Hurricane

New Leaf

Prayers to all in Texas. May Akua keep you safe in this ordeal. Just saw news Harvey is heading back to Houston. God bless and keep everyone

Mahalo Leafy, (We loved Oahu when we visited, your people are friendly and helpful as are Texans!)

Houston has issued Harvey an eviction notice but apparently like our wayward children he has to test us. He will be returning to our Texas boarder at Sabine Pass for one last visit before he moves on. While we will be receiving more rain it will in no way be of the magnitude we have been receiving through the past week.

Hugs & Blessings,
S2T

pasajes4

S2T, I am glad that ou are safe. My friend lives in Katy but is a principal at a high school in a flooded area. She is asking that people donate school supplies and clothing items. Texans are a resiliant people and the city will be operational in no time.

kim75062

Red Cross still hasn't called me but I did acquire a 14' flat bottom boat so me and my brother are heading to port Arthur now to help with search and rescue.

kim75062

Made it back to dallas last night. We helped a lot of people (a few hundred from a neighborhood that turned into an island) make it to safety from the flood waters. We spent 20 hours in waist to chest deep waters from the crested neches river and the water was still rising.

I meet up with a paramedic in Houston that works with reach out world wide, a charity I've never heard of before but there pretty great people. She knew the areas well and knew how to get us back to where we needed to be. And we meet her team of 2 more boats and 4 paramedics.

We worked with the national guard, coast guard and marines. It was amazing to see everyone working together so well! There was no "I'm higher then you" rank ego crap that I really was expecting. The marines cleared us a path to the neighborhood with there tanks, launched our boats with us and then unloaded the people we brought back. The coast guard had 2 helicopters over us waiting to pull people that couldn't be transported by boat. And the national guard got us from where we were to the neighborhood via the flooded highway, driving on the wrong side of the road in a convoy with them.

The pictures on the news don't even come close to showing the devastation that is there. We were literally driving out boats over people's houses .

pasajes4

We are leaving for Port Aransas with about 100 folk from church. We have one bus filled with supplies. The devastation in Houston is horrific,but other areas still need assistance. The help for the areas that got hit when it made landfall are now getting little to no help from any of the relief agencies.

kim75062

We are leaving for Port Aransas with about 100 folk from church. We have one bus filled with supplies. The devastation in Houston is horrific,but other areas still need assistance. The help for the areas that got hit when it made landfall are now getting little to no help from any of the relief agencies.

Yes these small towns are devastated! Everyone seems to be focused on houston at the moment.

You may not be able to get there due to flooded roads etc. if your confident the bus will make it, don't take no for an answer. The police/military will assist you through.

They tried to turn us around once due to the flooding (over the bottom of the truck doors) and the fertilizer plant was blowing up. After we said if you turn us around we will get around you there tune changed to ok let us help you help them :)

kim75062

Yes these small towns are devastated! Everyone seems to be focused on houston at the moment.

You may not be able to get there due to flooded roads etc. if your confident the bus will make it, don't take no for an answer. The police/military will assist you through.

They tried to turn us around once due to the flooding (over the bottom of the truck doors) and the fertilizer plant was blowing up. After we said if you turn us around we will get around you there tune changed to ok let us help you help them :)

Also if the water is to high to get across, look up the Cajun navy's Facebook page and download the zello radio app. They will get you and your supplies over there by boat!

pasajes4

We should not have too much of an issue with flooding. The main need right now is bagging up debri and tearing down unsafe structures. They have limited gas and many vehicles that could be used in the cleanup were damaged. Tiger sanatation has agreed to send garbage trucks to pick up loads of debris provided we can establish staging areas for mass pickup

Kim, I am so happy that you and your brother were able to help. It is in the worst of times that our Lone Star shines the brightest.

kim75062

Pasa any suggestions on areas that need supplies? We are collecting to load up our enclosed trailer the next few days and head down south with it. So far we have a pallet of water. But we have a 7x14 (I think) trailer to fill plus the suburban pulling it can hold a lot of stuff.brother and Hubbys work is doing a collection this week so it should fill up pretty fast.

pasajes4

There is a gas shortage ( result of panic not an actual shortage) you sometimes either have to wait in really long lines or there just is not any.

Here is a list of some of the items locals are requesting:
  • Toiletries (Deodorant, Bar Soap, Shampoo, Lotion, Disposable Razors, Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Hygiene Products)
  • New Socks / Underwear (all sizes)
  • Flood Buckets (pail, cleaner, bleach, trash bags, gloves, cleaning brushes/sponges)
  • Home Care Packs (Laundry Detergent, Dish Detergent, Household Cleaner, Bar Soap, Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, Tissues, Garbage Bags,
  • Gift Cards for Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, HEB, Kroger

pasajes4

mosqutio repellent hats sunscreen contractor bags chainsaws with willing body attached gloves matches first aid kits ice

kim75062

So far we haven't collected much in the way of supplies, most people have to already donated to local shelters here. Plus I'm not from this area so I really don't know more then a handful of people.

At this point point people are very untrusting (I don't blame them!) because we are seeing lots of what looks like donated supplies in bulk listed for sale on Craigslist etc. I mean really where are you getting pallets of diapers and toiletries from as a private person? I really doubt it's the "couponing" stories they have been saying. **Sigh** people still suck.