I am not trying to be sarcastic, but ......

Does it seem like everyone that is walking into a doctor's office is being diagnosis with the "swine" flu and not just the seasonal flu? I'm not saying that these are incorrect diagnosis's, but I have several people that have told me that doctors are just treating everything as IF it were the H1N1 flu.

I guess my question is ..... don't they have to take a nasal swab and then send it off to a lab, which can take a couple of weeks to officially diagnose? I seem to recall that they had to do this in the summer, before calling this a pandemic, because they wanted to be SURE it was H1N1.

All in all, it doesn't make a bit of difference - - people are getting sick. But if I come down with the flu, I wouldn't want my doctor saying it was one or the other, without the proper testing.

I was just curious if anyone has any first hand experience with family members getting the flu and how it was diagnosed so quickly, so I know, if it happens to my family. Thanks.

klmno

I got a call this morning saying my son has flu-like symtpoms- fever, stomach upset, headache, and general aches and pains on top of being lethargic and sinus stuffiness. They were going to wait to see if his temperature went up more before giving him a test for H1N1. Personally, I think they should have gone ahead with the testsince he's in a facility where others have already being diagnosis'd with it. And, I'm not so sure that treating the regular flu like it's H1N1 makees much difference, does it? That isn't meant sarcastically either- I really am not sure what the difference in treatment would be.

I doubt the treatment is any different regardless of which flu someone contracts, but with all of the hype of H1N1, I would think they would want to do the proper testing to distinguish the two for statistical reasons, as well. Just seems like they are throwing around that term in the majority of cases (and maybe it's valid), but perhaps there is a rapid test they are doing that shows these differences? I don't know......that's why I was wondering. I guess I am a literal person and would want to know which version I really had...not sure why. If you're sick, you're sick..

smallworld

Seasonal flu peaks in January or February so it is too early for it. Any flu seen now is assumed to be H1N1. The picture will be murkier later on in the winter. If a nasal swab is taken for a rapid test, all it shows is whether a patient has Influenza A, which can be seasonal flu or H1N1. But as I stated preiously, the assumption is that it is H1N1 now because it's too early in the season for seasonal flu.

by the way, the antiviral Tamiflu treats both H1N1 and seasonal flu.

susiestar

Roll With It
As long as the treatment was the same they could call it "Purple Hippos In Tutus Shakin' Their Booties" flu.

IF the treatment is different then I would mind. Here they are doing a test in-house, or so we are told.

What gets me far more than calling every flu like illness the swine flu is the parents who take very ill children shopping.

I do NOT mean running in to fill a prescription and pick up a very few items. Not at all.

I mean people who drag sick kids through the store while fussing and being angry that the child "misbehaves" by whining and clinging and crying. I know of several times it has happened - and in THESE situations I personally KNOW that just ONE call would either have grocery items delivered or the child taken home and watched while the shopping had to be done.

THAT is what makes me upset about all of this.

Smallworld - - Interesting - - - I would be curious to know in past years, how many cases of the flu happened in October/November vs. during peak season and compare it to the stats currently happening. But that might explain a lot. I know when I had the Influenza A virus back in 1994 (which was HORRIBLE), it was during the month of January.

Again, it all doesn't matter in the long run....I am just curious.

katya02

Solace
The CDC recommendations now are not to test for H1N1 because virtually all of the tests that were sent in through September were positive for H1N1 and not for seasonal flu. Seasonal flu hasn't arrived yet, basically. And since pretty much everyone with a fever and URI symptoms tested positive for H1N1 the CDC decided to try to lower the number of contagious people in ERs and medical offices and just tell everyone with symptoms to isolate themselves. Only people with conditions predisposing to complications should go to be seen.

There will be a few strep throats missed, but only a few. Strep is self-limiting anyway, and those who become carriers do that in spite of antibiotics. Later in the winter the whole picture will get more complicated, but for now it's pretty simple. Cold symptoms +/- GI symptoms + fever = H1N1. The fever is the key - if it's absent, no flu. If it's present, flu.

The updated recommendations can be found at www.cdc.gov. They do change things frequently so it pays to check every so often.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
From what it looks like, the handy in-office test just picks up Influenza A which includes both seasonal flu and H1N1. Not only that, the quick test is not all that accurate in terms of picking up any flu.

Advice up here is to do the usual thing if you get sick unless you either have other risk factors, or develop a very high fever and/or severe chest symptoms.

Of course, we can't even get regular flu shots up here. Not even the dept of health has vaccine available.

I am going to Chicago for the holiday and will get my seasonal vaccine then.

I got the flu shot for years when husband was sick so I didn't wind up infecting him or get too sick to be his caregiver.

I've actually had flu A once,back in 1980 and it laid me out so badly that after three days of not being able to contact me, my dad came to the apt (husband was in boot camp) kicked the door in, and called an ambulance.

The flu had turned into pneumonia. I was literally so sick that I fell off the couch and cuoldn't crawl to the phone to call the EMTs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
My waiting room dream.....

You know...I was worried that I would have to wait, and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait when I went into the doctors office so before I went to the doctors I found some makeup and added a little yellow tempra paint from my art kit -I applied it to my hands and face and walked in for a routine check up. Of course you all know I'm a germophobe. So I have wipes and a sample size of Lysol spray in my purse. Before I walk in? I took my plant spray bottle, and spritzed myself with water to give myself the effect of fever.

I'm standing there with my passport in my hand, with a box of bananas for the staff that says FROM HONDURAS - yellow as a canary and the nurse at the window says "What are we seeing you for today Ms. Star?" and with the sickest voice I could muster I said "I belive, (cough, cough) I contracted (cough, cough) Malaria..or yellow fever." then I reached in my oversided hand bag and got out a pet rat...held it out and said "Could be the plague - but, (chortle) I really keep these little guys clean."

And within 45 seconds - the waiting room was like a ghost town, I wiped off the war paint, snapped on a glove, finished wiping down the chair, and was in and out of there in no time. Nicest visit I ever had. Got my flu shot, got the H1N1 vaccine as they seemed to have an over abundance that day - Even the rat got a sticker. Something to be said for yellow paint and a spray bottle. ;)

I go next week....ugh. Just shoot me - I think I'll call and tell them to come get me in the parking lot. :sick: - Gotta admit though - the rat story has some merit.

lmf64

A few weeks ago I had flu-like symptoms and called the phone nurse to see if I should come in to be tested. I was told, it's too early in the season for seasonal flu so they are saying everyone with the symptoms they have H1N1 and to quarantine themselves unless they have underlying health conditions that make treatment with TamiFlu a necessity. The only people they wanted to come to be treated are, children under 5 or with underlying health conditions, pregnant women, adults with underlying health conditions (heart, lung, diabetes, transplant), and anyone who has flu-like symptoms feels better and then begins running a fever again.
I was very happy our local clinic got their vaccines in yesterday. My niece is 1 and nephew is 3. They were scheduled to get their seasonal flu vaccines (2nd part for the little one, complete for the older one) this afternoon and were able to get the H1N1 done at the same time. I wish my parents could get the vaccine. They both have severe underlying conditions (congestive heart failure and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), one of each), but where they are wintering they are not giving the vaccine to adults (except pregnant women). We have a very good friend of the family who is right now in a drug induced coma to keep him from pulling the tubes and whatnot out. He has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)/Emphesyma and currently has an infection on his lungs. They did do the test for H1N1, but haven't gotten the results back yet. If he is able to recover from this he will be at the top of the list for a lung transplant, but as of this evening it's 50/50 if he'll even be able to recover. Please pray for him and his family. difficult child doesn't know what's going on with him. I don't know if I want to tell him. My parents summer on land he owns and difficult child spends a lot of time with him when he's up there. He is very attached to Lanny. He will take it hard if he doesn't recover, but visiting him is out and I don't want him obsessing about him.

Mattsmom277

I've heard similar things about seasonal flu not being active right now. i doubt that is 100% accurate as in even mid summer one can get flu, when it isn't a season like this with H1N1 strains. However I have no doubt that seasonal flu is definitly more rampant in Jan-Feb etc.

Nobody here is tested for H1N1 unless they are ill enough to need hospitalization. People are being asked to NOT go to doctors office or ER unless their flu symptoms are dangerous (dehydration, high/low blood pressure, super high fevers, respitory distress - meaning not just the cough, stuffiness, but apparent lack of oxygen etc). This helps to decrease the spread of the flu. Plus, those with say strep throat, sitting in a wait room with true flu cases, leave themselves MORE open to infection with flu while their immune system is battling another illness.

It suprises me how many people are dragging themselves and their children to clinics, doctor offices and ER's when it is unneeded. Even tamiflu is a DRUG. I wouldn't put it in my childrens or my own body unless it is within that initial 48 hours of illness time frame and unless our symptoms were hitting dangerous levels. our bodies are wonderful things. We fight things off. We feel wretched perhaps, but it goes away over time. Adding drugs that aren't going to eliminate me or the kids having flu just makes no sense. We are a society that benefits surely from modern medicine, but I believe we rely on it far too much.

I know my easy child's father was upset with me. She was off school for 2 weeks. She missed several hockey games and practices and that included an important hockey tournament. He wanted her in to the doctor. I said "Ok, we can discuss it. What for?" He said well she has a fever, a cough, she is drained and tired and missing alot of school". I responded "Can a doctor do anything for a fever other than tell us to use tylenol and common sense to reduce the fever?" . No. "Can doctor cure her cough other than recommending cough medicine, etc?" No. "Can doctor create energy to infuse her with?" No. "Is she in danger with her temp being controlled with medications, cool baths etc? Is she in danger from anything serious from coughing so much? She isn't dehydrated. She isn't having any serious breathing issues. What can the doctor do?" I don't know. "I feel the same way. Can't see a thing a doctor can do. If this situation escalates I would take her, but perhaps taking her around so many viruses in a wait room might make her catch something else?" He finally agreed it was a bit silly to drag a ill, fevered, lethargic, sore, coughing child outdoors, across town, long wait in a room full of others ill, to be told "Do what you are doing, come see us if things get much worse"

I think that people who've had serious effects have darn good reason to seek help. I just don't know why so many are panicking or near hysteria or fist fights over vaccines, wait times for doctors etc. The flu stinks. easy child, difficult child and I both had it. Was it bad? Yes. Was it life threatening? No. Could we catch it every single flu season? Definitly. I don't see the difference this year. I do get that H1N1 is affecting groups not normally considered high risk. However the number of serious injuries or deaths is a drop in the pan from regular flu. I guess elderly people dying from flu don't make good news like children or pregnant women do. But elderly people die in tens of thousands from flu each year. It is sad in EACH instance. Sadly, it is also the circle of life.

I don't think people should downplay the flu. I just wish people would use more common sense, a tad less hysteria (our media is flooded with the craze of upset people) and stop panicking one another, especially children who are terrified of this all without need.

Having said all that, common sense to me is doing what we can do, in our control, to avoid it. Hand washing, caution around ill people in public, not doing large group activities if not needed, etc.

I do hope that anyone who catches it does recoup quickly. It hoovers having flu, realllly does.

Lothlorien

Well......a friend of mine had her kids given the h1n1 vaccine a few weeks ago. Guess what....all three kids have the flu right now. Being that they were vaccinated with h1n1, it's possible that it is just the regular old flu....so I'm not so sure that the seasonal flu isn't necessarily active. She did not get the regular flu vaccine yet. There is some concern about one of her children, because she has an organic brain disorder.

smallworld

As you may know, flu vaccines reduce the chance of getting the flu by 70 to 90 percent in healthy adults (the risk may be lower in children). Furthermore, unless you are tested and know you have the flu for sure, you may have contracted one of the flu mimickers out there.