husband is AOK but a difficult child smacked into the truck this morning.

DDD

Our business is on the same street as the high school. This morning husband was driving in the thru lane and out of nowhere a kid came roaring up on his right and hit the truck. The kid kept going and immediately there was a policeman in hot pursuit. The kid drove home (about four blocks away) and ran into his bedroom to hide from the police.

We don't have collision on the old beat up truck. The kid doesn't even have a license. The car he was driving is owned by a woman without insurance. The good news is that husband is ok and the truck is driveable. The bad new is that the passenger door no longer opens. Geez, you never know what difficult child's will do. Sigh. DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
A truck is a thing. The important part is that your husband wasn't hurt. I'm really sorry that the difficult child that hit you wasn't insured. Can you maybe find a door at a junkyard and pay someone to put it on?

DammitJanet

So sorry to hear this DDD. That is a real fear here because at least 30% of the people in my county are driving uninsured and unlicensed.

One thing to think about, do you possibly have uninsured/underinsured on your policy? That is fairly normal on even just liability insurance. I dont have collision on my old truck but we do have that. If you do have it, your insurance should help you pay for fixing your truck and if you have any medical coverage (mine is quite low...maybe $10,000) that could also help. Its possible that you have this without knowing it so you might want to check with your agent.

DDD,

So relieved to hear that your husband is OK!! Sorry about the door but glad the truck is still useable. You're so right about never knowing what a difficult child is going to do next. Whenever unexpected, could definitely do without type of things like this happen, I always tell myself that if life were too easy, I wouldn't appreciate the good times as much. Too bad this doesn't make me feel any better and I doubt it will make you feel any better either, but, in the scheme of life, as long as the people we love and care about are OK, everything else is just a drop in the bucket.

Thinking of you today... Hoping it's a much better one! SFR

DDD

Thanks for caring. I just thought it was rather ironic that after raising difficult child's and having an empty nest...somebody else's difficult child caused us grief. Seems like they're everywhere! The truck has close to 400,000 miles and even the Clampett's would hesitate to be seen in it. :) DDD

InsaneCdn

DDD, I'd love to know what decade that truck is from, but I can make a fairly good guess... and it isn't from the current century... because if it was? it would not have survived nearly so well. They used to make stuff that lasted.

helpangel

Maybe small claims court? other driver at fault, vehicle owner no insurance in my state you could get $400 toward repairs + court costs, even without collision and we are a no fault state. just a thought, sliding across the seat isn't as much of a pain as unloading groceries thru the window. Guess just be glad no one was hurt.

Nancy

PS the year of my van starts with a 19 not a 20 too

DDD

I "think" 1998. It's an F150 long bed work truck...and I do mean WORK truck, lol. We have been very lucky. DDD

InsaneCdn

:rofl:

You called it "... the old beat up truck".
I was trying to figure out if it was from the 70s, 60s or older... as in, actually OLD.

98? wow, you're lucky to get off with that little damage!

DammitJanet

Dang that makes me almost wish I had bought that 1999 F150 3 door with a back seat. It only had about 80K on it but they wanted a fortune for it. I wasnt willing to pay over 7K for a truck that year even though it was nice.

You guys are so right about the current cars crunching after just a little bit. If we had been driving our Toyota 1990 truck it probably wouldnt have caused as much damage because the car is metal. My 2007 Focus was pretty much plastic. Oldest's 2010 HHR was completely totaled in a very minor accident. The lady ran a stop sign in a parking lot and couldnt have been going more than 30 mph if that but the car was T boned and all the airbags went off. When airbags go off it is pretty much totaled because of how expensive they are to put back in.

With that year of car you can probably get a replacement at a junkyard or even check Ebay Autos. I get a lot of car parts off there. They are normally a whole lot cheaper than I can find here.

DDD

:) Insane. Next time you are on the highway look at the tractor trailers in the next lane. They are comprised of huge, heavy, ugly parts. That's what we've been delivering in that "old beat up truck". Each brake drum, for example, weighs on average 100 lbs and the hubs they are attached to are close to that too. Our F150 has been "toting" stuff like that for well over a decade. It ain't pretty BUT husband and I aren't looking so great either!
DDD:holymoly: