I fell off the wagon...cigarettes, again!

DDD

The stress got to be too much for me the week before the big event. There were a series of unexpected last minute problems (the cook and the timing team bowed out due to family problems) and the Mayor closed to access road for one hour which meant from 8:15 to 8:15 people going to the Challenge were given a may which included driving "thru a practice football field in a yucky neighborhood". Yikes. THEN, the family reunion was at the same time. Twenty of the kids and grandkids.

Wish me luck getting back on the straight and narrow! DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good luck DDD. :D

I'm not trying again until I'm done with school. Stress is just too much and it blows my concentration right out of the water. But once it's over.........getting me a new scrpt of chantix and getting off these expensive things.

Yup, I think all that could've caused me to want a cig awfully bad. lol

Hugs

witzend

3D, what method are you trying? I never would have made it off the smokes (18 years 2 packs a day, now 17 years off) without assistance. Of course, the first part of my "assistance" was getting a blood clot on my lung and barely being able to breathe for weeks. But when I was feeling well enough to take a deep breath and knew for sure I was able to and wanted to smoke again, I did the patches and anti-anxiety medications. Now they have that Chantix, which I've heard good things about.

Don't feel badly that you didn't totally succeed this time. Ask for help, make a plan, and try again. All these years later, when there is a tough situation, it still pops into my head, "Where's my smokes?" It's a horrible addiction. Since they say it's an addiction, it must be a disease (self inflicted or not) so I see nothing wrong with asking for medical help and counseling to get past it. You'll be really happy you did.

Good luck!

DammitJanet

Im gonna try soon again myself. I just got a prescription for chantix. I am getting real tired of paying so much for a carton. I smoke way too much so they are expensive. I really should have got the prescription when I got out of the hospital and maybe I would have stayed off them but my anxiety was so sky high I wanted nothing more but reaching for my comfortable soother. Nothing else would help. Hell, when the pots and pans and the food in the grocery store is talking to you...cigarettes are needed!

DDD

Thanks for the encouragement. After eleven years with-o a cigarette, I was
"hooked" in one day. It's a mindblowing addiction. In the past I tried Nicorette, hypnosis and exercise. I'm not familiar with Chantix although I have seen the commercials. I don't have a plan yet but know that I need one. Once again :( it will be difficult with two smokers in the house! Thanks for rooting me on. I'll tell you when I take the plunge! DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Welcome to the club DDD. I managed a year without cigs and started up again a couple of months ago.

I am kicking myself. Off-brand cigs cost nearly six dollars a pack up here and I went right back to my two pack a day habit.

The problem is...I LIKE smoking. I really enjoy it. The real problem is that I started smoking in my teens and I've heard that the earlier you start the harder it is to quit.

crazymama30

Hugs. I did not fall off the wagon, I dove. After I dropped husband off at psychiatric hospital last Thursday I bought a pack. I am now on my third pack. Hugs. I am hoping to quit again after this one, may get one more.

Life happens, and stress hoovers

DDD

The $$ cost has been a shocker. The Newports that easy child/difficult child buys cost
around $5 and you can get two for under $10. I realized I was not going to quickly drop the habit so I checked the tar/nicotene count on all brands and went back to Merit's...what I smoked years ago. One pack costs almost $8. The other low tar/nicotene brands are also that much.
That's crazy. on the other hand, smoking has always been my vice of choice. All these years I've referred to buying a bottle of scotch when the stress was too great. I'm sure at least some CD members figured I had a drinking problem, lol. As soon as I inhaled my first cigarette, I literally did not give one thought to having a drink. Now I see the prices I think booze is the more affordable vice. :surprise: DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I want to quit but I can't seem to get the oomph to do it. Difference between wanting to and WANTING to, if you know what I mean.

Strangely mine is more habit than anything. I can go for HOURS and be fine... Until I think about it or have a chance... Then it's when when when when when now!

And at home? Yeah. It's a bit stressful there.

I have some of that Commit... Now I have to open the box...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
One pack costs almost $8.

I'm glad you told me. Merits were what I was smoking when I quit in 2002. I miss them almost every single dang day but I sure can't afford 8 bucks a pack when I was a 2 pack a day smoker. The patches are what finally helped me the most, but the truth is, by that time I was ready to quit and that's the biggest hurdle.

You have my sympathies, D3. I know if I ever have one, I'll be back in the saddle again, too.

Hugs,
Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
(memememee lalalalalh)

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette...
Puff, puff, puff, until you puff yourself to death
See St. Peter at the Golden Gate
Tell him he's just gonna have to wait
Cause I gotta have another puff
Of that cigarette....(shoobeeee dooo whop whop whaappppp)

There IS a new vaccine coming out you know. The average person tries NINE times to quit unsuccessfully before getting disgusted enough with themselves to quit for good.

And like My Dad always said - Smoking a PalMal is better than killing a kid.
;)

trinityroyal

The average person tries NINE times to quit unsuccessfully before getting disgusted enough with themselves to quit for good.

Yup, that sounds about right. It took me 7 or 8 tries before it took for good, 16 years ago. Before that, I smoked a pack a day.

DDD, I think with that level of stress, and being around people who smoke, I may very well have fallen off the wagon too. Everyone I know has either quit or never took it up in the first place, which makes a huge difference.

The fact that you were able to stay off them for so long with smokers in the house is a testament to your strength. When you're ready you'll be able to do it again.

I'm in your cheering section.

Trinity

witzend

And like My Dad always said - Smoking a PalMal is better than killing a kid.
One time when L was about 8 and M was about 5 I was trying to quit. We'd gone grocery shopping and they were spatting at each other the entire time. Nothing I could say or do would make them stop. We got all the groceries in the cart and through the check-out line, and for some reason I had cash to pay for them but no money in the checking account so I didn't bring the checkbook. This was before debit cards. Except the cash wasn't in my purse. So I drag these two gutter snipes back into the car, and start driving home with no food for the family for the weekend and they're screaming at each other. I'm sure the money's gone and we're going to go hungry. Mind you, when I get up the nerve to yell, there's no mistaking that I am angry. I told them that if they didn't shut up I'd put them out on the street and make them walk home. We were about a mile and a half from home and we lived in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

Needless to say, when I got my $$$ I bought some smokes. (I think it was in a coat pocket.) Better to smoke a Virginia Slim than to let a 5 year old walking home through the slums and ask a working girl for directions.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You guys are so right... I was thinking about quitting again, about now, but I don't think it would be good for husband's and the kids' health.

Think I'll put this off till Christmas-ish, when Jett is at BM's for a week.