How was the weather this summer in your neck of the woods?

BusynMember

Mid-Wisconsin was cool (lots of 70's) and nice. We had a few storms, but where I live only a few, although we did have hail. I heard it was worse in southern Wisconsin! All in all, I don't like very hot weather so hubby and I enjoyed it.
What about you?

Mid-Wisconsin was cool (lots of 70's) and nice. We had a few storms, but where I live only a few, although we did have hail. I heard it was worse in southern Wisconsin! All in all, I don't like very hot weather so hubby and I enjoyed it.
What about you?
Even hotter than normal in Fl.: many days the feel like went over 100 and very humid. We have also had more than normal rain.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Summer?

What summer?? We had perpetual spring / fall weather until this past week when temps suddenly jumped from the mid 70's into the 90's with high humidity. blech Although today went back to the lower 80's thankfully.

Weather was nice and enjoyable. BUT it wrecked havoc with my garden. Too much wet, not enough heat/sun........fungus. Green beans have done well and I'm hoping for a 4th harvest. Peppers did well. Carrots are find. I got one giant zucchini then the plant died. I dunno what happened with my spanish onions because they didn't do a darn thing. Pumpkins? Waiting to see if they survive the fungus. Sweet potatoes might have bitten the dust. Herbs did well though.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm in Wisconsin, a couple hours south of MWM, and our summer was a lot like hers. We had lots of 70s and low 80s with 60s and high 80s sprinkled in. It wasn't great for hanging out at the pool (which I love to do) but it was very nice for a lot of other things and the one day when I really wanted it to be hot (this past Sunday) it was; we went on a 10 mile canoe trip down part of the Wisconsin River.

I'm sure, however, now that school is starting for the kiddos on Tuesday we will begin to experience much warmer weather!

SuZir

Here at Northern Europe it ended up being okayish. (Or maybe we have just repressed the trauma the June caused us.) After one nice, warm week in late May, the June was awful. I mean, fresh snow couple days before Midsummer's Eve isn't even a bad joke any more but a crying matter and four weeks of rain and temperatures topping 50 F during the day if we were lucky didn't help.

However in early July the summer picked herself up and we ended up with the great July, sunny and hot enough, mostly mid or high 70 F. August have given us quite a lot of thunders and way too much rain (after the June we had this kind of rains during the harvest time make us very happy about global food economy, if not that, there would not be weight problems around here come next summer.) Now it is decidedly autumnish though quite warm considering the time. We still have day temperatures in 60s and not under 40 during the night.

Nomad

Staff member
I'm in the South East, US (sorry not specific) and it was HOT. I'm hoping to go to one of these states that has moderate or even cool temps in the summer for a weeks vacation next summer. Sounds dreamy!

LittleDudesMom

Very mild - a lovely summer in this part of the southeast - I believe I am a little north of Nomad because it's been wonderful here. It's supposed to go up to the high 90's just in time for the schools to reopen though!

DammitJanet

Its been hot here this year for me. Not too bad in this new little house though because its actually a house for one and its also got trees to shade it. I do know its been really hot though because my poor lil pick up truck has pitiful AC and it could barely blow out warm air...lol.

I am a wuss when it comes to heat so we had to buy a window unit to put in the house. I was really afraid I was going to roast because I could only get a 13,000BTU because I couldnt go beyond regular 110 house current. Its an old house not wired for a larger unit. We have been comfortable as long as I keep the one in the living room going, my small 5,000 BTU going in my bedroom and the doors closed on the two bedrooms we dont use. When Monkey comes over we open her room up and it cools in there but for a little while the house warms up a bit till the air circulates. Oddly, my power bills are lower now than they have ever been!

SuZir

Scratch the "not going under 40s" and double the "being happy about global food markets."

We just came for End of the Summer party with friends, and I was almost sissy enough to want a cab even though we were less than a mile away from home. It was a cold walk in my summer dress. Would had needed that cab if not husband being a gent and giving me his coat.

We are now at 38 F, going down and it is still around midnight. We may well have out first night frosts tonight at least in lower lands.

Winter is coming.

Californiablonde

It was decent here in California. Mostly mid 80's with a couple of heat waves that didn't last too long. I don't mind the heat but I can't stand humidity, and it was a little more humid this summer than usual. It makes it hard for me to sleep. I am really looking forward to fall weather but it won't be happening in the next week or so. It is supposed to warm up into the upper 80's by tomorrow and stay that way for a few days.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cool for the most part in the Northwoods of WI. Mostly 70s with sixties thrown in.

Wetter than usual, but oddly, Spring storms weren't bad. We've been making up for it by getting clobbered lately with severe thunderstorms.

Today it is 66* and going down into the 40s tonight. I have the AC off and the windows open. It is actually SUNNY out for a change.

Scent of Cedar *

We are in WI, too.

We came home late this year because Winter had been hard and had lasted longer than usual.

I think we got here the first weekend in May. Except for a little rim near shore, the lake was still frozen over.

Generally, ice out happens March or early April.

Our summer has followed suit. We seem to be about a month behind. We were snow covered much of May, so sun could not warm the ground. Gardens went in late. A cool, rainy summer. Now, we are finding temps falling at night, and growing season nearly over.

Though leafy crops did well, corn did not ripen, tomatoes are small ( though really sweet and flavorful).

No cucs, yet. They usually ripen beginning early in July.

I forgot to mention that our winter was such that buds on the apple trees froze.

We have very few apples this year.

Very strange, and we really miss them.

SuZir, it sounds like your summer had been even cooler than ours. Are your leaves changing colors?

Ours are just now beginning.

Birch first.

Then maple.

:0)

Cedar

SuZir

SuZir, it sounds like your summer had been even cooler than ours. Are your leaves changing colors?
Ours are just now beginning.
Birch first.
Then maple.

Yes, colours are changing. First blueberries and now birches. For maples we are in bit too north. They do grow here, but only in warmest and most sheltered places. In fact almost only in gardens. You seldomly see a little wild maple but they almost never get big before one winter is too much for them.

However last week has been very warm for us. 60 F and even warmer almost every day, so coming autumn has slowed down. We also had a good summer for apples and plums and I'm currently going through thousand and one ways to use and preserve both. It is also a great year for porcini, not so much for other mushrooms.

muttmeister

Summer here was slightly cooler than usual and dry but lately we've had torrential rains and last night it was in the high 30s. Yesterday the high was 57; normal is around 80. I think we may have an early fall.

in a daze

In Chicago. It has been a really weird summer in the Midwest. By that I mean we are always complaining about the heat and humidity, but not this year. It has been beautiful, 70's, low 80's, with some rainy periods.

The weather was just gorgeous in Ireland this July. 70's hardly any rain. They tell us climate change due to global warming. I have pictures of us in 1972 wearing jackets in August. Wonder if the weather is different in your part of Europe, Suzir.

KTMom91

It's been HOT here in Central CA...we've had about 50 days over 100 degrees this summer. This heat is seriously adding to the drought we're experiencing. Some people are now without water because their wells dried up. Farmers aren't planting because they have no water for irrigation. It's over 100 today, too.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We had to turn our heat in this past week. We shut it off today and opened windows because it is in the mid 60s but tomorrow the heat may have to go on because it is only going to get to 59. I don't even remember ever turning on the heat in September before. I hope this is not a sign of things to come!

SuZir

The weather was just gorgeous in Ireland this July. 70's hardly any rain. They tell us climate change due to global warming. I have pictures of us in 1972 wearing jackets in August. Wonder if the weather is different in your part of Europe, Suzir.

We live in the part of the world there natural variance in weather is great. Not so much from day to day, but it is perfectly as normal to have two first weeks of January to be around 30 F or -30 F and everything between. So it is very difficult to say if we have seen effects of global warming yet. Our last winter simply sucked. Very little snow and very, very warm. Only few weeks of cold (and that was without snow so quite a lot of things died, our plants can take -30 F easily in normal conditions but they do not take it well without snow to protect them. However, before that we had three very cold and snowy winters, one very, very warm summer and one chilly and rainy and one quite average.

With that kind of natural variance it takes quite long term averages before we can say anything sure about how global warming affects in our neck of the woods.