How to lose 1+ pounds overnight

N

Nomad

I just had to share something with you guys. I am sharing it with friends.
I went on something like the Paleo diet recently and am finally (knock on wood, crossing myself, etc.) pretty much at goal weight and am happy with the way I look (some more knocking on wood, crossing myself, throwing salt over my shoulders, etc.)
However, my weight fluctuates rather easily.
This system I have found, has kept the changes (going up) at bay.
Someone suggested that I do the following and it is HELPING ME SIGNIFICANTLY.

To lose the weight, I did and still largely do low carb. I have also found that for me personally, dairy is somewhat of an issue too, so I eat little dairy. The only dairy I have is FF Half and Half in my coffee and feta cheese in my salad (sometimes).
I eat lots of veggies, lean meats and some fruits that are relatively low on the glycemic index.

I've been able to lose weight on this diet. But, even with all of this, my weight sometimes fluctuate. Or I might simply want to have a some bread and that bumps my weight up. Or , maybe I'm stressed and this causes some weight gain.

Here is the key:

1. Weigh every day. Do the low carb thing (or whatever plan you might be on)
2. If your weight is creeping up.. let's say by two pounds...the next day do the following diet for one day

*Drink mostly water for beverages. In fact, drink a lot of water.
A little tea and coffee is ok throughout the day. Coffee can either be black or with a little FF milk
*Breakfast...One egg white if hungry. Otherwise, only coffee. Don't have the egg white unless you are very hungry.
*Lunch...A small amount of tuna, lots of green leafy lettuce (all kinds are ok), no salad dressing, one teaspoon reduced fat mayonnaise (if desired). (I use one of those small pop up cans of tuna).
*Dinner....Steak as appropriate for your appetite and size. Approximately 4-6 ounces. One tomato. Add a little salf of desired.
*No snacks....if hungry late at night, have some more tomato, a coffee or a sparkling water.

The next day, you will lose weight. I lose 1.5 to two pounds each time I do this...and of course you probably shouldn't do this more than one time a week. It is simply for correcting days that seem out of place...like a plateau or inappropriate weight gain.

I do believe (hoping/knocking on wood/crossing myself) that this will FINALLY keeping me from gaining back (hush/G-d forbid) the weight I lost this time.

Let me know if anyone tries this!

DDD

When I startied dieting I, too, used basically low carb. Honestly I don't remember where I was on the scale when I started but I know my goal was 135. I got down to l37...now I am back to 140. It is not the diet. It is my poor choices. My oldest gd is getting married the first week of November and I may just try your method for a day or two to see if I can get back on track. When I get stressed (and wow am I stressed lately) I just don't have the self discipline that is needed. You would think by seventy I would know how to control myself, lol. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Years ago when I was serious about getting in shape, I did follow a fairly similar diet/meal plan as what you describe, and combined with exercise lost weight pretty easily. I got down to 130 and a size 10 (I was a hair under 5'8" back then) and that was the absolute best shape I've ever been in. Of course, I was in my early 20s and had the time and lifestyle (translation: low stress) that allowed me to do all that. Sigh.

On a positive note, I have lost about 5 pounds since summer started without really trying -- mostly from not snacking and not eating out like I used to. And that was pretty easy to do because it was a relatively stress-free summer. Now that school is back in session, just in the past two weeks I've noticed I'm not eating as well as I should. We'll see how it goes...

InsaneCdn

The stress-food link and weight gain.

There's two sides to this - and if you know which side you are on, it helps. I've been on both.
1) carb-craving - carbs cut the impact of stress hormones. SO, when we're stressed, we crave carbs. I've found in this case, it helps to go for "high-value" reward carbs in small doses... so, I'm better off with a small piece of premium chocolate, than a PBJ sandwich.

2) nibble-craving - in this case, its the need to "do" something... so, substitute low-cal, low-carb nibbles as much as possible. I find a handful of roasted soy nuts to be quite satisfying (eat them ONE at a time) with limited calories.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If I don't eat something for breakfast... BAD NEWS. I get hungry between 8:30 and 9:00 every morning. So... I have packets of oatmeal and grits at work, as well as yogurt & rice chex (I can't stand the slimy of plain yogurt).

This keeps me from eating a lot at lunch...

I have a snack around 3... Usually a handful of rice chex or triscuits.

And then dinner is around 6, and not huge.

Sometimes I have a snack around 9 PM - usually on weekends when I'm up a little later.

We don't usually have dessert in my house... The fiber I eat keeps things from stopping up, and though I'm not losing weight, I'm not gaining any, either.

N

Nomad

Another thing I have found (other than dairy isn't great for me either) is that diet coke might put a little weight on me or at the very least, makes me LESS likely to lose weight, even when all other things are going well.
Same with dairy and same with "junk" food in general.
So, to lose weight, I have to eat HEALTHY and eat basically low carb. That means lean meat,fish, eggs, lots of vegetables, selected fruits and a small amount of nuts...some beans too.
The fruits I eat are mostly apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit and sometimes oranges and pears.
Junk food, sugar, most carbs and for the most part alcohol are out.
I do eat now and again Ezekial Bread and once in a great while a tiny piece of regular bread (especially if it looks healthy...like whole grain, etc.) I'm saving one glass of wine for special holidays like my birthday, Christmas, etc. (perhaps four times a year)
This diet (the one I mentioned in the first post) is almost a diet within a diet. It is only suppose to be used once in awhile during unexpected weight gain while dieting or a long plateau.
If done properly and appropriately (don't do it two days in a row OR even more than once a week) it REALLY WORKS and it is almost like MAGIC! :)

Jody

I know how important it is to lose a pound or remain at a certain weight, and I know it's only for one day a week, hopefully you won't do it more than that. I have lost 36 lbs in 4 months and I really haven't dieted at all. I eat strangely but I feel 100% better than I did when I mostly skipped breakfast, ate a big lunch and then a smaller dinner. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I started thinking about everything that I eat and drink, and what it does for my body. For Breakfast, I sometimes eat a bowl of cereal, Fibre Plus with Silk Soy Milk, also a big bowl of wilted spinach, and iced tea with my medicine, snack is a hard boiled egg or two, and dinner is something meatless with a soy product or just tons of vegetables and fruits. Sometimes brown rice or quinoa, skipped my lunch menu, 1/2 or whole bag of brussel sprouts, sweet potato, beans. I don't eat high fructose corn syrup, meat, msg. My health has improved greatly and I have a ton of energy. My bones don't ache like they used to. My firbomyalga is still hurting at times but nothing like before. My iron is back up, thanks to the spinach everyday and eggs. No more b12 shots. I don't eat a lot of carbs because they make me sleepy and make me want more. I know I am a little extreme, but I was so far extreme the other way that I was very unhealthy and severely obese, I still am, but I don't feel it at all. My difficult child is now eating better also. My oldest always ate this way. I follow a menu by Dr. Weil, for inflammatory issues and it works very well for my arthritis. Red peppers, mushrooms, spinach, garlic are just some of the things on his list. I try to eat them every day. I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue and I can honestly say that in the last five months, I have not had one episode of it, if I am tired it's because I have been staying up too late reading.

Jody

Nomad,
I like your second post, sounds like you have a good handle on the "good foods" too. I eat a lot of seeds too, flax, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin. Great source of vitamin E and really good for cellular growth. I have a recipe for a meatless meatloaf, that is absolutely delicious, and even greater the second day. It's made from lentils, oatmeal, garlic, tomato sauce, onions, parmesan cheese (small amount), and you bake them in a muffin tin. Each of my kids like different vegetables, so you can creat your own. My carnivore child (difficult child) absolutely loved it and was the first one done with hers. easy child and I put mushrooms, red peppers, zucchini, spinach in ours. It taste much better than hamburger, much more flavor. We eat beans every week, one pot is made and that is our food to eat when mom does not want to cook. Oh yeah, you can also freeze your individual "meatloafs" and pull them out and heat them up.

N

Nomad

Jody..
I CAN say (husband too!) that I feel better since doing all of this. I too eat lots of spinach. About once a week, I go to Whole Foods (sometimes I make it myself too) and get a Green Machine Smoothie that they make fresh. WE both found that the carbs were not only putting weight on us, but making us sleepy. We don't shun carbs altogether, but we do limit them. We feel that perhaps somewhat due to age (not sure) we needed more protein in our days and the extra vegetables are also a great boost. We are eating healthier than ever....have found that diet soda and sugar for example, are NOT our friends. I've been meaning to try hemp....heard you can bread chicken with it, for example.

Jody

Hemp is delicious. I can just eat it plain right out of the bag. I also like a little in my sugar free chocolate pudding which is so good. I wish I had started eating like this years ago. I would't have had such issues with my knees. Ugh, But I am glad that I am doing it now. I recently had a check up with my hematologist and no one in his office drinks diet any kids of soda. He said Diet Soda is really killing people. It is so bad on the liver and it does make you gain weight. It makes you crave more sugar for one thing. His nurse said I am glad to hear you are not drinking it and if you have to have a soda have a regular soda, not a diet. My rheumatologist told me that is really clogs up your liver and it doesn't filter the way it should. He told me that if I gave up soda I should notice a big difference in how I felt. It took about 3 days and I started to have less achiness, in my fingers and joints, then I noticed my back arthritis wasn't as bad then my knees. I am sure that losing some weight had a lot to do with it, but dropping the soda did help. I do know people that say it never worked for them. Everyone is different though, so something else might help decrease their symptoms. I have never had a fresh Green machine Smoothie, just the store bought one. I do prefer the blue kind though.

When I had insomnia I used to purposely eat carbohydrates so I might have a chance of getting some sleep. it mostly worked. I wish we had a Whole Foods store here. I have heard they are great. I have over a hundred pounds to lose, I don't think of it often, because I know it's coming off, but I sure would like to be at my goal weight one of these days soon. My daughter will be coming back from college for a weekend in late October and I would like to lose 20 lbs to surprise her. That's a lot of weight in 6 weeks. But at 2 lbs a week or more I think i can do it.

The only brown rice I eat is called Nishaki and it is delicious. It has a great texture and flavor. I buy it at Meijer. Do you have a Meijer store in your city. They have a really good produce aisle.

N

Nomad

No we don't have that store here.
I LOVE that other Green Machine, but it does have carbs and maybe some sugar too. I have it rarely, only a little and think of it as a "dessert," which is kinda funny because it is mostly veggies with some fruit in it.
I will look into the hemp...but meaning to for months. What isle might I find it in? What does it look like? Do you get a particular brand, etc.?
I also like quinoa...but it is not the easiest thing to make. It has carbs (protein too), so I don't have it often or in large quantities.
Whole Foods has it in the salad bar and sometimes I pick it up this way.
I'm so glad you feel better. It is very noticeable that our health is better since eating in a healthier manner.
husband, myself and one of my friends in particular have all noticed that diet soda is a huge problem and we avoid it.
If I want something a little naughty, I have an iced tea with a Truvia packet and a 1/3 packet of sweet and low. This makes the tea VERY sweet.
Yep, I do REALLY like Whole Foods...but it can get habit forming and expensive. I try to be careful!
Congrats on losing weight and feeling better. Keep up the good work!

InsaneCdn

husband, myself and one of my friends in particular have all noticed that diet soda is a huge problem.

Its not just the diet soda... sugarless gum and candy have the same problems.
If you're going to have a soda, then have the real thing and in moderation. Ditto for candy - although I try to steer the kids toward high-quality chocolate instead.

Wow, I know this may be weird, but a good way to lose weight fast is to not eat. NOTHING AT ALL for 2 or 3 days-you can have lot's of diet soda and coffee. Then,you won't be hungry anymore. Then you could have half a Lean Cuisine and be totally stuffed, or you may not even want to eat THAT. You won't be hungry at all. It is not healthy!!!! I know it, but it's a back up in case of emergency.

H

HaoZi

I did best weight-wise eating whole grains and lots of low fat dairy. Low-carb wraps not just for sandwiches but also to make thin-crust pizzas in my toaster oven with skim mozzarella and green olives on them, sometimes bacon bits for added taste and satisfaction.