Hubs has Sepsis

New Leaf

The storm continues. Hubs has staph aureus and they can't find the source of infection. It seemed yesterday that he was improving, but I called him from work today and he was shivering and breathing rapidly. I asked him to call the nurse, but HE insisted it was the room temp....."The air conditioner is too cold" he said, teeth chattering.
I said okay, love you, hung up and called the nurses station. "Uh, just talked to hubs and he has the chills, could someone please check on him, and this is on the down low, please do not tell him I called."
Went to my class after work, took an exam and let the teacher know what was happening. Thankfully, she released me from the class.
Went to visit and found a very agitated, frustrated bear. Hubs went on to complain about the "new" doctor, who had the audacity to come and talk to him during the championship basketball game. He was mumbling, then mentioned the kids came and gave him a sandwich, but he didn't want a sandwich, he could just go downstairs and get that, he wanted a soda. (He cannot just go downstairs........)
Ummmmmmm, he is on a strict diet, because the medications they are giving him and the infection are causing his glucose levels to go off the charts. I gently said "Well you are not supposed to have soda....."

GLARE. Stare at the wall and ignore me.

Okay, I think, "Maybe his sugar is high and he is agitated due to the circumstances." I see that he is really, really mad and pouty, and well, just not himself. Well, of course, he is very ill, but things don't feel right. So, I tell him I will see him tomorrow....."Go then" he mumbles.
I went to the nurses station and voiced my concerns. "He is not himself....."
Came home, talked to the kids.
"Mom, Dad asked me to bring him a sandwich, and we did get him a soda. Then, when we came with the sandwich, he was mad at me for getting the sandwich, but HE asked for it."
I told Hoku that she should not bring him any food, definitely not soda, he is on a strict diet.
High sugars just compound the infection.
I called the nurses station and spoke to his nurse about his mental status.

Has anybody ever experienced this?

I am trying to stay positive, but I am scared.

I have to work and have just five more nights of school to finish this certification, so cannot be at his bedside, 24/7.
Of, course if his condition worsened, I would be there. He is in a regular ward so far, and is relatively stable. If I need to take family leave, I will, but feel at this point it is not necessary.

I am hoping it will stay that way, but am also aware of the seriousness of this.

It is frustrating that he is spiking fevers again. What is going on?
Where is the source of this infection?
They are mystified.

Trying to take this one day at a time and not awfullize, but it is hard. SIGH.

Thanks for listening

leafy

Scent of Cedar *

I am so sorry, New Leaf. Hubs is where he needs to be thanks to you, and he has family around him. I wish he weren't so irritable. That makes it harder for everyone. I think men especially can be that way when they aren't feeling well.

I have to work and have just five more nights of school to finish this certification

There is a focusing tool that involves making a cross at the top of a test paper. With the first stroke, you remind yourself to focus on the task at hand. With the second stroke, you remind yourself that you are prepared. Believe it or not, a sense of calm occurs as the second stroke intersects with the first.

It is hard to stay focused when there are issues with our families.

Wishing all good things, Leafy.

Cedar

witzend

OMG, you do have your plate full! And your hubs must be scared and obviously is not himself. I'm sure they'll put a sign on his door that says "no outside food or drink" so the kids can easily blame that if he does that again. Obviously he is disoriented, but maybe that will go away fairly quickly with hydrating and the right medications & diet.

I'd like to make a suggestion that worked well with my elderly relatives who made impossible requests ("I'd like to go see my {dead} brother today"). Lie. "Sure hon, I'll get you a soda as soon as you're done telling me about the game. I'd really like to hear that." Then when you're done with your visit just leave. Don't try to reason with a person who doesn't have their wits about them, you'll never win, and they will forget. If he doesn't forget tell him that you brought the soda back and he was already asleep, so you poured it into a glass and left it for him, the cleaning crew must have thought it was garbage. He won't remember things like when he slept or you were there. Make your visit as pleasant as possible, you don't want it to be about arguing about something trivial.

I hope that you both will be well.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh Leafy I'm so sorry about your hubs. I will be praying that the infection goes away and for you to have strength to get through all you are dealing with.

((HUGS))

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Leafy:

Big Hugs.

You are such a strong and insightful person but even you have your breaking point. Good you are communicating with the nurse's station to help keep them on their toes. It can all be so frustrating! And so good he is there. It's the right place for him.

Prayers for his recovery and your patience.

Let us know how he is doing.

New Leaf

I wish they had a dislike icon.
I thought about that too Pasa, how do you press "like" on a sad post? But, then it may get misconstrued.......how about an "Understand" button?
I think men especially can be that way when they aren't feeling well.
This is sooooooo true,(sorry guys) when moms get sick, we still have to be super moms......
With the second stroke, you remind yourself that you are prepared. Believe it or not, a sense of calm occurs as the second stroke intersects with the first.
I will try this, thank you for the tip.
Lie. "Sure hon, I'll get you a soda as soon as you're done telling me about the game. I'd really like to hear that." Then when you're done with your visit just leave.
Witz, this is insightful. My friend told me a similar story awhile back dealing with her ill father who decided he would buy a brand new car, she went along with it and he totally forgot about it the next day. Thank you Witz, I shall just have to put on my super duper bubble wrap and remember not to take it personally........
I will be praying that the infection goes away and for you to have strength to get through all you are dealing with.
Prayers are welcome and I believe very powerful, thank you T.
It's the right place for him.
Prayers for his recovery and your patience.
It is the right place. Darn old codger, of course he is very sweet to his nurses......they said that is normal for patients to lash out at family. I will have to remind the kids not to take it hard as well.

I am so glad for this site, you all rock, thank you so very much.....off to work.

(((HUGS)))
leafy

witzend

When my mom was very ill with lupus years ago, she was hospitalized and barely talking or moving. The doctor was very clear to us that he needed to know how different this was than her usual activity. Of course my dad liked to minimize anyone else's discomfort, and saw her at 65 as less of what she was at 16, but we could see the difference between last week and this. We tried to impress this upon the doctor, but I'm not sure how well we did.

When she was released the doctor suggested a disabled parking tag for her, but dad said, "No. She doesn't need it she can walk just fine." Since she couldn't drive, if they went anywhere she had to walk from the car across the parking lot. The hateful old bas tard.

New Leaf

dad said, "No. She doesn't need it she can walk just fine." Since she couldn't drive, if they went anywhere she had to walk from the car across the parking lot.
Mom was the opposite, didn't want Dad doing anything, even if he was capable, she was scared to death he would fall. It is something how people respond to illness and aging. I think Dad would have been fine with going out on his tractor and if something happened, it happened. He became a prisoner in his own body and home.
Adding my prayers, Leafy!
Thank you PG, they have moved Hubs to a private room due to spiking fevers and possible spread of infection to a roommate. Surprised they didn't do this from the get go.
Taking it day by day........trying to stay positive, but the longer it takes, the prognosis changes. So, it is what it is. Day to day sometimes turns minute to minute.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Off to work.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

susiestar

Roll With It
I am soo sorry! I had cellulitis a few years back and it messed with my entire body. I asked for strange things and didn't remember it later, etc... I hope and pray that the medications work because it is VERY serious.

When my adopted gpa had dementia, I would just tell him it was his idea to go to therapy or whatever he was grumbling about or refusing to do. Some of the staff thought i was awful, and a few members here thought i was totally horrible, but it got him to do what HAD to happen and got him to COOPERATE NICELY. Otherwise it was a big fight, a struggle to force him into the wheelchair and he would not participate in any way.. But my way? Yes, it was a lie, but it made HIS DAY soooooo much better and made the staff's day better and he got the benefit of the therapy. Plus it gave his wife a good day and no stress headaches. So I kept on lying to him and finally the staff did too because it helped him and them. And I have zero guilt over those lies.

I know my family used this during my cellulitis (I almost lost my leg or died!) and it helped me too. The infection can mess with your mental status and so can the medications. Be aware that the antibiotics will rot out his teeth - I had to goo to dentures because the antibiotics ate them from the inside so they just crumbled. It cannot be helped and in my opinion was a small price to pay for my life and my leg.

I hope he gets better soon!

New Leaf

Have we heard from New Leaf about her husband's health?
Thank you for asking Cedar. Whew, it has been a hard 10 days. Hubs has been very weak and exhausted.
We are on our fourth antibiotic.
The plan is to put in a PICC line, so he can continue treatment at home, but he has to be fever free for two days. I have to see about home help if he does come home soon, he is still a bit confused and agitated due to the sepsis.
I am going to vent a bit. No offense to our nurses, I know you are overloaded with patients and work very hard.

We have come to the hospital a few times to find hubs in soiled pants and bedding (he has the runs from the antibiotics and with an IV pole, just cannot make it in time. (He is now hooked up 24/7).
They only last night thought to bring him a bedside commode, after I explained what was happening, for the third time. I know that they see his backside, because they listen to his lungs several times throughout the day. His legs are super swollen and sore, walking is difficult. I do not know if they realize how painful and debilitating sepsis is.

He had a legion biopsied on his head, there has been ZERO wound care. The dermatologist did not shave his head before the procedure. He had a piece of gauze taped to his hair and down his face.
I did not know they were not cleaning this area.......discovered last night that it was filthy, with hair stuck inside......

I told hubs he had to "bite the bullet", that the hair stuck in his wound was not helping. Donned gloves, carefully cut the hair around the wound, soaked it, scrubbed out the hair and shaved the area. Asked the charge nurse to please put on ointment and cover it.
I had a spider bite years ago, and the doctor said to let it dry and scab. My leg got really swollen. I scrubbed off the scab, put ointment and kept a wet dressing on until the swelling went down.
Hubs head is swollen and sore, the labs came back positive for staph, we are still waiting on the question of melanoma.....I will try and catch the doctor today but it is impossible to know what time they come in. I have spoken with the hospitalist over the phone several times.

This is very frustrating.

I know there is an overload of patients in the hospital, under nurses care. I also realize that they need docs orders to proceed.

Things have changed so much since Moms nursing days where they would bath patients daily, and even give them massages!!! I am not expecting that, just a level of hygiene for a man fighting a deadly infection! How is his body supposed to fight this, otherwise? We have come in to bath him, ask for clean clothes and sheets. He has been in the same clothes from the day before, soiled and stained.........even his socks and compression stockings......I brought them home to wash.......

Okay, vent over.......
I hope I have not offended our nursing friends........I do so appreciate the hard work and dedication. But, this has been a rough ride and I did not expect to see my hubs in filthy conditions............

He feels a bit better today, but still spiking fevers.
Need all the prayers we can get to beat this thing.
Sepsis is a terrible condition.

Continuing to hope for the best........
leafy

pigless in VA

Wow. I'm glad that you're able to check on him and get him cleaned up. I worry for those who don't have family members to help. There aren't enough nurses anymore.

InsaneCdn

I'm not a nurse.

Nursing has become way more complicated than it used to be. Nurses are doing things that belonged to the realm of doctors not too many years ago. And way more policies and procedures to avoid lawsuits.

Reality is, we are now where most of the rest of (i.e. the developing) world is... the quality of your care when in hospital or nursing home is directly related to the family members you have there, keeping an eye on things and filling gaps.

Scent of Cedar *

Oh, this is terrible, Leafy.

D H is fortunate to have you there to care for him. I feel badly for him, and for you. Have you reported what is happening?

Begin with the Nurse Supervisor. Then, the Nurse Manager. Or skip both, call the main switchboard and ask for Patient Relations.

Or, tell his doctor.

Please keep us posted, as you are able.

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This is one of my fears. My BFFs are both dead. One died in Dec, and one in March.

My mother is in her 80s and not really able to travel. I have no one to speak for and watch out for me if I'm in the hospital or otherwise incapacitated.