I am carpentry challenged.

Abbey

Spork Queen
:mad:

I wanted to make something to hang on my wall so I could hang up the plethora of necklaces that I have. They outgrew my jewelry box years ago. So, I had this grand plan...even planned it out on paper.

Go to t he hardware store, spent a good hour trying to figure out how to do this design, or that design...then finally said, screw it. I got two 3 foot dowling rods and figured I'd just mark off evenly spaced marks, pound in a nail then nail the darnn thing to the wall.

I can't even get the nails to go in!!! I think the wood is too strong and the nails are too thin. They keep bending.

Geez. I can't even do a 3rd graders project.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
The amazon thingy is WAAAY too small. I need to hang about 50 necklaces. I might see if they have those little tiny screw in hooks. Nothing on there is heavy so they don't have to go in far.

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Abbey...don't feel bad about your inability to drive nails thru a dowel. Generaly, dowels are cut from harder woods like oak, and its really hard to put a big, sturdy nail into oak without pre-drilling a hole. Throw in there that you are driving a small nail into a rounded surface, and...well...don't feel bad.

Can you go back to the hardware store and buy a couple of eye screws, with eyes big enough the dowel will fit thru them? Or large hooks? Then you can screw those into the wall and slide the dowel in and out as needed to put your necklaces on it or remove them.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I like that second link that totoro had. Looks like a thin board with cloth over it and metal push pins. That looked kind of cool.

beth

muttmeister

I bought a new big jewelry chest (stands on the floor) but before that, I tacked some cork squares to the wall of my closet and used push pins to hang that stuff. If you want to use nails or screws they would go better into a furring strip or something like that. Dowels are too hard to nail into.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Abbey, I was just thinking of making something like this myself. H has so much wood leftovers hanging around the garage. Maybe I will make this my weekend project. Yeah! Good luck with yours. I think I'm going to copy that one with the fabric over the board.

KTMom91

I used a cup holder.One of those cute wooden ones that can fold up. I've also gotten metal cup hooks and just screwed them into the wall, or onto a wood plaque from Michaels.

I believe in making things as easy as possible.

susiestar

Roll With It
What about buying a small window screen and hanging it from the wall. Or you could buy pegboard and pegs and have all sorts of things hanging up AND making a design statement.

I would be leary of just using a wooden dowel rod because the necklaces will all slid around.

Or, if you need a smaller space. get a bakers cooling rack with the squares and hang that up with hooks to hang the jewelry on. I would use screweyes with bolts to hook the necklaces on.

M

ML

But you are adorable and cute so who cares. Heck, can't that spork work as a tool? Hgus, ML

Abbey

Spork Queen
The tie rack idea is what I'm shooting for. Two of them might hold all the necklaces. I also like the cork board. I think I could pull that one off. ;)

Abbey