I am in crisis

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB, this just doesn't sound right. The only things I've ever had mgmt say about my furniture was to ask if I got my furniture at a specific store.

When I said yes, they asked how I got the specific upholstery I had on my chair. They were thrilled to discover that one could special order upholstery at an extra cost.

That's it. They can't force you to put your beds up on frames unless it's in the lease.

You haven't gotten anything in writing that you've mentioned, so I'm assuming all of this is verbal. They're adding things on after saying things are OK.

I'm having trouble following this story, and in all honesty, while not being familiar with-CA, or your specific county/town's rental laws, I'm finding it a bit difficult to believe. (If they didn't chuck me out based on the sofa I moved in with...

Have you gone to an attorney, to legal Aid, etc, as several of us have recommended? What have they told you. If you have not sought counsel, why not?

I'm hearing a string of abuses being perpertrated against you, things you are doing to rectify, more abuses, ad nauseum. Nowhere am I hearing that you are trying to find out what your rights are, and what you are doing to fight for those rights.

Nowhere am i hearing what your lease says. Yes. Even month-to-month lessors have a lease. As an Army wife I have rented month-to-month in multiple states and in Germany.

I'm not trying to attack you, CB. I WANT to believe you, but there's a pattern of asking for advise/help, being given copious advise and suggestions, and not following it, while meanwhile things steadily stack up.

Please follow some of our suggestions, at least seek legal counsel (you don't even need an attorney, a paralegal can handle this), let us know what your lease actually says, and give us a chance to help you.

Lil

Okay...I'm not familiar with California Landlord/Tenant law. But in Missouri a landlord DOES have the right (generally - it's usually written into the lease) to enter and inspect for the purpose of determining if the lease is being violated or the tenant is committing waste (that is to say, wrecking the place). Generally the lease will say you can't leave trash piling up and you must keep the place in a clean, habitable condition. It does NOT give them the right to dictate what your furniture looks like - if you choose to sit on milk crates and leave your TV on the floor and sleep in a sleeping bag in the kitchen - that's entirely YOUR BUSINESS! If you DO have a lease, then your rights and their rights are spelled out in the document. If you do not - for instance, your lease lapsed and you never signed another one - in Missouri at least you would be a "hold-over" tenant and you would simply be month to month...and either of you could terminate that relationship upon 30 days written notice. It makes no sense for you to be a hold-over tenant - if they wanted you out under those circumstances, there are easier ways to put you out.

So...that leave a lease and in that case unless they have the right to dictate your furnishings clearly spelled out in the lease, you are being harassed. SEE A LAWYER! There is legal aid. There are places like the Samaritan Center and some other charity organizations that have attorney's for free consultations. GOOGLE IT! This won't end unless you make it end.

ksm

I think CB is afraid to make waves. We lived in CA one summer and the rent was outrageous. Plus someone we met said the place they got was like a lottery, some apartment complexes offer a certain amount of apartments for low/subsidized rent...and if they lost that, they would never get anything comparable at that price in the future.

It's easy to say, do this, do that, but we are not in the same situation. KSM

Lil

It's easy to say, do this, do that, but we are not in the same situation. KSM

Very True!

And when I say see a lawyer, that's why! Sure, you can just do whatever these people say and not rock the boat and maybe that's the best you can do. But you should know if there is any real worry there about losing your home, or if they are just being bullies.

It's always best to know your rights, even if you don't assert them.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
KSM has a point about CA. Many years ago, I worked for a company that was bought out by a company in CA. I was offered a position in CA, but even with a 20K per year pay raise, husband and I couldn't afford a place to live within driving distance of work, not even a small rental apartment, when we owned a nice, little house in a nice neighborhood in Chicago.

An equivalent house to ours, which was worth about 180K at the time (we paid 106K), would've cost about 800K...for a 2 story frame bungalow!

Copabanana

i am in california. that said:

i can be passive. i will freeze in the habitat like prey. feeling that if i react this way, do not move, or worse, roll on my back and show my neck in submission--the predator will stop.

no. this stimulates their blood instinct. they almost always go after me more. in fact. they choose me.

when i act like prey i am treated that way. even my pets dominate me.

please, cb. tell these people to put this in writing. they won't because you will have a huge lawsuit. you have ada protections i believe. and tenants rights. ca is one of the strongest pro-tenant states.

you have not mentioned if your city has rent control. if so, you have even stronger protections.

there are free or low cost tenant law clinics. please refer to earlier posts.

take a washrag with as hot of water as you can get. you want it wet but not soaked. scrub where the stain is to get it wet and then pour some baking soda over the spot. let it dry then vacuum it up. it should take out a good portion of the stain. keep your head up and stand up for yourself. sounds to me like they have other reasons to kick you out but cant legally do so for that reason. so they are saying what they can to get you out. good luck.

Californiablonde

CB, this just doesn't sound right. The only things I've ever had mgmt say about my furniture was to ask if I got my furniture at a specific store.

When I said yes, they asked how I got the specific upholstery I had on my chair. They were thrilled to discover that one could special order upholstery at an extra cost.

That's it. They can't force you to put your beds up on frames unless it's in the lease.

You haven't gotten anything in writing that you've mentioned, so I'm assuming all of this is verbal. They're adding things on after saying things are OK.

I'm having trouble following this story, and in all honesty, while not being familiar with-CA, or your specific county/town's rental laws, I'm finding it a bit difficult to believe. (If they didn't chuck me out based on the sofa I moved in with...

Have you gone to an attorney, to legal Aid, etc, as several of us have recommended? What have they told you. If you have not sought counsel, why not?

I'm hearing a string of abuses being perpertrated against you, things you are doing to rectify, more abuses, ad nauseum. Nowhere am I hearing that you are trying to find out what your rights are, and what you are doing to fight for those rights.

Nowhere am i hearing what your lease says. Yes. Even month-to-month lessors have a lease. As an Army wife I have rented month-to-month in multiple states and in Germany.

I'm not trying to attack you, CB. I WANT to believe you, but there's a pattern of asking for advise/help, being given copious advise and suggestions, and not following it, while meanwhile things steadily stack up.

Please follow some of our suggestions, at least seek legal counsel (you don't even need an attorney, a paralegal can handle this), let us know what your lease actually says, and give us a chance to help you.
And you're assuming I haven't followed any advice why???

Californiablonde

Okay so update is, every thing is okay and I haven't heard anything back. Oh, and by the way, everything was in writing. I wouldn't have freaked out so much if it wasn't. At least one thing off my plate. End of story. Thanks to everyone else who was supportive.

Californiablonde

Oh, and yes I did state I got everything in writing. Go back and re-read.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
OK, good! I'm glad you got everything in writing. That means you have what you need to go to an attorney.

More importantly right now: Are you and your family safe from the fires?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We were safe, thank you. Fires were about an hour away from us. A lot of damage for other people though.

Oh good. I'm not sure where exactly you are in CA. I "felt" like it was Southern, maybe around LA, but didn't really know.

From the reports I am seeing, it is horrific, and the Santa Ana winds just aren't letting up for long enough for the firefighters to really get ahead of the fires.

Apparently some of the issue is that after the heavy rains just past, they weren't allowed to go in and clear brush for some reason, and then drought hit again. That and the winds...I am reading that the Lilac fire was set off by cooking fires from a homeless encampment.

Do they know anything about any of the other fires?

Hope you continue to stay safe. Your air has got to be horrible, though. I heard that 405 had to be closed, but again, don't know if that affects you. (I've been to SF, SD, and the Sonoma area on business many times, but fly-in/fly-out. Other than a day at Fisherman's Wharf, I've had no opportunity to do any sightseeing)