I can't get through to him

keista

Sounds like it was at least a bit quieter today. With the behavior/consequence chart, consider making it a behavior/consequence/reward chart, if you haven't already.

As parents, when we're trying to 'fix' behavior we often focus on one or the other(bad/consequence, good/reward), but often forget to use them together. As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I have NOT done that either. So may next plan of attack for my own kids will be a combined approach of behavior/consequence/reward.

jennd23

I explained that consequnce is not necessarily bad. It is the result of something, so a consequence for putting dishes away = token, etc.

DammitJanet

I was going to ask if he is consistently night dry and if he is, then putting him to bed in his next days clothes is perfectly fine considering you said he is wearing soft shirts and shorts or pants. That is pretty much what PJ's are. I have let mine sleep in their clothes before. I can remember several times especially the nights before the first day of school when they were so excited they got dressed the night before...lol.

jennd23

Oh, I meant to respond to that earlier (what a crazy day!) he doesn't like to sleep in pj's so he sleeps in his undies. He doesn't have night time accidents and if he would sleep in his clothes I'd let him. I'll ask him tonight if he's willing....

Steely

Have you read The Explosive Child by Ross Greene? Excellent book - Excellent for kids like ours. He goes into detail on how to deal with things just like you described - the getting dressed in the morning - and the "shut ups". I highly recommend it.