husband fell out of bed this morning...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I woke with a start and thought we were having an earthquake, but instead saw husband slumped on the floor and moaning. Then I thought maybe he had another seizure. He said he sat up to get out of bed and the next thing he knew he felt dizzy and then he was on the floor. Nothing injured, thank goodness. But he had a few more dizzy spells today after getting up suddenly.

I'm wondering if this new diet he's on is to blame. He's been mostly eating salads. And lots of watermelon and carrots. I don't think he's been eating enough protein -- the doctor said lean meats, but he will only eat chicken. I'd pre-cooked some chicken breast Thursday night and I think he finished the last of it Friday night. I wasn't home Saturday night and I think all he ate was fruits and veggies for dinner. He won't eat fish unless it's something really mild like cod. He doesn't like eggs unless they're over easy. And he won't go out of his way to prepare stuff for himself (obviously). And I wonder where my picky kids get it from? :wince:

For a smart guy, he sure doesn't understand a lot of stuff...

klmno

Is he still taking those medications? I wonder if the diet messed up the balance of the medications- maybe he needs a lower dose now or something. Does psychiatrist know about all this?

Wiped Out

Staff member
That must have been scary. It really could be that he isn't eating enough or the medications or a combo. I would definitely have him call the doctor today.

tiredmommy

Glad he's not hurt. Umm... maybe he should get a good basic cookbook for Father's Day. Every man ought to know how to make an over-easy egg. :hammer: Sounds like more co-dependency to me.

Fran

Former desparate mom
His diet doesn't sound very healthy. What about some of the healthy low fat protein bars? I keep them around on days when it's impossible to eat correctly or if I'm in the car.

However, dizziness when standing sounds a little like he needs more fluids. If he has dizziness when he is up and about, you need to call the doctor. It can indicate heart issues or circulation issues. Let them check him out before he dismisses the problem. Actually with his history, it would be wise to call his doctor.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband needs a healthy diet balanced or else when he does go back to eating "normally" he'll gain the weight back twice as fast as it took him to loose it. He should be able to have leaner cuts of meat, portion size is the palm of the hand.

If it keeps up, get his b/p checked out.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Do any of the medications he's on say "TAKE WITH FOOD"????

NOT - nibble a piece of salad and a hunk of watermelon.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for the day
Teach a man to fish and he'll be out in a boat getting drunk every day.

Don't know how that applies to eggs over easy - but then there is still that WEAREVER skillet possibility. :laugh:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Will he eat nuts or beans or seeds. Perhaps a few protein bars or you could make your own granola and make sure there are nuts and seeds along with the dried fruit and oats.

Sounds like more than just one thing. Certainly his diet is off. Watermelon is all water (hence the name) - doesn't even have hardly any fiber in it.

I have to agree with TM; sounds a bit like he's manipulating you a bit with the food thing. I'm glad he didn't hurt himself.

He can get protein from sources other than meats, such as the beans, nuts, certain grains, and lots of dark leafy greens. Check out www.vegetariantimes.com for some good simple recipes without meat.

klmno

I think I remember difficult child's psychiatrist saying difficult child should eat protein as a snack when difficult child was complaining about getting dizzy at certain times since being on medications- this makes me think that certain medications require more protein in the system. I do recall reading that certain foods are processed and eliminated very quickly with some medications. For instance, my son is supposed to eat more salt than the average person. (I think that's the lithium.)

I'd talk to psychiatrist as well as the regular dr- some regular dr's don't understand the pysych medications as well.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh, he KNOWS how to make an egg the way he likes it. But he's not allowed to use any artificial fats or dairy supposedly. And yeah, he could probably use something like PAM, but being Mr. Black & White and also a little bit sorry for himself that he has to even diet, he's kind of being an idiot in his interpretation of this "Jungle" diet (ie if you can't find it in the jungle you can't eat it).

I suggested pnut butter, but the only kind he'll eat is the processed kind. I suggested hard boiled eggs (DUH -- we have CHICKENS and lots of EGGS) and he said he doesn't like them. He doesn't like plain nuts. What can I say, he's PICKY. And yeah, maybe also codependent. He didn't feel like actually cooking something for himself when I was gone yesterday so he didn't and ate carrots instead. :hammer:

I told him last night to eat more protein -- hopefully he'll figure this out and it won't happen again. He's supposed to go see his GP this week to follow up on labs from last week, so I'll remind him to talk to that doctor about this diet.

DammitJanet

He does need more protein. I lost a ton of weight in a very short period of time a few years ago eating hardly anything at all. I think I ate less than 1000 calories a day period. Well one day a week I allowed myself a reward of going out to eat but I found I could only eat like a fourth of a small serving when I went.

I ate stuff like fruit, salads, a piece of cheese, cut up lean meat, those frozen diet meals, yogurt, diet jello, and those special K bars. I had one of those strawberry special K bars at night as a snack or a diet jello with a bit of diet whipped cream. Oh...also...the manderin orange salad from either Mcdonalds or Wendy's was good too.

Like I said...I lost 50 pounds in 17 weeks and 100 pounds in 8 months. Unfortunately it didnt stay off.

TerryJ2

Oh, dear.

I agree with-others here, about protein, and taking medications with-food.
Not all medications are alike. Nor are all vitamins.

Good luck!

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH.......You were looking for a belly board then.....(slaps head) MY mistake.

Get a good tow rope.