I can tell school is out....

F

flutterbee

...because difficult child hasn't complained of being sick for a week now. No sore throat, no upset stomach, no knee pain, no wrist pain, no headache...nothing.

Either she literally makes her self sick with her anxiety, or it's one helluva coincidence. She's had numerous strep tests the last few months because her throat really was so red. But no complaint of sore throat since the last day of school.

by the way, difficult child said she was going to miss her school :hammer: (she's going to the junior high next year). All I heard all school year was how much she hated it. And I endured daily morning battles and nighttime meltdowns because of it. Wish the kid would make up her mind. :hypnosis:

K

Kjs

That's very interesting. My difficult child has an awful lot of pain also. Besides the headaches, he has pain in every other part of his body. I'll have to keep an eye out for the pain issues after tomorrow(last day)

Sheila

I'm glad to hear difficult child is in a recovery mode.

It usually takes 2 - 3 weeks for difficult child to fully recover from school related anxiety. But improvement is typically seen immediately.

Also, it's not unusual for the anxiety symptoms to start kicking in about 2 - 3 weeks before school starts.

It's my understanding that psychosomatic symptoms with-anxiety are fairly common.

"These aches and pains are real, but doctors can't find physical causes for them. Doctors call these psychosomatic symptoms. It means your body is translating your feelings into physical pain. We don't know why some people with anxiety disorder have these symptoms while others don't. "

Also interesting:

"...it is suggested that 70% of all diseases are the result of anxiety and stress[citation needed] and hence, have a "psychological" root in this sense, even though stress and anxiety themselves involve many biochemical, hormonal and genetic aspects." Reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosomatic_illness .

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm glad to hear difficult child is feeling better! Isn't it amazing how she can say how much she will miss it after complaining all year?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
From the mom of a then 3rd grader who came down for school blind & pregnant (with pillow stuffed up her shirt), I can feel your pain. :hammer:

As Sheila said, it may take a few weeks to completely even out.

Babbs

Glad to hear difficult child is feeling better - mine has been complaining more and more as school winds down (2 more weeks to go ).

It's always amazing how much our kids actually like the structure and routine of school despite having so many struggles there. I can completely understand your difficult child saying she'll miss her elementary school. The known is always easier to deal with, even if it sucks, then the unknown.

F

flutterbee

kjs - I hope your kiddo experiences some relief when school is out. It's hard on them to be feeling so lousy all the time.

Sheila - thanks for the info. I know that the aches and pains are very real. Wynter has even managed to work up a fever a time or two. The visible sore throat, though, just surprised me. She's had at least 4 or 5 strep tests, been treated for a sinus infection and allergies - all within the last few months and all to no avail. Once school was out, it all stopped. One thought, too, is that the school building is very old and I'm sure the ventilation system is not up to par. It was originally the high school, then the junior high and now the middle school (5th and 6th grades). Everyone talks how it's not suitable for a school (school board, etc) and they even passed a bond issue a few years back to build another school (which is sorely needed), but to date there are no actual plans in place. However, I'm sure most of it stems from her anxiety.

Sharon - thanks. I'm glad she's feeling better, too.

Linda - blind and pregnant! :surprise: Goodness! However did she recover? :hammer: That reminds me of something difficult child's father did. He was undx'd something or other - very attention seeking behavior. He always had "migraines" that necessitated a trip to the ER. He had one of these such "migraines" one evening. I was ignoring him. difficult child was about 18 months old and was in my lap while we listened to music and I rocked her. All of a sudden, GFGex half sits up on the couch, splays his arms out and yells, "I can't see! I can't see!" I looked at him and reached over and turned up the music. Guess I wasn't a very sympathetic wife. :rofl: I guess the apple doesn't far too far from the tree, huh?

Babbs - my difficult child complained more the closer the end of the school year was. And I agree that the familiar - no matter how bad - is more comfortable, or "safer" than the unknown.

difficult child had originally signed up for cheerleading for next year, but missed tryouts. However, she has signed up for gymnastics and is very excited about that. She did competitive gymnastics for a bit when she was younger - she's a natural. So, I'm hopeful that with starting CBT and EMDR this summer and looking forward to gymnastics that next year will be better.

I'm ever hopeful. Always optimistic.