I did a crazy thing yesterday. Imagine that.

Abbey

Spork Queen
My daughter, an animal enthusiast, calls me yesterday nearly crying as she read online that there are 600 cats in our local humane society shelter. They're having to euthanize them because they simply don't have room.

Well, I sat and thought and thought some more. I've always wanted a cat. So I made the brilliant decision to go to the shelter. WARNING!!! Do not go to a shelter if you have a soft heart.

It's actually a very nice facility. I explained that I have 3 parrots and 5 degus. I want a lap cat, not one that will terrorize the rest of the pets. So, she took me to the geriatric ward. haha...you have to be at least 6 to be in there. I held a good dozen lovey cats but one caught my eye. I finally decided on her and told the staff. Whoever dropped her off wrote the most heart wrenching story about how she got engaged and her fiance is deathly allergic to cats and it was the hardest thing to do, but she had to give her up. (she doesn't know that cats are better than men.)

The staff informs me that she actually gave up 3 cats. Do I want to see the other 2 brothers? Oh, geez...yeah, let me see them. They are HUGE. Now I'm in a pickle. I can't seperate these 3 cats. They've grown up together. After several long sighs I said...give me all 3. She said she'd even throw in a scratching post for free and wave all fees. They're all spayed and neutered, which is good.

So, while you guys are out shopping tomorrow, I'm bringing 3 more critters into the house. This should be interesting. H doesn't know. haha...he sprung 5 degus on me, I guess he can handle 3 cats.

I guess I'm going kitty shopping today!! Wait. It's Thanksgiving. Guess I'll have to kitty shop tomorrow.

Abbey

donna723

Oh, Abbey, you've crossed over to the other side ... you're one of US now! Ask me sometime why I've got FOUR dogs and eight (outside) cats!

I can't go the the animal shelter - I just can't. Ours is now a high kill shelter and so overloaded that the humane society people are bringing some animals home with them. I found out by accident that they had Trace, a little boy Boston, who had been severely abused. They actually brought him to me! I was just going to pull him from the shelter, I was just going to foster him until the Boston rescue could find a home for him ... yeah, right! He's racing through my living room as we speak!

Face it! You're a soft-hearted pushover, just like the rest of us! There's a lot of worse things you could be! ;)

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, they explained fully that these are older cats and to not expect a full life expectancy. You know, if I can give them a good few years I'm happy. I've had cats way back in the day that lived to a good 16 years. I also get to keep in touch with the original owner. I think that is important. I know if I had to give up a pet for whatever reason, I'd still think about them and want to see them.

Yes...I've crossed to the other side.

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hey, and when she finds out the cats are better than men, heck, maybe you'd even let her have one back....

Kudos Ab. Enjoy your new fuzzbutts.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Keep in touch with her really well. She may find shortly that her cats are far better than a man. :rofl: I have to agree with you there.

Wish you lived closer. I've got two outside strays.......not sure I can call them strays anymore, they haven't left my house in months now....But they are the sweetest darned cats. So much like Bruce. Dumped as older kittens, came to me all bones. Now are healthy. Skinny Minnie's name no longer applies to her. lol She's just Minnie now. They are soooo affectionate, and grateful for any food or loving we give them.

Been trying to find Minnie and her brother Mr. Underfoot good homes forever it seems. But those who take in strays....are overloaded. We've got so much dumping of animals going on right now.

Came across the sweetest stray beagle/basset mix at school the other day. No one else could get close to him. I just patted my leg and he ran right up to me like he'd known me his whole life. We cuddled the whole lunch hour. Someone had just dumped him. (school is right off the main highway) grrrrrr No time to wait on the dog warden to show up....and couldn't get anyone to take him home with them. (boy did I try! lol) I couldn't cuz Rowdy won't allow another male in the family.

Enjoy your furbabies. I'm sure both they and their past owner are thrilled you went to the shelter. :D

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I posted about the 600 animal being put down... I cried while reading it.

You are St. Abbey!!!
When we adopted SR. Dexter last week I had to stop myself from taking more...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, $97 dollars later, I am cat ready. Beds, food, litter, box, collars, toys...you name it. Good thing Walmart was open.

Abbey

KTMom91

I know. I can't watch the SPCA commercials, they just break my heart. Bud wouldn't stand for another canine in the house, and I can't handle any more than the seven cats we already have.

Last edited:

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm excited. I get to pick them up today. I'm so silly...I'm cleaning my house for a cat homecoming.

Abbey