Humane Society - Not so Humane

Star*

call 911........call 911
I guess if in my life I had never had POWER to say "Yes you're in" or "No you're out." Telling someone with a severely abused animal that their application for a neuter job was rejected 'could' be the highlight of my day. But then again - she looked so stoned it was hard to tell.

Yup - on the application THAT I WAS GLADLY GOING TO PAY FOR OUT OF MY OWN POCKET FOR NEUTER, SHOTS, HEARTWORM CHECK - I put down doctor's condition(s). I explained myself further because.....I didn't want to be arrested when I brought him in for surgery due to his condition.

I told them he had sores - treated and healing - twice a day with antibiotic ointment.
I told them that he was EMACIATED and would like an appointment. in a few weeks due to trying to put weight on him to survive anesthesia.
I told them that he needed shots - had never seen a vet.

And they told me that they couldn't take him now or in the future without a vet release. WHAT? Yup, this little girl got down off her chair, walked out to her boss and I heard...OPEN SORES (no they are not), Underweight could be heartworm (he'll need tested of course I checked the box) duh.

Then she came in and said "I'm sorry - we can't treat him." I was amazed. Here we are TRYING to help this poor creature, don't mind fostering him, don't mind feeding him, don't mind taking up time with him to socialize him, and we were thrilled to get a 1/2 price neuter coupon and pay for the additional shots & tests.....but NOW we have to take him to a vet and get a physical - to the tune of $84.00 PLUS any medications that he may need???

ARE THEY SERIOUS? I am really angry over this. The only explanation I got was "He could get hurt when we tie his paws down." I swear I said "Well it's not his paw that I want removed." UGH....

I'm so tired of fighting the system......I've called a local rescue and am begging them for help in exchange for volunteer/artwork time....they could take my paintings and sell them for his treatment.

I'm not mad over my choice to bring him here. That's never been the problem....and I knew that there were reduced services out there to help -but to be told by the reduced services people that they can't help and I could take him to the pound where he'll be put to sleep after spending life on a chain? Not fair.

Any thoughts?

Wondering if I painted something and put it for sale on Craiglslist if I could sell enough fast enough to help.

????? Any ideas??????

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. Sounds like our humane society. :( TM has a good idea, try the rescue groups maybe they can give you good advice.

Our society has 4 gorgeous blonde and white basset babies on their site. And I will freely admit that I'm using every ounce of self-control I have not to go pick up each and every one of them. (I have issues with basset's in cages, sorry. Bassets are people, not dogs)

Then, in the explaination of how these adorable babies came to be in the shelter.........they state Momma had a litter of 15 pups. Family couldn't afford feeding them. Pups are all terribly thin. But the society only had room for 3 at a time.....so only took 3 at a time!! Left the others to continue doing without food in a home where they couldn't feed them! OMG

Gee, folks. How about calling out to the community of dog lovers and at least see if someone isn't willing to foster these pups until you have room for them??!!

So, yeah. I've done nothing but repeat over and over all the reasons why now is not a good time for a new pup so I won't go and do exactly what my heart wants me to do. grrr And yes, Nichole got her love of animals and rescuing them from me.

What I don't get Star, is why she didn't just say.....oh, how about we see him again when he's a bit healtier and we know he'll do fine with the neutering. sheesh

I know they're horribly full and such. But I'm finding myself getting mighty irked at them. Oh, and I'm praying our stray pup got home. We haven't seen her in days. :(

F

flutterbee

I would explain your situation to the vet and see if s/he would give you a discount. I think a lot of them would, especially knowing the situation with abandoned and neglected animals these days. Our vet does require a health check for any new pets before spay/neuter, just to make sure they aren't any hidden health issues and no surprises.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Can you maybe hold off a few weeks on the neutering until he's got some weight back on and healed up a bit? Maybe then it wouldn't be an issue for them to do the procedure.

TerryJ2

I would hold off on neutering until he has gained weight.

I had to do that with-one of our rescues. The SPCA sent me a nasty ltr, because they hadn't gotten a spay/neuter response from the vet after 2 mo's and they require a spay/neuter within 2 wks. I sent copies of all the vet bills and the SPCA left me alone.
We finally got our dog neutered after ... a yr? Maybe?
And it was easier to afford after all the other bills were paid.
Of course, you have to keep the dog in the house at all times, to prevent an accidental mating.

Don't know if that's the idea you were looking for ...

TerryJ2

Oh, also, I would space the shots. IOW, get rabies and bordatella, for example, then go back in a month and get two more, etc. That will put less stress on the dog's weak system, and be less stress on your checkbook, as well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
On the application - it asked for dogs condition, has it had shots, etc. I put on the application that we wanted him to have a little more weight on BEFORE the neutering - but the coupons are already in short supply. I was just trying to get our space in line. There is no way he could do surgery in present condition.

I did take all your advice - thank you very much. It's great to have friends who can help you think when you're that upset. THANK YOU ALL.

I called our vet - Thanks Heather - I did ask if they could 'help' and the answer was a huge "UM.....NO." it was very expensive to run the tests and they recommend putting a dog (strays/fosters) down if they have heartworms. My heart sank. BUT......they gave me the name of a rescue group. (Thanks TiredMommy)

The rescue actually called me back last night!!!!!!! Since doctor was a "chain dog" and in such awful shape - he "could" be their poster child for (this is so cute) MOTHERS AGAINST CHAINED DOGS. They are going to take care of all his vet bills, give us food - they want him on puppy food called Natural Balance, IF he has heartworms? They pay for the medications to treat him. They were happy to know we would foster/socialize/care for him until he gets his mug on their web site. I'll post it when he looks better. For now - due to giving him dignity - I've only sent out pictures of his head/face. His little face looks good -

SO THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS - doctor will now get the proper medical care he needs, and we don't have to feel like we're breaking the bank to help. The Rescue DID stick up for the Humane Society - (amazing) saying that they were protecting their interests and their vets. I understood that, but like Terry said - didn't they see the part where I wrote - He'll need to be further along in healing BEFORE he gets neutered? UGH.

Appreciate you all very much - doctor. (I think....whats a neuter?) :surprise:

tiredmommy

That's great news, Star! I think our baby just may be okay. :thumbsup:

Our local shelter has a terrible reputation that has been perpetuated by a few overzealous rescue groups. They went from a run-of-the-mill shelter with routine euthanizations during the busy times of year to a very progressive no-kill shelter in the last ten years. I know the vet tech there (her sister is a very good friend of mine), she told the executive director he'd just have to have kitties in his office during crowded periods! They even accept in animals from overcrowded shelters so as to reduce euthanizations in other areas.

Star*

call 911........call 911
HE
WAGGED HIS TAIL AT ME THIS MORNING AND DID ONE SPIN!

omg - This is huge.....spinning in a circle to dogs is like having a child skipping. A skipping human is a happy human. A spinning dog.....could get dizzy...but we only had one spin...

HUGE

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
WOOT! WOOT! for doctor!!! :D :D

He's figuring out he's landed in doggie paradise. And he must be feeling a bit better to have wagged. :)

mstang67chic

Going Green
Yayyyyy for doctor!!! :cool_dog:

I bet it won't take much longer before he starts trusting you more and "opening up". How is he eating? Still having issues with "rich" food?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Last night the intake worker came to "assess" doctor. She looked at the pictures of him when we got him and then at him in the cage. Then back at the pictures and said "HOW long have you had him?" -

I don't share the pictures of him all filthy, bag-boned and hunched out of respect for him. Who wants to really remember them anyway? I took them for a Just in case. Owner said he wanted him back, I got blamed for his emaciated condition. She had to laugh - My "smallish" dog greeted her and he's 140 - and huge. She said "His head doesn't even look real. I said "You should see him with his jeweled tiaras on." (yup over the puppy poopin' edge we've gone)

Pootie was her usual "AM I THE CUTEST KID YOU HAF EVER SEEN UR WHAT?" dance and the woman went to her car and fetched Pootie a new Bobo - she slept with it. She LOVES the Bobo's. doctor actually took snacks from her!!! Once out in the yard it was apparent who was the chain dog freaked out about everything.

BUT - he looks so much better. And he likes to be brushed and he actually showed some interest in a toy. Ears up, eyes watching.

As far as food? Well.....he's not eating. We got them Iams (had a coupon and it was very on sale) and unless you put canned with it he won't eat it. I told DF - maybe we should set a nasty 5 gallon pail out with all our scraps (gaw) day after day after fermenting day. DF said we're giving him more food than he's had in his LIFE - Kibble overload.

He gets his heartworm test tomorrow - Oh I hope he's negative.

Oh and on the way out - the rescue lady wanted to know if we were SURE we wanted to KEEP Pootie? OMG - KEEP HER? I LOVE HER.....yes....keep. But how about a tempermental difficult child? huh.....you like a challenge - you said so. BOY oh BOY do I have kids for YOU.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Most likely kibble overload. Although I've never been able to get any of my dogs to eat Iams. So? Maybe it's the flavor?

Sounds like he is doing sooooo much better. :D

Steely

Star* your doggie stories always bring so much joy to my heart.
He did a spin........what a pumpkin.

He can take lessons from my dogs on spinning, in fact I will send some of their spinning doctor's way........if spinning means they're happy than my dogs have evidently hit the mother load in life. They wear me out!

I am so happy to hear he is improving - maybe I missed a post in this thread - but did you figure out the neuter thing?