hyperverbal, pressured speech -- any thoughts . . .

as to why gfg17 has these symptoms? We didn't notice them when he came home from Residential Treatment Center (RTC). He now talks non-stop with an urgency to it.

It's really hard on me and husband. We listen and answer gently but honestly it's wearing us both down. We talked with gfg17 several times, attempted to arrange a gentle signal like "shhh" when the talking gets too much -- but he seems completely unaware and unable to cease. We asked him why he feels the need to talk so much and he says he's not anxious, doesn't know why. Just today I'm starting to think he is in a manic phase. (??????)

I hate to mess around with his medications (by calling the psychiatrist) because he had been doing so well. But this doesn't feel right to me.

Any thoughts?

Jo

Thanks for answering TM. I was wondering about anxiety. I've always told my self never to underestimate his anxiety because it's so crippling to him, and the anxiety is escalated by perfectionism and some Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

JO

DammitJanet

that pressured speech, with constant rambling talk can be a sign of mania or anxiety that is ramping up. Mine comes from more of an anxiety state. I really dont get a severe manic episode unless medication sends me there. My anxiety is much worse. Seroquel is supposed to help with that but it really didnt do much good for me. It did help me sleep some but it sent my cholesterol skyrocketing so I had to come off it. Now we are using XanaxER and I think that is helping some. I still have that current of anxiety that just runs through me no matter what though.

Would he do any sort of therapy at all? That might help.

Hi Janet,

I think it's the anxiety. I also was thinking of Xanax ER for gfg17 -- I use it once a day and it has helped me tremendously so I can function without the "current of anxiety" you spoke of. gfg17 would definitely respond to therapy -- but I think he's going to need something to break this cycle before he can respond to therapy. I think he has that current of anxiety too.

We have a therapist coming weekly for home-based and I'll let her know what difficult child needs to work on this week. She'll usually focus on whatever family concerns we have for the week. She will come through November and then think difficult child needs to return to his prior therapist for more intense support.

I'm going to call the psychiatrist today.

Thanks, Janet.

Jo

Fran

Former desparate mom
I would wonder about medication reaction or the start of a mania as Janet suggested. My son had pressured speech. It was exhausting listening to him.

MWM -- thanks. I'm going to look more closely at the S.E. of both drugs. I have lots of info and I'm pulling it up now.

Fran -- yes it is exhausting listening to the pressured speech, isn't it? What happened with your son's pressured speech? Did it resolve?

Jo

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree it's exhausting! My difficult child is so like this especially when he starts ramping into mania!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I live alone and far from family and friends. When I do get the chance to talk to or get together with them, I talk myself hoarse, literally. My mum will flat out ask if I've been like this for a while and gently suggest a call to my psychiatrist (or shrink as she says) to check up on medications.

I don't usually go into true mania if my medications are right, but still do swing into hypomania. It's sort of weird as I present to people I don't know as having a very flat affect, including my voice, and I'm not comfortable talking to strangers face to face. I did work doing phone tech support for many years and did OK there once I learned to read intonation. I still have trouble reading facial expressions