husband and I have arrived at our decision

PatriotsGirl

Reunification would be ideal for us, too! There is nothing we want more than to see her pull it together and become a mother to Connor. What I honestly think will happen is that she will either pull it together or abandon him with us. Either way, I will make sure we are all protected... :)

Thanks everyone!!

PatriotsGirl

Oh boy. I do have a lot of calls to make. I just got off the phone with DFCS - I reached out to them. They said if difficult child is willing to give us temporary custody, they won't be involved at all. She said we would have her sign the paper and file it with probate court. The only thing she could not answer is whether we can do that before the child is born or if we have to wait until he is born. I need to call probate court now...

PatriotsGirl

Just got off the phone with my attorney. Whew, am I glad I called! She said we should have no problem - I need to go to the courthouse to get a packet from probate court. As long as we have her sign the required paperwork we will be able to take him home from the hospital. She also gave me excellent advice - she said to get child support from her - even the minimum of a hundred bucks per month. She said if she does not pay for a year, it opens the door to adoption for us. She also said that difficult child CAN revoke it BUT we can also protest it. We would then have to go to court for a hearing and she said in her experience, unless the parent gets their act together completely, the judge is not apt to grant it. She will have visitation rights, but they do not have to be here. LOTS of good info - thanks all!!!

* Update - went to the courthouse and got the necessary paperwork. We all need to fill it out and sign at the hospital. Then it is a matter of a background check, birth certificate and a $120 bucks to file. Lawyer said we can do that on our own. :)

Last edited:

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Looks like you are covering all the bases. Glad you know what to do and expect. Still sending you all strength through this journey!

mom_to_3

I just read this thread and wanted to say I'm happy your family has made the right decision for yourselves! I'm also happy to hear that you have gotten some legal advice, especially regarding the child support. I think it's so important that your difficult child does have some kind of responsibility assigned to her regarding this precious life she has created. Whether Conner stays long term or goes on to live with your difficult child, the child support will serve as a reminder of the tiny commitment a parent makes to a child. Under no circumstances should she be able to walk away with no responsibility or part to play.