Hulu and Playon.....does anybody use it?

DDD

husband and I are "challenged" by newer technologies. A young man was just telling me that with Hulu and Playon that he is only paying $40 a year to access all the television channels, netflix etc. etc.

Do any of you understand or use these things? DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
There are a lot of tv shows and movies that are available for free on the internet on various tv network's channels and on sites like hulu.com and fancast.com . I like fancast.com the best because the viewing window is the largest. Most sites will let you enlarge the window to fullscreen, which is whatever size your monitor is. Not every show is available online and not every episode of every show is available. The CSI shows are available for a week or two after they air, starting the next day, on cbs.com. None of the Law and Order shows are available online. It takes some time and exploration to find out which shows are online, and how long they are available online. Bones is available for several weeks online, as are many Fox shows. TNT has a few episodes of their current shows available most of the time. I found a lot of programs by going to each tv network's site and looking around. Most network sites have a tab for video somewhere on the home page. Otherwise if you are curious about a show you can go to the show's website.

I do not know how to put this on your regular tv. I do it because we only have satellite in one room, so if the kids are watching something I don't like, or if I want to see something that might disturb thank you or husband (neither likes the cop shows like CSI much) I watch it in another room.

I don't know about the pay services for online watching. I have looked at a few and most seem to charge for stuff that is available free. For shows like Law and Order I have had good luck finding used seasons on DVD at affordable prices. That way I can watch them on any computer or on the tv.

Check out what reviews say before you sign up for a pay service for internet tv.

We use Hulu (the free service, not the paid service). We hooked up an old laptop to our television , and it works beautifully. We did spend some money on a special remote that is designed just for this purpose. It has joined the huge group of remotes that we already have -what a mess LOL...
Our cable service recently changed and we lost most of the stations that we watched. We're thinking about getting rid of it completely, because the laptop set up works so well. Hulu certainly doesn't have everything out there, but it has more than enough to keep us happy with our limited viewing.

Try the free Hulu to see if you like it. I don't know anything about the paid service, but it may be a good deal.

Valerie

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I like hulu (free version)... If you have a TV with an S-video jack, a easy child/laptop with same and an s-video cable, you're good to go. Just plug them into each other!

I don't watch much TV, so it's not really an issue for me...