I am back

toughlovin

I had a wonderful trip to Africa! I have decided the elephant is truly my favorite animal because they are the best mothers. They really take care of and protect their young like no other! And my son did fine. None of the terrible things I worried about happening happened. We got no panic calls, no bad news. We didnt hear much from him but didnt have much internet access... but we did hear he got another job. And in fact he got another job he is much much happier with and he is working hard and doing overtime! He has gotten serious about this girl who was staying with him and when I heard that I was worried he would do something impulsive like get married because she is from another country and was due to go back... I was afraid she wouldnt go and that would be a whole other mess. I always assume the worst. Well we aw him tonight.... he is serious about her and they are thinking long term but she did go back and they are trying to figure out how she can come back etc etc. So it was not an impulsive move. And these days with the internet and skype long distance relationships are not as hard as they used to be, not that they are easy... So he says he is happy. Right now. He is not using and I believe him. I defiitely have concerns but gosh for now he is sober and clean, he is working, he did well while we were gone, he enjoying cooking and cooked us dinner tonight, has a girl he cares for, and hopes for the future.It certainlly feels hopeful.

TL

Mamacat

Your post made me feel good and promoted me to write. Your son is doing good and that's cause for celebration. My son is also doing good. It's been a year since he stopped using drugs. His mind has cleared and he's doing great. I don't know if I've ever known him without drugs, but he's a wonderful person. He's 40 and has been using something since a teenager. There is hope.

toughlovin

Thank you. What I am most pleased about is that he lost his other job right before we left and that could have sent him into a tailspin. Yet he managed to use the money he saved to live on while he got he got himself another job and a job he likes s lot better. So he does seem to be gaining some responsibility. And is thinking about this relationship is somewhat more realistic than I expected...still not totally realistic but at least not imulsively stupid. And it is really good to see him happy rather than depressed!

Elsi

TL, this is a wonderful update! I'm so glad things went well and he is making good decisions.

And I'm so jealous you got to see elephants! They are my favorites, too! They are so smart and have such interesting social structure in their groups. I might even say culture. So glad you got to enjoy your trip!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Tough

I am so happy for your son and happy for you too. He is making progress and that is so wonderful.

Take each good day as it comes.

Hugs to you.

Lil

TL, I have a friend who just got back from a trip to Africa too! How wonderful to take such an amazing trip and to come back to such a good situation!!! That had to have been the icing on the cake. What a fantastic update on your son. It sounds like he's done very well. Knocking on wood and saying a quick prayer for continued good work.

Copabanana

So he says he is happy.

for now he is sober and clean, he is working, he did well while we were gone, he enjoying cooking and cooked us dinner tonight, has a girl he cares for, and hopes for the future.
OMG. This is wonderful. How would have thought all of this would come together like this all at once? I am thrilled for you (and for him.) So pleased for you, and glad you enjoyed your vacation.

toughlovin

I am happy.....but also very cautious.....he does get into these relationships and then crashes and burns. This one seems different and for now there are some outside obstacles that will keep it long distance for a while....

Copabanana

there are some outside obstacles
This could work in his favor, no? The enforced distance could pace things a bit; they could grow into it or not; he might feel more control; there will be the element of choice; he will have something outside of himself to blame if it does not work out; so will she.

toughlovin

Yes I think it will slow things down. They will have to work on things together to make stuff happen. They will have to have patience. So yes it might be good.