Hub/diverticulitis/surgery...ugh? Anyone have it?

BusynMember

Hub may need surgery. Anyone know how bad the surgery is, how long it takes to heal, how painful it is? Anything would help.

Thanks very much in advance.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I know diverticulitis is painful......sending quick healing for your hubby and hugs for you all!

Hugs & Love
Star

Hi, I had to have the surgery back in 2009. I had diverticulitis flares once a month for four months straight. It is a pain that is worse than childbirth!

Now I dont want to scare you and my case was different but when they did my surgery they found a tumor and I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. But it is very rare to have that situation. I went thru my chemo and was just at the oncologist yesterday and all is well.

I was out of work about 8 weeks after the surgery. The pain was about the same as what I had with my c-section but your husband wouldn't know what that was like either. Everyone is different but I can tell you I felt so much better after the surgery. I am still very careful about what I eat but that is just because I don't ever want that pain to come back again!

They usually determine the need for surgery by the frequency of the flare ups.

Good luck with everything and I will keep you both in my prayers.

Denise

KTMom91

No info on the surgery...but I've heard that diverticulitis can be very painful.

Hope your Hubby isn't in too much pain, and he heals quickly.

jal

I am sorry and I hope he gets better soon. My grandmother has it but has not has surgery (she is 91).

3 people I have worked with have had the surgery. Two successful and very straight forward recovered in about 4-5 weeks on average and back to work. The other one (a closer friend of mine) a nightmare. Not to scare you but her experience was horrendous. The doctor knicked her colon and she went septic. She spent a month in an induced coma, respirator, on kidney dialysis & came out with-a colostomy bag, months in rehab. Was out of work for 7 months in 2009. Lived with the bag for several months before having the reconnect in 2010 which she was petrified to do. That was a month recovery (she pushed it to get back to work, but was ok). She is functional and working now, but her stomach is disfigured and digestive has never been quite the same since. She is since suing.