How to keep apple slices fresh

F

flutterbee

I wondered if anyone knows the trick to keep apple slices crisp and from changing colors?

I often don't have the strength in my hands these days to cut the apples. So, when I do or when I have someone around to do it for me, I'd like to cut them up and store them so I can have some whenever I want. I'm actually doing this with all my fruits and veggies. But, apples always turn brown and get kinda mushy when you cut them up and store them in the fridge.

Thanks.

klmno

I had heard once that a couple of drops of lemon juice thrown in a ziplock bag with them would do it- but I'm not convinced that it really works...I never had any luck with apples lasting very long once sliced either.

Andy

I have heard that lemon juice helps.

I have also learned that in some stores (maybe just larger towns?) you can now purchase apples already sliced.

everywoman

Yep, lemon juice will do the trick. Just a few drops though. I also know that those green bags they sell for produce help a lot.

klmno

I get those packages of sliced apples and dip for difficult child sometimes- they are kept fresh, however, they cost a lot more than just buying some apples and slicing them yourself.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
I use 7-up or Sprite, just dip the apple slices in the soda for a second or two and then place the apples in a container. The soda is not as tart as dipping them in lemon juice.

susiestar

Roll With It
Lemon or lime juice diluted in water, or orange juice work. It is the Vit. C that keeps apples from oxidizing. They do make some stuff called "Fruit Fresh" but it is just ascorbic acid. I like to keep packets of True Lemon and True Lime around so that I can have just a little bit of lemon or lime juice (they are dehydrated juice) and not have a whole big bottle taking up fridge room.

F

flutterbee

Thanks so much! I'll try these ideas and let you know which I like best. I won't be going to the store again til Wednesday.

Susie - I noticed on the apple slices from Subway that the ingredients listed ascorbic acid and I figured that's what it was that kept them fresh. I might just look for the Fruit Fresh stuff, too. Give them all a whirl and see what I like best. I don't like my apples tart.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yep...lemon or lime juice will keep them fresh. I squirt a shot of lemon in a Zip-lot bag and seal it up. They last a good week or so.

Also, if you're in a decent market, you can ask the produce department to cut it up for you. They don't care...you're paying by the pound. Write up one of those employee evaluations when you leave and they'll gladly do it EVERY time you come in.

I see in my market where they have the prepacked ones. There are much more expensive, but look really good. Kind of makes you wonder what is in them. Shoot...in a week I've aged a year. What do those apples have going on???

Abbey

Marguerite

I have a V-slicer, it's one of those gadgets for slicing/chopping vegetables & fruit. I love it, it's wonderful for doing the job FAST but without electricity.

I also bought an apple peeling gadget some time ago, I find peeling them a problem.

But the easiest way - I cut apples in half, core them with a melon baller, then slice them with the V-slicer. I can slice an entire apple in 5 seconds.

The lemon juice is wonderful for keeping the slices from discolouring. Another cute trick - freeze the apple slices, ten put them, frozen, into a zip-lok bag in the freezer. That way you can begin slicing apples whenever you want to.

Marg