I don't think I'll sleep much tonight

tiredmommy

Poor Duckie's asthma has kicked up pretty badly this weekend; we've needed to use her Proventil both days. It just makes me so stressed worrying about her. :crying:

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM,
I'm sorry her asthma is so bad right now. I hope that she is feeling better soonest and I hope you are able to get some sleep.

LittleDudesMom

Tired, I hope Duckie was able to get some sleep last night. I wonder if the cold weather is playing a role. I know my sister suffers more when it gets really cold, even though she takes preventative medications every day. She has gone to not having any life Christmas plants or a real Christmas tree in the house over the holidays. They seem to add to her discomfort with the cold weather. Give Duckie a hug for me.

Sharon

smallworld

TM, hope you and Duckie both got some sleep last night. In addition to asthma medications, warm, moist air (think steamy showers) helps my girls a lot. I'm sending positive healing thoughts your way.

tiredmommy

Thanks ladies. She's also on asmanex (maintenance), nasonex (nasal steroid) and zyrtec (allergies).

We haven't put out many decorations yet, and those that are out have been cleaned. Our real Christmas tree is in the garage waiting until next weekend to put up so that mold spores won't be released. We'll put it up Sunday night and take down the following Sunday to minimize allergens.

I think her head cold is the main trigger with activity on Saturday (running around at church) and possibly smog yesterday (we spent the day in a steel town... Hamilton, Ontario).

Thanks again. I was up and down throughout the night.

Jena

hi

sorry i actually slept last night lol. i'm so sorry to hear that. asthma can be so scary. easy child used to have it and the same exact stuff used to set her off. do you have a neubulizer at home to use???

sorry u had a rough night.

Fran

Former desparate mom
TM, I was so hoping you didn't sleep much because of something good. Like sugarplums dancing.
I can say that I understand your anxiety of what may potentially happen.
difficult child had febrile convulsions so no matter how slight a fever he had I was in over drive vigilance. He would be fine and I would be wiped out.

Take care of yourself and hope she is feeling better today.

SRL

Poor Duckie, I hope she turns around quickly.

TM, I found that colds are my primary trigger so as soon as I know a cold is coming on, I roll out the big guns medwise.

eekysign

Random question for the asthma parents. Is this something most kids "grow" out of? I remember knowing a billion kids with inhalers when I was younger, but I can't think of a single adult I know with asthma now. Better maintenance drugs? "Grown out" of it? What gives? :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
TM, difficult child 1 has the same problems any time he gets a cold. Like SRL, we break out the heavy artillery when happens (the "yellow" Advair, and even the "red" if he gets really bad). Fortunately, he's been fairly healthy this year. Maybe my hounding about hand washing is finally paying off!

Eekysign, I had asthma as a kid, and now I might have one wheezing episode per year. I think many people's immune systems change as they age and they are able to tolerate some allergic triggers as they get older. Also, our airways get larger as we grow into adulthood. It's probably a combination of factors. Then there are people like my brother who still cannot be in a house with a cat without having breathing problems -- and he's nearly 40.

TerryJ2

Oh, I'm sorry.
My husband has asthma. He spent an awful lot of time at doctors' ofcs and in the hospital while he was growing up. His mom was always worried about him. She installed a linoleum floor in his bedroom, and removed the curtains and anything that could gather dust. He turned out fine. He hasn't been in the hospital since we've been married--29 yrs!
How is Duckie's attitude?