How's everyone doing in the New Year so far?

trinityroyal

I know that a number of us were trying to get through the holiday season without totally falling off the wagon, and have a healthy start to the new year.

So...how's everyone doing so far?

I'm pretty pleased with progress overall. Although I don't tend to make new year's resolutions, husband and I committed to refocusing on our health this year. We have been trying to stick to a healthy eating program. Just before Christmas, I bought a new set of food storage containers. They are all in 1/2 cup, 1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup and 7 cup sizes. I cook in batches over the weekend, and then deploy everything into the appropriate sized containers. husband, Little easy child and I help ourselves from the fridge for breakfasts, lunches and snacks, and I use a similar approach for dinners. Sp far, it's been working very well. It's taken a lot of the thinking-weighing-measuring tedium out of the daily meal prep, which gives us time to just sit down and enjoy the meals.

husband and I have also been working out together. I've still been keeping up with pilates nearly every day, and I've incorporated a few dance-fitness and boot camp workouts for additional cardio, but husband has started doing a low-impact cardio workout with me every day. With his back, knee and hip problems he hasn't been terribly active for the last few years, so he's had to start slowly, but he's persistent and has not skipped a workout yet. I'm so very proud of him.

Trinity

Trinity,

Way To Go!! You and your husband are doing a great job!! I'm very proud of both of you!! Love the storage container method for portion control.

I've been too embarrassed to post. I fell off the wagon big-time and was afraid to get on the scale. I've been taking "baby steps." For about a week, I've been brushing and flossing after dinner in an effort to stay out of the kitchen. So far it's been working. Yesterday I finally had enough courage to weigh myself - Not good!! I headed for the exercise room and used the elliptical for 45 minutes. I used it again this morning. All of my clothes are tight. I'm so angry at myself for letting this happen. I think I finally have the motivation I need to get back into shape...

Thanks for starting this thread. I know I need to come back here often. SFR

buddy

I love that idea, good for you.... I do that in little bits but I think doing a set up for the week is a great idea.

KTMom91

Went back to the gym today, and am feeling it already. They had this cute little machine, like an elliptical on a recumbent bicycle, and since I'm supposed to be doing very low impact stuff, I gave it a try.

Ouch. I am sore all over. And I'm hungry again.

trinityroyal

Way To Go everyone!

SFR -- I know it's hard. It's just about the hardest thing ever to start again after slipping. Congratulations on getting back into it. Keep up the good work.

Buddy -- I've found that they key is in the containers and the ingredients. I try to mix-and-match foods so that they all go together. For example, if Little easy child wants fruit salad for lunch, he can grab 1/2-cup containers of strawberries, grapes and pineapple slices and mix them together. Makes life SO much easier, and I'm not constantly hearing "Mummy, there's nothing to eat in the house." anymore.

Mary -- Good for you for getting back to the gym. That recumbent elliptical machine sounds interesting, and a nice change from the standing elliptical or recumbent bike.

husband and I are still pressing on. Last night, instead of the fitness DVD we went power-walking through the mall. We've been really focusing on diet, and I've been trying very hard to keep away from the chocolate, and to not eat after 7:00 pm. The late-night eating is the hardest thing for me, because I get cold and sleepy and end up wanting to eat to stay awake. I think my answer is to get to bed earlier, but that's been a bit tough lately.

Keep it up everyone. You're doing well and I'm proud of all of you.
Trinity

InsaneCdn

Trinity - late night eating... cold and tired? nothing that a good cuppa won't solve... a nice mug of hot tea with just a WEE dab of honey... ups the metabolic rate, gets you warm again.. and isn't much for calories!

N

Nomad

Way To Go and good to hear folks are progressing.
When I eat properly ("diet") and/or exercise with my husband, I do better.
I personally am all over the place.
Did well for awhile, but then when my father got sick and passed away at the end of the summer, I really fell apart. Little nibbles here and there, plus less exercise.
Don't know what's up with my body (age????) but that is all it took to put on about 15 pounds since then.
My gym is moving a good 15 minutes away tomorrow. HOWEVER, I bought a piece of equipment from them at a great price. So, for the last week I have been exercising daily (except today/Sunday).
I'm back to eating small portions and relatively low carb and exercising 6 days a week. Also, drinking a lot more water. Hope this works.
Oh, and no more late night eating for me. I've had ACID REFLUX. It's horrible! And late night eating makes it 100x worse...so I just don't do it!!!! I have herbal tea instead.
Hang in there everyone! As they say in WW's...."nothing tastes as good as thin feels!" Soooo very true...... :)

N

Nomad

Excited to report that I have lost 1.5 pounds this week!
I'm using the Fit Day program again. Just simply recording what I eat.
Also, drinking more water, exercising (ellipitical), and avoiding late night eating.
I'm SUPER determined.
Sending good thoughts to everyone.
The weekend (s) can be trickier. Hang on tight!!!!