. You don't need a diagnosis for qualify for speech intervention. We requested an evaluation for speech when we moved him out of district. They did and said it was probably developmental and he'd grow out of it. (He was 6 at the time and missing his top teeth). Then during our IEP meeeting this Jan the school actually brought it back to the table. The teachers and aides he interacted with were noticing some issue. So we gave the go ahead for a complete evaluation. We just met the recently and he was granted ST. He tested well in 3 out of 4 sections and although there is one area where he has issue it doesn't phase him at all. The hope is to correct it quickly before it becomes an issue.

    It took 3 months to complete my sons evaluation - they were very thorough and because he has a lot of attention issues they had to break it up into small chunks for him.

    Now you say that she recommended he practice words...Did she do a complete evaluation before that or does she want him to practice these words before an evaluation? I know the speech therapist told us difficult child would eventually have "homework" to work on.

    If the evaluation was not done, I would formally request one in writing via certified mail. Are there any teachers that he has that can back you regarding his speech issue? A conversation with one of them may help the process.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.