husband Actually Helped Me With Something

Bunny

My dishwasher died last week. We went shopping for a new one this past weekend and a new one is being delivered and installed today (hurray!!). Since the dishwasher is dead, I have to hand wash everything. Yesterday, husband spent the whole morning in bed because he had a headache, which I hate when he does because when I have a headache or don't feel well I still have a everyone bothering me all day long and he does nothing to make sure I'm left alone. So, he was on my poop list.

I her him rattling around in the kitchen when he finally got out of bed making himself something to eat. The he comes into the den and says to me, "I washed my dishes and put them in the drain board and I washed the other dishes that were in the sink, even though they weren't my dishes."

The only think I said was, "Thanks," because he expect me to clap like a seal when he does something that he feels isn't his job, when what I really wanted to say to him was, "Oh? Because I have NEVER had to wash dishes that I didn't use or make dirty?"

DDD

You're "clap like a seal" made me laugh. Somehow sexual "equality" doesn't usually include household chores, does it? DDD

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
Bunny, while I did chuckle at your description, it was because sadly that is how BOTH my difficult child's are and I pray really hard that I can change that BEFORE they find an unsuspecting woman. He really IS on the spectrum isn't he?!?

Bunny

You know, TeDo, I never thought about it before, but husband really does have some spectrum-ish characteristics, doesn't he?

Actually, it think alot of it has to do with how he was raised. His mom and dad had labor divided along very traditional lines: dad worked and mom took care of hearth and home, and the lines never, ever blurred. To this day mother in law expects father in law to fill her car up with gas because that's just what a man is supposed to do, and it would never occur to father in law to wash a dish because that's not what he, as the man of the house, does.

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
Do you think he would get the point if, everytime you did something around the house, you made an equivalent "announcement?" I would imagine after a day or so of that, it might be hammered home?

My ex was like your husband. We have been divorced 3 years and he still reminds me routinely of "how much he did for me" because he did make coffee in the mornings.

SuZir

The only think I said was, "Thanks," because he expect me to clap like a seal when he does something that he feels isn't his job, when what I really wanted to say to him was, "Oh? Because I have NEVER had to wash dishes that I didn't use or make dirty?"

I would be very tempted to clap like a seal who accidentally just ate a bottle full of Ritalin. Accompanied with lots of "All by yourself!?! How wonderful! That was very brave/exceptional/awesome from you! I hope it didn't overstrain you completely!" :flirtysmile3:

I mean, really, he is a grown man, he has to understand how ridiculous that is.

tiredmommy

So have you ordered his engraved plaque to be installed above the sink? "On Saturday, April 6th, year of our Lord 2013. husband washed the dishes. Even those he did not dirty himself."

Dixies_fire

My hubs did something like that the other day cause he had cluttered my table with his gamer trash. Aspirin wrappers soda cans. I asked him the night before to pick it up, a few months ago I decided unless I was using the console also I was not picking up after his gaming nights. We woke up he went back down stairs got back on the console I didn't say anything but didn't pick it up either. He stole my soda and drank half of it and left it on the table when I finally around noon said something in a light hearted manor and said he should throw away my soda bottle while he was at it cause he drank it all he got all butt hurt about it and picked up everything but the soda bottle. I looked at him and said "I was joking with you but I'm not going to pick up that bottle now I wash your dishes your laundry and make your meals if you can't pick up my soda bottle then you are in for a hell of a rude awakening here shortly" he picked it up. :)

KTMom91

My standard answer when Hubby does something to help is, "I feel so loved!" Applies to dishes, emptying the dryer, cleaning litter boxes...especially when he wants applause for his work.

buddy

Bunny, after I read your post I ran out to get you a father of the year application. The deadline is soon so I fed-ex'd it to you!

nerfherder

Oooh, this thread is so SEXIST!

Yeah whatever. :) So was the Greek play "Lysistrata."

My DEX simply tried to inspire me to be as slack in cleaning as he was. And for a few years, it worked. (sigh) Blacksmith occasionally reminisces about the first time he came out to visit, and first laid eyes on the Laundry Volcano.

Nowadays DEX *does* clean. The day before I come out with Kiddo to drop her off or visit (it's a 4 hour drive.) Because of my Asthma. Unfortunately, Perfect Enough Child has inherited/learned the habits. But she lives with HIM, so I am Detached from worrying about it. :)