I broke my ankle today

cubsgirl

difficult child was being well ... difficult child...and he said he was sick this morning so I called him into the attendance office and went back to sleep. I woke up to him laughing at youtube videos and drinking Pepsi so I had enough and brought him to school.

On the way in to school I warned him of an ice patch and wouldn't you know....I slipped on the very same ice patch on my way out of the school. husband called while I was still on the ground and was non-supportive "You would be in severe pain if it was broken" said he. I said "I AM in severe pain".

It's the same ankle I tore up in 2007 and had to have surgery on the ligaments and tendons. The ER doctor said my ankle is "complicated" and I have to see an Ortho surgeon right away. I'll be calling Monday for an appointment. No weight bearing until then and crutches are such a pain and so tiring.

I just started a full-time job 5 weeks ago and I don't qualify for short-term disability yet. It looks like that job is going away - the boss won't even email me back. husband is going to be even more non-supportive when I remind him that he has to do the laundry for the next 6 weeks as there is no way I can get down the steps to the laundry room.

Just whining but dang I'm in pain and need some support.

tiredmommy

Ouch! I am so sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you will bounce back quickly and have support at home and work. Keep us updated about your surgery.

ctmom05

Having a broken ankle is tough enough, with all that it would normally entail. Recovery would be so much less calamitous if everyone was playing on the same team. Is it possible to discuss that approach and get anywhere with it?

BusynMember

Soooooooooooo sorry about your ankle. Seriously, I know how slippery it is in the Chicago area (and here too in Wisconsin) and have almost slipped myself. Easy enough to do even in good boots.

Sending you healing vibes and hope for a fast recovery.

helpangel

I'm so sorry you are in pain and husband isn't being as supportive as he should be. Also husband is wrong... I've walk around with broken bones for several days before going for Xrays, the only one went immediately for it was poking thru the skin. Sprains hurt more then breaks and in your case you have much more then just a break going on.

School attendance for difficult child should improve because after this he's gonna have to barf up a lung or something to pull another sick day. He could also help husband with the laundry. Feel better soon.

Nancy

TerryJ2

Nooooooo! I'm so sorry. Of course you had to warn difficult child first. How appropriate.
Have you heard from your supervisor at work yet?
Ice, ice, ice. And elevate.
Take care.
And I agree with-the others--you CAN walk on a broken ankle. It depends upon the type of break.

LittleDudesMom

So sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope it's not as complicated as the last situation and I hope husband and difficult child pitch in.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OUCH

((hugs))

I dunno about that severe pain part. It depends. I broke every bone in my foot and stood on it for 15 mins until the adrenaline wore off and I couldn't ignore the burning pain anymore. With the shoulders it didn't hurt unless I moved them a certain way...............and then of course the world came to an abrupt end.

Take care of yourself. Make husband spoil you for his lack of empathy and poor timing. I hope it heals quickly.

DDD

I hope you are comfortable. No experience with broken bones so can't relate too much...but...I'm sure sorry. DDD

Californiablonde

I hope you feel better soon. I have never broken a bone but I can only imagine how painful it is. I hope husband and difficult child are helpful.

cubsgirl

Thanks for all of your kind wishes and support. husband is coming around and difficult child has been being very helpful. I have an appointment with the Ortho Surgeon on Wednesday so I'll have more info then.