I am new, sad and feel very alone

Marguerite

MidwestMom, you posted in the Morning thread and I think you intended it to be here. So here is you "GoodMorning Saturday" post. I think it is an important message from you on this.

IFB, I know what MidWestMom has been through, with regard to getting her son treated and diagnosed. They went years down the wrong track despite being assured it was right. And yet it never seemed to explain things.

We've been through the same things with difficult child 1. I was asking all the right questions, of all the right people, and getting the wrong answers. There is still a great deal of misunderstanding around Asperger's and autism, even in professionals who should know a lot more. It is scary to discover that sometimes as parents, just ordinary people, we know far more than the people who have far too much power over what happens to us and our kids.

What happens on this site, is you learn to have faith in yourself and to trust your own instincts. We're each experts on our own children, although we can't diagnose for one another. However, we can share our collective experience and in so doing, point the way for people to find out for themselves. I've also found a lot of help from people on this site in stiffening my spine when I've needed to take action. It's not always easy but in our family alone, we have come a very long way.

Marg

FromMidWestMom:

I shouldn't have sounded so harsh. I'm sorry.

Your son, however, could have Aspergers and the psychologist, who is so positive he doesn't could be wrong. We had that happen to us. There are no blood tests for these disorders. It's best to get more than one opinion and NeuroPsychs do extensive testing to see where the problems are. If he's not Aspergers, he has Aspie traits and would likely benefit from the same exact treatment anyway. Good luck (((hugs))).

nvts

Hi I Feel Bad! I'm sorry I just happened along and saw your posts. Sounds like you've been through it. BIG TIME! I agree with the others, that you might want to re-look the Aspergers diagnosis. Unfortunately (personal opinion here!), back when your son was being considered for the diagnosis, Aspergers was considered (in most circles - I shouldn't generalize) "The Little Professors" syndrome.

My oldest is 11 and I got told by 2 neurologists that he wasn't an Aspie because Aspie's don't have anger issues and are totally "dispassionate" about everything. WHAT A CROCK! Some are, some aren't, but that type is not the only kind. Our kids are like ice creams sundaes. All of them have ice cream, but tons of different flavors, syrups, candies, but they all have nuts! They all have nuts because they drive us nuts!

I'm sorry that it got a little rough in the thread - I think you're dealing with a lot of us who've hit the wall with how frustrated you must be with your situation and it quite often stirs up our past experiences that we've endured as well. Please keep coming back - this group truly does care and has tons of insight!

Take care!
Beth