I could just cry...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Little story about vinegar and cat smells...

Once upon a time, we had the family room in the basement. Onyxx used the downstairs bathroom... And we had a Litter Maid cat pan.

Well, instead of taking the little containers off and throwing them away? She shoved all the excess behind the shelving unit.

The room always stank - horribly. We looked and looked and could not figure it out. The cats continued to poop and pee down there even after we removed the box.

Finally one weekend my mother could not stand it anymore (and neither could I, I had mostly just avoided that bathroom). We moved the shelving. OH MY WORD. It was awful, awful! All over the wall behind the unit - soaked in to the unit (particle board, like you can buy at Target or Wal Mart) - under it - and SLIMY. It had started to break down. It was all we could do not to vomit.

After we got it cleaned up and threw out the broom and mop, started the dustpan soaking in bleach, we sprayed it liberally with straight vinegar. I repeated this for about a week.

This bathroom is now the one attached to my remodeled bedroom. We haven't yet remodeled it. Aside from a slight dark spot on the drywall - nothing. No smell. We have a litterbox down there now, and the cats don't go outside of it.

TerryJ2

OMG!!!!!
I'd make a huge bucket of margaritas, drink half, and pour the other half on the bed and the floor. It's got to smell better than what you've got.

Poor family. Poor kitty.