husband just left to take difficult child to the hospital

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I'm sorry that you had to experience this...

I wish I could say I was suprised.

Sadly, it all comes down to money. If you had the means, you could place him privately in a residential treatment facility. But without the big bucks? There seem to be fewer and fewer avenues available to families with serious MH needs.

I don't know if it's even an option for you - but some of these RTCs have actually begun to offer student-loan-style loans to finance a child's treatment.

Beyond that, I can offer only my support...

DDD

Please remember to journal everyone you spoke to, when you spoke to the, what you said to them and what their responses were. It's important in seeking help and it, sadly, is also important to protect yourself should there be additional problems in the future.

Personally I don't think taking him to the police station is likely to have any benefit, in my humble opinion. I'm wishing your the best.
DDD

E

eatpraytravel

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It's so good that your daughter told you what had happened though, as a lot of kids would keep it quiet if they thought they were in harms way or too ashamed to say if they enjoyed the feeling. You have done everything right and it's so good that he will be in care now. You are right, you do not want him in your home, and you can't have him in your home. Will you be getting your 7 year old in to see a counselor to talk about it? Sometimes it's a good way to have everything documented, because often they will not take your word as the mother, but they will from a professional. I am sure they no doubt believe you but it would be good to have some back up in case they don't take it as seriously as it needs to be. I am sure you have already thought of this!!

I can't even imagine... Again I am so sorry :-(

E

eatpraytravel

Firstly, thank you to all of you that read my post and/or responded. I truly appreciate the hugs and well wishes and willingness to understand without judging me or difficult child in any way.

Secondly, here's an UPDATE:

The hospital wouldn't admit him. We spent HOURS trying to understand how "this is not an acute enough of a problem to admit him." Seriously? He ***** molested his sister. They actually had the nerve to start talking about penetration - I almost lost it!!!!! husband and I both said that to us, there is no distinction between inappropriate touching and any kind of penetration. They kept saying this is a criminal problem, not a psychiatric one. But then they would say that if there was more to it then maybe they could admit him. So sexually inappropriate touching is a criminal issue. But if he outright does the deed with his sister he's got a psychiatric problem?????!?!?!!??!?!!!!!! I'm shaking just thinking about that conversation.

Anyway, we came home, it was past 2 am. I so did not want him in our house. I was still just so dumbfounded at the hospital people. They didn't even have a psychiatrist talk to him. Admin people did and then they talked to the doctor. At home, we sent him to bed and then put the little ones to sleep in the floor of our bedroom and locked both doors. We were all so exhausted that we slept until about 10 or so. The kids have a shorter school day on Wednesdays so we just kept them home, but we denied difficult child any access to the litte ones. They ate separately, they stayed in separate parts of the house, etc. husband stayed home to help me manage that while we worked on what to do with difficult child now. We tried CPS and they said it's not within the scope of their abilities, but suggested we call the hospital back and make sure they had all the info possible and ask why wasn't he admitted. That got me next to nowhere, other than the hospital saying that we could do a dr-to-dr conversation. I just had to get difficult child's psychiatrist to call them. Well, I have yet to speak to the psychiatrist. It's been less than 24 hours since that conversation with the hospital and I have left the man 4 messages. This is the same psychiatrist who told us to take him to the hospital. We've left detailed messages, he knew Tuesday night that the hospital wouldn't take him. We just don't know what to do now. The only options we can think of are to take him to the police or apply for residential care again. We applied once in fall of 2010 and it was denied by the insurance. Until we get some answers on what to do next, we are keeping the kids separated. husband is not going into work until difficult child has left the house and we get the little ones started on their school day routine. And he's coming home after difficult child gets home but before the little ones get off the bus. They will remain separated and the little ones will continue to sleep in our room with the doors locked. This is the plan for every single day until we find a way to get difficult child the help he needs...... outside of this house. We cannot take any chance of anything else happening. Ugh....I'm so frustrated......

You need to get your daughter to talk to someone else about this (a professional) so that THEY can file a report with CPS or whoever you deal with to have him removed and get care for this. What a nightmare, I can't even imagine what you are going through... my prayers and thoughts are going out to you!

Chaosuncontained

I am astounded that CPS said they can do nothing. My ex husbands wife called CPS on my 9 year old for "molesting" her 8 year old. My children (all 3) and her children (all 4) had to go to Child Advocacy and be video taped and interviewed. What Carson supposedly did was "climb onto M's back and M could feel Carson's weiner". They were wrestling, fully clothed, in the LIVING ROOM, with at least 4 witnesses.

But CPS was involved. And they were *all* interviewed and video taped. And before we left the building at Child Advocacy we were told it was a "trumped up" case that would be dismissed. They did not feel that the boys should even be seperated until we got "official" word that the case was dismissed. Three months later we received documentation that it was "unfounded and dismissed".

Wow. I can't believe that 'the system' is not helping you protect your other children. I am so sorry.

threeturkeez

Thank you all for the support and ideas. We really do appreciate it!

Here's an UPDATE: We finally spoke with the psychiatrist and discussed another hospital that's almost an hour away and worse if there is traffic. He suggested we call ahead rather than driving all the way out there. I did and it took several phone calls back and forth but they finally did say yes, that they would take him. He was admitted really late Thursday night by the time all the paperwork was done. He's been there a week now and is actually being discharged today.

We've talked with the police, they have been here to talk with us and to also talk with our daughter. When asking more questions with our daughter myself and hearing her answers to the detective it seems this probably happened this past summer. We knew it wasn't in the immediate past because daughter couldn't recall the specific time frame and if it had been in the last couple weeks she would have been able to convey that. From all the info gathered, my best estimation of what happened is that difficult child is at an age where kids are curious about their bodies and sex and that he unfortunately decided to take his curiosity somewhere that it shouldn't have gone but that it wasn't intended to be an overt sexual act towards his sister. The detective we spoke with agreed with that and did say they weren't going to pursue a petition for difficult child (same thing as a warrant but different name because of his age).

The pediatric psychiatrist has, with our permission, added a small dose of concerta to difficult child's medications to assist with curbing his impulsivity, or as he put it, "doing all these crazy, stupid things." I had to laugh at that after I got off the phone because that pretty much sums up my son's behavior in it's most general sense.

We are switching the kids' rooms around to allow for better tracking of who is where. Also, the motion sensor alarm we had at the bottom of the stairs is now going to be in the hallway and pointed at his door. Unfortunately, this means husband and I will be woken up every time he gets up to use the bathroom but for the sake of safety for the other 2 children, it's really a small price to pay.

The detective is supposed to get back to us on services for all of us, not just for difficult child. She agreed with our intention to seek counseling for the other children and we plan to pursue that soon with difficult child's psychiatrist. We figure he's the best place to start because he knows the situation already and there are multiple therapists and counselors within his practice. Obviously, difficult child will continue with his psychiatrist and current therapist. This is a relatively new therapist for him (insurance issues made us have to change). My hope is that this allows for the counseling sessions to be more intense in content and start to make a difference.

husband and I are both still wound up pretty tight these days. Everyday functions seem more difficult than they should be. I'm guessing that's because our brains and emotions are all tied up in other things. It's like we are up to our capacity to handle anything right now so adding anything, even a mundane task like fixing dinner, can be overwhelming. We just confide in each other, every step of the way, reassure each other and give each other lots of hugs. And tag out if we feel like we need to be isolated for a few minutes too.

I'm both happy that difficult child is coming home and having anxiety over how things are going to play out. I'm guessing that's normal...

DS, the 5yo, outright said last night that he doesn't want difficult child to come home and that upset me. I had to tell him not to be unkind to his brother and it's not nice to say such a thing. In retrospect, I should have asked him WHY he didn't want him to come home. I'm fairly sure I know the answer (because he's always causing mom and dad to be mad and making it hard to go places for fun) but I should have asked him anyway just in case there is more to it. I plan to have that one to one conversation later this afternoon.

husband is finishing up and we are headed out the door soon. Wish us luck!!

buddy

Good luck, hope things go well. did they do other things while at the hospital? just curious what they do in a week at a psychiatric hospital in a situation like that. Certainly you dont have to be specific, just wondering did they change a bunch of medications? did they start therapy? Family meetings? just wondering.

L

Liahona

I understand about the small things being overwhelming. That is where I am at right now.

difficult child 1 spent a year in a Residential Treatment Center (RTC). difficult child 2 didn't want him to come home either. Good luck with the family therapy.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I'm so glad to hear you were able to get some treatment for him, as well as for the rest of the family!

Don't be too hard on yourself (easier said than done, I know). This stuff is SOOOO hard on everyone....you just have to do the best you can.

(((hugs)))

oldmama

oh my gosh! please forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of this sort of thing before!

I'm so sorry this is happening to your family and I will say a prayer that your son gets the help he so desperately needs and that you all come out of this whole thing a happy, healthy, normal family...

May God bless you and your family.

TerryJ2

Welcome, and absolutely, GOOD LUCK!

You have made an amazing amt of progress in a short time.

Definitely, keep locks on the doors and keep the little ones supervised at all times.

You said difficult child was in a residential setting b4? Did he learn those behaviors there? But with-jumping out of cars, off of bikes, climbing on roofs, there seems to be an element of borderline personality or bipolar, Know what I mean?? I am wondering if adding Concerta is a good idea. Someone with-bipolar or borderline will surely add comments here (hint,hint you all :) ) that will be helpful.

Does difficult child understand that these actions, when continued as an older teen, can send him to jail? That he must learn to curb his behavior toward other people? Does he get it even the least little bit?

Keep that Xanax coming! (You may have to share it with-your 5-yr-old. Sigh.)