I am so excited...

K

Kjs

I am having a hard time not telling someone. So can I tell you??

It is a xmas gift for husband and the boys. I don't want to spoil it and I am so excited I need to tell.

You all know from a previous post when I asked if anyone was from Pittsburgh. I was looking for someone.

My husband is from there, his mother left when he was 3, his father was an abusive drunk. Died in a drunken accident when he was a teen. He lived with a friend, finished High School and even some college. He had a group of friends, a very close group that he always talks about.

Anyway, the person I was looking for was his best friend, who he lived with and who was the best man at our wedding. husband promised easy child he would take him to Pittsburgh and a hockey game...22 years ago.

I wrote to every person I found on the internet with the same name in Pittsburgh. Just a few lines...we are all fine, please contact me.

He DID. I told him I wanted to send husband and the boys there for a hockey game and to visit the city. He replied, I'll see what I can do...So I waited a week. Emailed again. Told him my mom left a very small amount of money, not much and husband said to do something special for me.

I thought and thought. The most special thing I can do is to have husband show his son where he grew up. His house, his friends the city and of course the hockey game. However all the hockey tickets online were a minimum of $200 a peice for nose bleed seats. I told his friend I would put them in a hotel, and rent a car but it would mean the world to husband to see him. (knowing that airfare, hotel, car and hockey game would be over my limit)

Friend called me......:jumphappy: He was really excited. Said not to worry about anything. he has a lot of people, and co-workers that "owe" him. He WILL get the tickets...free.

He will pick him up at the airport. Don't worry about a car, he will take care of him. Lives in the same town husband grew up. He told me that the whole group that he and husband grew up with are still a very close knit group. He talked to them and they are ALL going to get together when the boys go. And he has a big house so they can all stay there. He is even having one of the guys drive up from Charolete (sp???). husband will NEVER guess. He never likes any gift I give. Oh....he will like this one. All I have to pay for is there airfare.

The money my mom had left was a total shock to me. I know how much her grandchildren meant to her. So, another thing I am doing is putting some money in a card for each boy. I wrote a letter with some precious memories that easy child may not remember, and difficult child definately doesn't remember. It made me cry writing it. Then I signed in...in honor of Grandma and Grandpa...and their birthdate - death date.

Sign the card Love grandma and grandpa. I have some very precious memories of my parents with my boys. I moved away when easy child was 7. And in Grandma's mind, he was always that 7 year old boy. difficult child doesn't have any memories of his grandparents when they were able to talk and walk. None of Grandpa.

I also made a copy of the video played at grandma's funeral. 50 photos from her birth, all the kids, all the grandkids. And also made a copy of the interview my sister in law did with my mother 10 years ago. She talked of her mother coming over from Finland on the boat. Where they lived, their occupation, growing up, meeting my dad...also my dad's side of the family.
Actually, it was this interview that made me realize I am at peace with her death. It was so good to hear her voice after all these years of not speaking. But she was tired. In her voice she was so very tired, so very sad. (my dad was her entire life and he was gone). Hearing how tired she was, how sad her voice was...I know she is resting now, and forever with my dad, her love. Yesterday was their 67th anniversary.

Ok...I got off the subject. 29 days til xmas. SOoooo very excited. Hope I don't slip up and tell.

klmno

Ohh, this is awesome! This is a once in a lifetime gift that will give so many people memories to last forever!! What a great idea- I'm sure husband and easy child and "the gang" will all love it!

KUDDOS to you!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What an awesome gift - and so much of you and your love went into it, the best part!

I am so excited too! I can't wait to hear H's reaction! Only 29 days to wait.:tongue:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You are an awesome wife and Mom!!! That is so cool.
I am so excited as well for all of you!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dang girl - when you pay it forward you leave a HEALTHY tip -

I'm in tears at your kindness - how rare a lady you are!

BRAVO!!!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
What a cool present!!!!! You should get an empty picture frame, one with a picture of this friend, a disposable camera and a print out of the ticket. Wrap them all individually but either put them in one big box or make him open them in order. First one is the picture of his buddy. Second is the camera, third is the empty frame and final is the ticket.

Lothlorien

Okay, someone pass me the box of tissues, now. *Sniff*
That's an awesome gift. I'm sure husband and the kids are going to love it!