I feel like a pin cushion!

DammitJanet

I had my ortho appointment this morning and they took more xrays.

They did the hip series today. Ugh is all I can say. They showed me the pictures and you know how the ball joint is supposed to rest in the socket like O)? Well on my left hip, the ) part is deteriorating horribly. It looks like it is melting into my pelvic bone. I guess its my top pelvic bone. No darn wonder the hip hurts so bad!

The right one only has some mild pitting that is viewable by xray. What is really concerning to both the doctor and me is that I dont normally show the arthritis well on xrays. It normally is much worse when they open me up. Sigh.

I dont know what this means for me except I have a feeling Im a time bomb. This one idiot intern was in there with me and I asked him why this was happening to me and he said "its arthritis, it happens as one ages!"

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im 45!!!!! This has been happening to me for at least the last 10 years if not longer. I first went to a doctor about my knees when I was 24 I think. I dont think I qualified for elderly then and I dont think I was elderly at 35. Heck...I had my first scope at 41 and that wasnt elderly! I am dealing with arthritis that looks like what people in their late 60s and 70s deal with. Not mid 40s. I want to know why Im progressing this fast. No one has an answer for me. Maybe Im asking the wrong specialty.

But...this specialty is giving me the suprax injections again. I think that is the name of this batch. A series of 5 injections of gel in my knees. Then they did the steroid injections into both hips...ouch!

Next week when I go back for the next gel injection they are going to xray my back and do injections into my spine. Oh joy! I should be able to water the garden soon and glow in the dark!

TerryJ2

Janet, 45 is awfully young for arthritis, but since you've seen it for yourself, well, there it is. I would guess that part of it is hereditary, part may have been diet (aka too much soda and red meat, and not enough calcium over the yrs), and part may be weight. (I'm just going by your bio, which lists morbid obesity, which can be a factor in hip problems.)
Did they suggest surgery? PT?
Or just injections?
Yup. The intern is a loser. He could have at least referred you to a web page. 45 is still too young for that much arthritis, in my humble opinion. Wait until HE's 45!
I cannot imagine how much it must hurt ... I'm so sorry. I will probably have it some day in my hips, too. I've already got in in my neck and lower back, so why not the hips? Sheesh.

busywend

Ugh! Janet, I hope they figure out why this is progressing on you. Sorry you were a pin cushion today, but I hope it helps.

F

flutterbee

Doesn't sound like much fun at all.

I hope you find some relief with the injections. And if you glow, at least you'll save on your electric bill.

Always looking for the silver lining.... :rofl:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet

I'm no doctor but that doesn't sound like arthritis to me. Sounds more like degenerative joint disease of some kind. Especially when you started out so early. My sis has a form of degenerative joint disease. Not at all pleasant. Hers started going in her 20's. Took them til in her late 40's to figure out what the heck it was. :slap:

Will they do a hip replacement if the one hip is so bad??

Ouch!! :smile: Is right. I think it'd take an awful lot of medications just to get me to the point I'd let them give me the treatment. :faint:

I sure hope it helps.

Hugs

DammitJanet

Degeneritive joint disease is any one of a number of the arthritis's. Supposedly I have OA. Im not completely sure I believe them.

It would make sense that the surgical ortho docs arent big into worrying about the WHY's of all this because they are the cutters and the pokers. I probably need to see someone else to find out why. I saw a rheumatologist several years ago to confirm my diagnosis's and my treatments and she confirmed that she was in concurrence with the diagnosis and what we were doing for treatment. Her office is a distance from me so my gp is the one who did my treatments. I may ask about seeing her again.

Lothlorien

Ortho is doing the right thing. Ditto what Terry said. It's all got a lot to do with the degeneration process. Once it starts, it will progress over time. You said you had it at 24 in your knees. Is it possible that you had a congenital disorder and didn't know. I have a friend who is 38 and has needed hip replacement for years, but is trying to hold off until this new procedure becomes more common, since only a few surgeon are doing it now. It's just the femoral ball and neck, without the stem. It makes it easier for revision when she's older. It was a procedure done in the 70's for young people, but failed, because the technology was poor. They are using much better metals and plastics now and supposedly this is a better procedure for younger people.

It's being done at a hospital in Hackensack, NJ, but the guy who is doing it, doesn't take most insurances, if any.

Steely

Just sending big hugs..............and praying that the pain lessens. I have no words of wisdom, unfortunately, just sending positive thoughts.
:cool-dog:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet,

I am so sorry for the pain you feel every day. Not just the arthritis, but all of it. I know the shots feel like more than just a shot. It's more a total package kinda thing like: Look world I don't feel well, I ache, my bones hurt, I can't shake the weight, my wrists make me want to cry, my feet are sore and swollen and dang it....I did NOT ask to be like this.

-just remember we're here for you

Hugs
Star

TerryJ2

It would make sense that the surgical ortho docs arent big into worrying about the WHY's of all this because they are the cutters and the pokers. I probably need to see someone else to find out why. I saw a rheumatologist several years ago to confirm my diagnosis's and my treatments and she confirmed that she was in concurrence with the diagnosis and what we were doing for treatment.

Absolutely. If they can't cut it, they don't care.

everywoman

Janet, I am another 4o something with joints of an 80 year old. I had arthoscopy done this summer on both knees to try and put off replacement. I still have a lot of pain and ortho told me that when I can't take it anymore just call. Hopefully I can make another 5 years and at least hit 50 before replacements start!