husband medications arent' working.......

Jena

hi

so i wanted to share about husband's medications that he began to take over a week ago now. it's zoloft 50mg.

it's activating him. he had a mini meltdown last night. nothing major yet he was loud, and it was over something silly. not even the regular loud him. i calmly walked out of the room checked on the girls who just said what's wrong?? i explained it to them. they seemed fine yet still not cool to of happened.

he didn't curse or anything, i stayed in the kitchen cleaning up to defuse him till he calmed than went back in the room.

we'll talk today about it when he gets in. we spoke days ago he said it's not calming me at all infact i feel more irritable jumpy its harder to sleep stay calm etc.

for a while i'd quietly thought he was bipolar. he is very much like difficult child in so many ways. stories from his younger years scream it, and well overall now with this new information i said to him it's very possible. hes' taken self test things on interent etc. in past.

so i said stop medication immediately, he got it from his sister who is a dr. and i said call the pyschiatrist and sched an appointment.

i told him though it's a must. absolute must. our home is calm now i cant have you here on your day off having a meltdown over a movie i think it was or something so trivial. just silliness and directly releated to the ssri. i'm no dr. yet i've seen exact same with difficult child.

i had a feeling, yet i kept it quiet for the most part for years. the non sleep on certain days the inability to get up on others, the way he talks so fast at times is always in "go" mode or in sleep mode. he has no medium speed to him. he flies from zero to 60 in a heartbeat. it's hard to keep up with him. he is not going to be at all pleased about a bipolar diagnosis at this stage of the game. hes so distorted like last night blamed it on me the yelling. i said ok easy child really in my head?? when he was a child he'd rock himself to sleep back and forth most nights, than when he got really excited over something he'd throw up when he was a kid!

things were sooo beautiful too here. yea yea i miss easy child but let's face it its' a whole lot calmer. gotta keep it that way. say a prayer they take him right away!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Zoloft takes time -

Unless you were supposed to get the super-fast - non-time released quick acting, make him into a new man Zoloft.

THEN I think the prescription should have read -

Jenn -
Take a vacation - alone - in St. Croix - for about a year and re-energize your soul and your patience.

Not
Jenns Hubby
Zoloft 50 mg 1x daily - refills (2)

I dunno - maybe you can pick him up and shake him until his teeth fall out? At the very least?

If his teeth don't fall out? At least you got to shake the snot out of him.

Obviously I have NO good answers for you tonight luv.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...AB_njn7XWrYoxKDLpIF77awW_dg_VEMN2Ao_ZgyFdzQ==

H

HaoZi

I miss Waffle House, none of those up here.
Zoloft takes weeks to work, a bad day/night does not have to mean it's not working, or it's a bad reaction. It can just be a build-up of everything bubbling over and disappointment of thinking the medication will fix it this fast and that well. To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a bad day is just a bad day.

Last edited:

Jena

lol..... jerky he than antid up he already tried an ssri years ago when ex dumped him and he went off the wall. ENOUGH SAID.

no i want him just calmer, happier shake him sheesh if i could lift all 260 lbs. of him i would!!! :)

me st. croix alone?? yea oh yea def.............. i suggested i go to mexico alone since it seemed like alot to take off from work. he got upset?? go figure lol

Jena

haozi no hes' been feeling this way for days. told me hard at work not to loose it also. so we thought ok all days have been bad shouldn't we pull it? you guys think he should stay on it? monday was his first day home. prepare tmrw's another day home. i wonder what awaits me.....

Jena

sorry that was to star. ok these threads always get a mess. i said he already tried an ssri once before. oh no i need sleep nutty thread 1million for me!! star stop joking PLEASE :)

anyway should i keep the guy on it ???

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can lift 260 - send him here. I'll shake him like a paint mixer.......wooba wooba wooba....yeah haozi - what did she say? I think she was shaking him when she said that.........har har har.......snort.

Either that or she ran and got that waffle, and was eating it when she was trying to talk and type.

As far as keeping him on it? Either that or those bowling ball pin sized suppositories. The choice IS his.

In all seriousness - It could be he's just having a bad day - medications do NOT make a perfect person - they scrape away the rough edges so that a person can deal with really rotten things better. Tell yourself this - There are no pills that will grow back a leg. There are just those helpful crutches.

Hugs

Jena

lol i agree..... yet we had a great day. he has told me repeatedly all week how aggitated he is more than normal. it was so much like difficult child on an ssri, part of it.

InsaneCdn

There are no pills that will grow back a leg. There are just those helpful crutches.

Thanks, Star.
I just might have to frame that one... 'cause everyone in our house is sick and tired of being stuck with "crutches" with all their imperfections... WE WANT OUR LEG BACK - even if we never had it.

I needed that.

donna723

"anyway should i keep the guy on it ???"

Jena, quite honestly, this is not for YOU to decide! It's not really even for HIM to decide! This is a decision that he and his doctor should make after the doctor has seen him and they talk it over. He's only been on it for a very short time anyway, not long enough really for it to have had that much of an affect. And medications are not going to "fix everything"and make it all OK.

Jena

oh sheesh guys i know......... thats exactly it he wanted to just keep taking them with-o going to a dr. i said hello your sister isnt' a pyschiatrist!! great she wrote script yet time to meet with a real doctor!

so i told him just call tmrw set it up. i dont' expect everything to get fixed......... please this is me lol. yet the outbursts yes. and quite honestly he is not reacting as someone would on an ssri.

he kept asking me i'm like warrior mom i am yet not a dr.! go see one!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Zoloft takes time to work..........but does not take much time to show adverse reactions. Travis became extremely violent on it within 24-48 hrs.

Call doctor, explain what you're seeing, what he's saying and see what they want you to do.

Travis' reaction was dramatic and obvious. Your husband's behaviors are still within the limits of "it takes time for the medication to work", like up to a month. But if in doubt is best doctor decides.

crazymama30

I agree with Hound, it takes weeks to see if zoloft works. He could be having a bad reaction, but he could just be having a bad day. My husband has done well on medications for weeks and then had an obvious reaction. difficult child son, on Depakote took about a week and it was awful.

Jena, please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to be more proactive and less reactive.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Once I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man with no feet.

Hey! That's not funny.

Jenn, ditto hound and the others. A doctor needs to be making these calls, not you. If sis is a doctor, have husband call the doctor and talk to her if he can't get in somewhere else. And I'm in the "not long enough, give it more time" camp. Now, if he starts chasing you around with an ax or something, then yeah, I think you need to remove the zoloft whilst dialing 911, but grumpy and spouted off? With the situations you guys have been dealing with? With or without an ssri? Yeah. Not enough to blame the drug for me.

I'm not so sure I wouldn't have been more concerned about why he wasn't exploding before the zoloft. Was he dead? :) (j/k)

Jena

lol....... thing is i dont' have to be anything in this. i told him i'm sorry i don't mean to be mean yet i'm handling myself, my junk scheduling tests, difficult child iep testing, ela testing life. he's gotta handle this one on his own........ :)

i'm sure he'll make the calla t some point today. i just told him you have to talk to a dr. you can't medicate yourself with this one especially if you don't feel right.

yes let's hope the knife is not next lol.... i said' it's one thing if you got it from your sister and it just worked, yet if you aren't feeling right you see yourself doing things like that or short tempered more than the usual than it's time to decide whats your next step.

DammitJanet

I have a problem with why is his sister prescribing psychotropic medications to a family member when the sister is a doctor but apparently not a psychiatrist? I have always been told that doctors shouldnt prescribe to family members. I guess it wouldnt be so bad if it was a simple antibiotic but with something this complicated, I think it should have been referred to a psychiatrist. JMO.