I didn't want to hijack the Ft. Hood thread

mstang67chic

Going Green
This may lean more towards political and I'm trying to word it in as a non specific way as possible but if it's too much...mods....do what you must.

I agree with what Klmno said in the Ft. Hood thread. I know the current events in the world right now have put certain religions in bad light but just because someone is of one religion, doesn't mean they are all suicide bombers or spree shooters. Or for that matter, anti-semetic, white supremicists, clinic bombers, wife beaters or polygamists.

I made my facebook status something about prayers and thoughts going out to those at Ft. Hood. A few minutes ago I deleted a comment someone made on it about how he wondered if we could now trust people of certain religions in the military. I deleted it immediately.

I realize the climate in the world today is one of cautiousness and fear but for me....to single out particular religions...it's wrong. There are fanatics, extremists or terrorists in nearly EVERY religion. Look back in history and it's pretty evident. Judging a group of people based on the actions of some is never a smart idea and usually ends bad.

Granted, I'm no expert by any means but from what I do know, the majority of the "major" religions all have some of the same basic standards. Be kind to each other, be kind to yourself and be as good a person as you can be.

klmno

I agree- it isn't about religion, it is about extremists going nuts. The population might be primarily Christian in our country but we have had wars with countries where their population was primarily Christian as well. There are other Muslim followers in our military and a military spokesman said on tv this morning that there are many Muslims currently doing a fine job defending our side in the war.

I don't necessarily like the idea we are at war but we are so we have to deal with it. What I am looking at in this situation is that if someone's beliefs are such that they cannot fight in the war, there are other ways to deal with it without going on a killing spree.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know it's not about religion. Obviously this guy was an extremist. And I wonder if he was so against the war ect why he didn't just leave the military and return to civilian life.

I don't think someone's religion should be cause for concern. But I do think the Army dropped the ball in a major way when this officer was reported on several occasions for some outragious things he said to fellow officers ect.....Army investigated and dropped it for whatever reason. I hope now they look at how they could've handled the situation in a much better way.

My worry is that for anyone of that religion ect now in the military......they may catch backlash for this tragedy. Not fair to them. I hope it doesn't happen......

CrazyinVA

Staff member
From what I read, his religion had nothing to do with his "snap." This was a man who was proud to be in the military. His own religious leader has said as much. This was a man who simply couldn't take the thought of going to war, after treating so many young people who'd come back from it. I think he was ready to get out, and wasn't allowed to break his commitment to the military. The biggest irony for me is that he was a psychiatrist... that just blew me away.

witzend

It struck me more that he is a psychologist than that he is Muslim. I was quite upset that most everything I saw had mention of his being a Muslim in the first sentence of the reporting. Of course they almost all qualified it with "We can't say for sure if that has anything to do with what happened..." It's just wrong.

Mattsmom277

I have read he had a lawyer to help him get out of the military as he objected to participating in the war after treating so many others who went and came back that had stories to share with him that made it impossible for him to contemplate serving in that capacity.