I don't have faith in him...

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
In a lot of ways, Danny and I are like two peas in the pod - I don't want to hear I can't do something, or admit I can't do something until I am up against the wall, and still my head is trying to figure out a way to do it.

But, I admit (now that I am older) there are some things I just couldn't even begin to tackle.

Danny bought a car for 200 - great shape, cept it has a blown engine. He has been working doing some construction jobs, and bought himself an engine, for 150.00. Its been a couple of months - engine parts all over the garage - every dime he makes goes into parts. Every day I come home from work, I gotta go see what new part he has, and get a full detailed description of where it goes..

I offered to get the car to a garage so they can put it in, and he declined - doesn't want my money and he is going to do it himself. He was a bit miffed I didn't have faith in him - My jaw dropped - are you kidding me - I have not taken the pom poms out of my hand over this kid for the past 23 years - I am his biggest cheerleader ever. But I just wanna go hmmmmmmm when I see him put a car together and he has never ever done something like that. I have visions of him driving down the road with the wheels flying off :smile:

SO is amazed he has done so well with it - but admits it a job he wouldn't even tackle if he was able to- it just so, well, involved.

At least he has given up on the fact and admitted he could not have it up and running in two or three days

Will be interesting to see the end result..

Marcie

rejectedmom

Sometimes we learn from our mistakes and sometimes we learn from our successes. He is learning and staying out of trouble that is BIG!!! -RM

DammitJanet

Well at least putting money into parts means less money for other things...lol.

Good for Danny for attempting this project. What kind of car? Maybe he can get a custom paint job on it afterwards with his alias on the back....The Cheechmobile! LMAO. I will never ever forget that one.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I hear ya, Marcie. It's one thing if they are tinkering on something simple......but if a car isn't fixed correctly it can potentially hurt or kill.

Fingers crossed.

Hugs,
Suz

goldenguru

Maybe he can have it checked out by a certified mechanic when he's finished with it.

I think it is good for people to have a hobby/distraction/passion.

Who knows what this might lead to.

Good for your son.

KFld

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goldenguru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe he can have it checked out by a certified mechanic when he's finished with it.

</div></div>

That would be a good idea. Does your so know anything about cars. maybe he could check it out when he's done.

Sounds like a good project to keep him out of trouble. I would get the pom pom's out and pretend you have faith in him. Sometimes that is all it takes.

hearthope

Oh Marcie, I think it is wonderful he is fixing up an old car.

That is a dream that is shared by many men. It really doesn't matter how long it takes or the end result (although you want it to be safe) it is the journey and the thrill of doing it yourself.

I would keep my pom-poms and cheer on!

Traci

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
OMG Janet - the "Cheechmobile" Thats the PERFECT name for the car (which is a 92 Honda). I snorted coffee all over the computer desk when I read that..

We should do a post on what is the most boneheaded thing your difficult child has done.

For those of you who don't know the background on "Cheech", aka Danny, aka difficult child...

A few years ago he and a friend decided to change their name to "Cheech" and "Chong" so they went to the DMV and got new licenses (in Dan's case, ID) reflecting this bright idea which apparently had come to them in some potheaded haze while watching Up In Smoke. Its pretty funny now, but I so was not amused at the time

Cheechmobile...chuckling still..

:rofl: :rofl:

Marcie

lovemysons

Hi Marcie,

I think it's great the your difficult child is trying to do this all by himself...like Janet said it's better his money is going into this rather than "other things".

lms

witzend

At least he is working on it every day. My husband starts a project and he just can not finish it. I'm talking YEARS. And you can't clean up the garage or the workbench or whatever because he "needs those tools handy because he's working with them!"

TerryJ2

Well, good luck with-the Cheechmobile. I hope it does keep him out of trouble and that he has a mechanic look it over in the end.
Sigh.

The most boneheaded thing my difficult child has ever done? Gosh, we should start another thread. LOL. He's only 10, but he's always right ... and he insisted that potatoes were wheat, because the peelings were brown.

:slap:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Terry, I have noticed that a lot of our difficult child's are the absolute authority on knowing everything about everything. I know mine sure is..

Car is almost finished - engine is in and he is hooking stuff up. He has been very methodical - found places on the web that have instructions on installing engines, Honda's in particular.

He has put the old engine outside as he found a place that will buy it from him and melt it down so he can buy some more odds and ends. He still has not asked me for a dime - has earned the money all by himself (He has been doing freelance construction for some of it and the rest, am not sure I want to know LOL)

The plans for it now are to put it up for sale so he can upgrade. Now all he needs is a license and some insurance - I will probably help him out with that since he has really been doing good..

Marcie

witzend

Very cool, Marcie. It's really nice that he has found somoething constructive that he enjoys so much. It will be useful in applying these things to other parts of his life.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This project might just teach him much more than just how to fix a car. :smile:

sister in law is like that. At first it drove easy child crazy. Til I explained to her that he had a need to fix things, to tinker, and if she wanted a happy husband she'd not fuss much about it.

She has a happy husband. :smile:

Now she's getting a remodeled kitchen. lol (with his stepdad's help)

Plus, they've profited mightily from several of the cars sister in law's fixed up and sold.

I hope he's able to see the project through.

Hugs

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: witzend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least he is working on it every day. My husband starts a project and he just can not finish it. I'm talking YEARS. And you can't clean up the garage or the workbench or whatever because he "needs those tools handy because he's working with them!" </div></div>

I was thinking, "Wow, he's sticking with it and really learning some patience!" So many kids out there want everything instantaneously and don't have the patience or stamina to see the project through. If it isn't road worthy, the problem will reveal itself and he may have no choice but to allow a mechanic to give it the once over. *good luck*