I am holding back tears

Californiablonde

How is the job going, Cali?
It's going terrible. I made another huge mistake at work on Wednesday. I had a very large list of kids to excuse for the PSAT testing. I forgot to excuse one kid, so his teachers marked him absent. I called his mom to find out why he was absent, and she freaked out and told me he should be in school. She only spoke Spanish, but that much I understood. Anyway, I hung up with her being very upset, then I went to go and check my list of excused kids to make sure I didn't make a mistake, and sure enough, the kid's name was on there. I went back and fixed the mistake in the computer, but I did not call the mom back to tell her I was mistaken.

Instead, I frantically pulled out the entire list of kids who were testing, and went through them one by one to make sure I didn't make any more mistakes. Meanwhile, the mom was so distraught at the thought of her son not being in school, that she took her toddler in the stroller and walked all the way down to the school to find out what was going on. She only speaks Spanish, so my supervisor had to help her. I had to admit to my mistake, and apologize profusely for not calling the mom back and tell her her son was actually taking a test. The mom, understandably, was very pissed at me. She lives far away, and she walked all the way down to the school to find out I made a huge error and she was all upset for nothing. I wanted to crawl into a hole. My supervisor was of course very mad at me. I spent the rest of the day with a huge anxiety attack. I am overly paranoid of making any more mistakes. I am triple checking my work just to make sure, but I am still paranoid.