I do NOT understand "Fitness Testing". (VENT/RANT)

Californiablonde

LOL, AnnieO! I love your description. I wish I could like your comment too! That so totally describes every single PE teacher I have ever had, and the teacher poor difficult child has this year too. I just hated PE in school and I was so happy my junior year when I didn't have to take it anymore. Had they have had the fitness test requirements back in my day, I wouldn't have graduated, despite being a straight A student. I don't think it's at all fair, to say the least.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Now I am REALLY irritated.

I just checked Pat's grades. He got a 100% on the Insanity Workout.

WAIT. WHAT?! I'm so sorry, but how is that appropriate? And if he gets 100% for that... ?!

BusynMember

Since when is PE part of a GPA? I never paid much attention to PE because it's not an academic subject and most kids just get their "A's" if they show up. If it's on the GPA, I don't think it should be. Has nothing to do with knowledge gained. It's a totally different animal.

I know when I was a kid I used to cut gym all the time because I hated it and my "D-" in Gym never affected my GPA, but things have probably changed. And I agree about gym teachers. I had some of the weirdest teachers ever as PE Instructors. I was extremely uncoordinated and probably had Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) (add that to my long alphabet soup list) and they didn't like me as it was...but some were just STRANGE. Luckily, my parents didn't give a rats what any of us got in PE as long as we passed. I come from a long line of scholarly klutzes...lol.

InsaneCdn

Here... PE doesn't count in GPA, because... it's only a requirement for kids. If you get your grade 12 as an adult, you still have to do the big uglies (English, science, math), but PE is NOT REQUIRED for graduation... and as it doesn't count for the adult grads, the rest of the grads don't have to count it either.

dstc_99

The US military requires a 9 minute mile. That is their standard when they do a formation run.

My husband who is a runner and ran in college just laughed when I told him they required a 6.30. He said the average kid really shouldn't even be running that fast of a mile when they are little. He couldn't do a 6 minute mile until highschool and he was on the cross country squad.

Long story short I find it extremely disgusting that they are holding little children to a standard that they don't even hold paid military personnel to.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
husband said when he was in, they had to do 3 miles in 21 minutes with full gear. That's 7 minutes a mile, average.

I'm considering a complaint... I work with the govt too, so I can find out what is required HERE on PAPER and go from there. Many of our kids have military parents...