I am so tired of being bamboozled by this kid

TerryJ2

difficult child was a perfect angel the other day. Granted, he wants a cell phone, and a PS2 gift card, and lots of other things, and really believed he'd get his way asap ... so we went to the grocery store, looking for oat/rice cookies for him, couldn't find them, ended up buying other things.
As we checked out, I noticed two boxes of Quaker Oat peanut butter chocolate granola bars. I said,
"You're allergic to wheat."
"I know. These are for you."
Awww.
He put the groceries in the trunk, emptied the trunk at home, and put all the groceries away.
He even said, "I put the boxes in your office for you."
Okay. I left the door unlocked.
Today, I found both both boxes behind his bed, near the pillow. One was completely gone, wrappers all over, and the other was half eaten.
Want to take bets on whether he planned it out, aka Eddie Haskell, or whether he just couldn't stand it any more and took advantage of the fact I left my ofc unlocked and he knew right where he put them?

You'd think I'd learn. Why didn't I just say, "No thank you, I'm on a diet (or something)" and have him put them back on the shelf? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
:faint::(:whiteflag:

flutterby

Fly away!
Not dumb. Your kid was doing something sweet for you (we'll just assume the best here) and you appreciated it. It probably made you smile, right?

I'm sorry it turned out badly, though. How long will the gluten effect his behavior/mood?

tiredmommy

Regardless, he needs a consequence for:

1. endangering his health & well-being
  2. betraying your trust by trespassing in your office.
I'd ask him which he'd rather do without: the cell phone or the PS2 card. :rolleyes:

BusynMember

He wasn't right, but I don't do diets because they become unenforceable as the kids get older. They eat what they want in school. I know many kids on diets and for the most part, it all fell apart in high school or earlier.

Sorry that he tricked you. I don't think it's that unusual though. Sort of exasperating typical teen.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think his mouth told you what he thought you wanted to hear and his brain that has no impulse control did otherwise. 'Cuz my difficult child 1 is Ex.act.ly. like. that.

I agree that he needs a meaningful consequence. And then he has to find a gluten-free cookie recipe and bake a batch or two this weekend. And only HE gets to eat them.

DazedandConfused

You know, this is only going to get much harder to enforce as he gets older. Son loves Hot Cheetos; I would LOVE to put the smack down to whoever invented those! I hate them! Son eats them sometimes until he gets sick. The school sells the baked kind and sometimes other kids will give him theirs. Son will also buy them after school and eat them before he gets home because THEY ARE BANNED AT MY HOUSE! How do I know he's been eating them? Well, because there will be red fingerprints all over the frig in his desperation to get a drink to cool his mouth when he gets home and the fingerprints on the walls and light switches.

He told me the that the other day he threw up during PE after eating two bags at lunch. I encourage healthier eating habits and try not to get on my soap box about them, but I'm definitely losing the war.

Well, I guess a lessoned learned for you regarding his "thoughtfulness". (((hugs)))

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Dazed, my difficult child 2 has the same addiction to the Flaming Hot Cheetos, and they sell them at his school as well. He gets sores on the corners of his mouth from eating them, and it takes a herculean effort to get him to stop eating them long enough to let his mouth heal! Gotta be a sensory thing they have with the spiciness. My husband likes salsa, but nothing as hot as what difficult child 2 eats!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hot Cheetos deserve their own thread. Onyxx adores them. I think they're nasty as all get out but what do I know? So a couple of Christmases ago husband and I bought a BOX of 100 bags at Sam's and wrapped it for her. Figured she would make herself sick. She did. Did not change her love for them. EWWWWW.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I love spicy food and before I got reflux, I used to eat a lot of very hot stuff like Thai and Northern Chinese cooking. That said; I HATE hot Cheetos? Why? They have no other flavors beyond artificial heat.

Hot sauce added to some foods is a good thing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hot sauce... UGH.

See, my issue is that I was born on the border. It's not so much the heat as the FLAVOR. If it tastes like vinegar and burns my tongue - Yech. I could care less. As a result I actually like Medium Pace Salsa - some flavor, some heat.

I can't do Tabasco, Frank's, etc. because they are all vinegar and heat. No yum.

TerryJ2

Thank you all.

Ah yes, the $6 million question.

How long does it affect him?

Today he stayed home with-a fever, headaches, diarrhea and dizziness. He had nothing to eat but rice all day.

He should be better by tomorrow. At least I know what caused it.

Tonight, husband and I went out for our date night.

Guess who had swiped my office key and used it in easy child's door and was on the internet when we got home?

The fun never ends.:faint:

TerryJ2

He's home sick again today. He is no longer hot, but he's still lethargic and has a headache "in his eyes." And he's dizzy.
I hope it's the wheat and not his medications. Sometimes this happens after 6 mo's or so.

DammitJanet

I have no idea how you are going to contain this one terry.

As an aside because you are doing dairy free...I was wondering...have you tried that new Silk Almond Milk? Jamie is lactose Intolerant, I have IBS and I seem to be getting worse with it whenever I drink or use milk for cereal or cookies etc so I bought some of that Almond Milk in the Vanilla flavor the other day and OMG...is it good! Tastes like a vanilla milkshake...lol. I put it on my cereal, drank it, dunked some oreos in it. Even Keyana had a big old glass and said it was the best milk she had ever had. Tony is using it in his coffee. We made pancakes with it.

Good stuff.

TerryJ2

Yes, we buy almond milk, soy milk and rice milk. difficult child likes the rice milk best on cereal, but we buy all of them because not everyone carries it, and you never know what will be in stock at any given time.

Anyway, he went back to school today and although he said he was still a bit "off" and might call me, he was in good spirits and we talked about politics and geography in Eastern bloc countries. Go figure.

N

Nomad

Perhaps it is possible his original intention was to get those cookies for you and then the temptation was too great and he succumbed and grabbed them.
OR....he had diabolical plans from the get go.
Glad you and husband went on date night.
Keep moving forward my friend...even if you have to kick and scream to do so.

TerryJ2

Yes, Nomad, that's one of the reasons I started this thread ... hoping you all had the magic answer. Sigh. If only there were such a thing.