I can't be having panic attacks all the time, Mom.

flutterby

Fly away!
Me: Does that mean you don't think it's anxiety or that you can't deal with having panic attacks all the time?
difficult child: I can't deal with having panic attacks all the time.
Me: So does that mean you want to try medications?
difficult child: Yes. I can't do this all the time.
Me: Are you sure? I really want you to think about this because the last time I made an appointment and you changed your mind about medications.
difficult child: But, that was for a different reason.

So, in other words she's willing to take the same medication she would be prescribed for depression just because the label this time is anxiety. :hammer:

Whatever works.

However, she still won't take the amitriptyline prescribed for sleep even though I told her it can help with anxiety because she doesn't want to take "something that's prescribed for a lot of different things because those things never help me". Yeah. Cause she's tried it so many times. How many is that? Ummmm.....Zero.

Sigh. Whatever works, right?

DammitJanet

So what is willing to try this time? Buspar? Seroquel? Oh yeah...lets do Seroquel! That would help both sleep and anxiety!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Be careful with the Seroquel. It works for a lot of people, but Onyxx was NOT one of them. Didn't help her sleep and made her hallucinations worse. I accidentally took one, one night a few months ago, and was groggy for darn near 24 hours. Really spacey. Affects different people different ways.

Please be careful!!!

However, if you find something that does work - Seroquel or whatever - it will be worth it.

FWIW, amitriptyline didn't work for Onyxx. Again, different people, different effects.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Heather--

Your daughter is not unusual in regards to resisting medications based on the name or the diagnosis. Many people are influenced by "labels"...and marketing experts are always trying to figure out how to get around the public's pre-conceptions.

For example, years ago Prozac was approved to treat PMDD. However, the drug company quickly discovered that women were unwilling to take Prozac. Patients considered Prozac to be for people with serious mental problems--and after all, they were only suffering from bad PMS.

So, the drug company re-packaged the medication. They took the exact same formula, but now offered it under a different name and labelled specifically for PMS and PMDD.

Sales went through the roof.

If you can, make sure the doctor knows to give your daughter something to help with her "anxiety" if that's the only label she will accept...

Good luck!

--DaisyF