I can't believe...

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I have a happy post!

My son is in Delray Beach, Florida and I know that it was divine intervention that I found this forum and found the place he is at literally on the internet. After five years of on and off mayhem, my prayers have been answered.

My husband drove him there this week and when they got there everyone introduced themselves and were very friendly. My husband said that you'd never know any of the young men there had any issues. Kyle, my contact there, is very friendly and helpful. It's in a beautiful area and the place is very clean. My husband was impressed.

My son went to the gym yesterday they are able to go to and he said it is "really nice". His new roommate said he can get him a job at the restaurant he works in as a busboy. He also asked another guy about a job at a new grocery store that is right across the street from them. Everything is walking distance including the beach.

Last night my son said he really likes it (and he is very hard to please). He wants to get into college this fall because he wants to "go to college and have a family". I am so happy he has these goals. He feels he is behind and needs to get on track (both true).

I told him we'll take one day at a time and see how it goes. We'll see him when we go to Florida the end of April. That will be a good gauge to see how he is doing.

Of course I'm still not able to shut down my negative mind so I can just enjoy this peace. This all happened so fast and we worked so hard to make this happen. I just hope that it continues and he is able to mature while he is there and see that life can be really good and you really can be comfortable in your own skin.

I want to thank the folks on this forum that literally gave me the strength I/we needed to tell our son NO MORE. I think it would have been easier to hope it would all just "go away" in some ways and continue to deal with our crazy life. It had become our new normal but we hated it. He has a long way to go but I think we're on the right track.

Thank you all for your support!:angel:

so ready to live

RN what good news! Now time for you & hubby.
Going to a little place by the house for pizza tonight with hubby

Maybe Pizza tonight again? :)

Of course I'm still not able to shut down my negative mind so I can just enjoy this peace.

No one knows what tomorrow may bring, but today it's spring, new life, new beginnings. Your sharing makes me hopeful and thankful to have found you all. Have a peace-filled wkend. Prayers.

New Leaf

RN, I am so happy for you and your family. Fervent prayers go up that your son take this opportunity and make strides and leaps to new beginnings to find his potential and purpose.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

UpandDown

This is a great start. I hope he continues to grab the opportunities given to him and finds support from those around him. Enjoy the peace and thank you for sharing the good news!

New Leaf

Just hate its up to him to stay sober. Why can't it just be up to me?
If that only could be so, then we would all not need to be here. Hold on to hope, one day at a time. He is in a good place now RN, keep the faith and your love light burning.......
(((HUGS)))
leafy

Karenvm

Such wonderful news!!! I am so happy for you!!! I know that feeling of peace and gratitude that you are feeling, it's the best!

Roxona

Glad to hear your son is doing well, RN! It's such a wonderful feeling when they're on the right path. Enjoy the peace.

Nancy

That is a very encouraging post RN. Let your heart feel the relief and hope. May he continue to move forward, there is so much better out there for him to enjoy.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Thank you all for your support.

He started his job yesterday as a busboy at a Greek restaurant on the strip. It's a half mile from his apartment. His roommate works there also. This is such a weird feeling because he has never been away from home (except for rehabs (3x in 5 years) and 30 days in juvenile hall when he was younger). But now he's really far away!

Normally when he would get a job he would do well for a while then he would use the money for weed, booze, or pills and lose the job. This time he is in a controlled environment so he knows he cannot do that plus he has PEER support which unfortunately seems to mean more than family support but it's okay, I'll take it. I reminded him of this and he said he knows and that he has had money and only been using for food. His dad gave him $200 on a debit card until the food stamps kick in. Yes that's right, in Florida if you are in one of the rehab type of places they consider you homeless so he will get $180 per month in food stamps. We'll take it because it offsets our costs.

I am cautiously optimistic and hopeful and we are really enjoying the peace in our home for now. Prayers that this continues because I really have all my faith in the man upstairs and also to all of you that you have peace on your journey.

BusynMember

Rn, so praying for you and your beloved son. You are a hero..you gave your dear child a great chance. Thats the best you can do. I hope he keeps up the good work.

worried sick mother

This is wonderful news, so happy for you. I just sent my son to rehab for the first time in California and a man named Kyle is who helped me set everything up. I can't help but wonder if it's the same Kyle. If so , he was so amazing and I absolutely love him. I found him on the Internet also and I'm so very thankful for him. I can't shut down my negative mind either, I worry so much about the future. I pray that both our sons have full recovery. Sending you hugs.

Nature

So happy for you and your family! I do hope you will enjoy the peace in your home and it will give you time to recoup and recharge. Thank you for sharing this positive news with us.