I found my grandmother's family bible!

DammitJanet

We were dismantling this old broken down little dresser that I had been using as a tv stand in my bedroom because I bought a cheap little dresser that I could actually open the drawers on. This old one was so decrepit that the drawers were stuck shut.

Tony carried it down to the woods to the burn pile and basically tore it apart to see what was in it and found a bunch of my mom's old clothes but also in it was my Grandmother's family bible. I still dont have her maiden name (sigh) but I do have some names and birth dates of people I dont even know. Also dates of deaths. Amazing how many of us were either born or died in January...lol. The last entry in the bible was my son Billy! By the time Jamie came along, my grandmother was still alive but she was too far gone into dementia and my mom never kept it up. I will have to make additions to it and catch it up to date.

This is a cool finding.

klmno

What a prize!! I'm so glad Tony tore it apart and looked before setting it ablaze! What a gift to have and pass down to another generation!

donna723

What a wonderful thing to have turn up out of the blue like that! And what great luck that Tony dismantled it and didn't just toss it on the fire!

Janet, have you ever tried going on Ancestry.com? It's about $20 a month to join if you do it month to month or less if you sign up for a year. I've been on it for about a month and I've found the answers to questions I've had for years! I never even knew my great-grandparents names and now I know who they were, what they did, where they came from, where they lived, and even saw pictures of some of them! And when you put in someone's name, even if you're not sure who they are, if that person is in someone elses "Tree", even a distant relative, it will tell you and you can look on theirs and see what information they have on that person. And it brings up all kinds of records for that person - birth, death and marriage records, old census information, immigration records, military records, all kinds of things. You can even add pictures if you have them. I've found out all sorts of things and even figured out who the heck some of those peripheral relatives were that I vaguely remember from when I was a kid! I even know what one of my great-great-grandfathers looked like now! It's a lot of fun and very intriguing. I found some addresses, looked them up on Google Earth, and saw the house that my grandfather lived in when he was a little boy! You might give it a try ... but fair warning - it IS addicting!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
That is exciting! I would love to find something of that nature from my mom's mother ~ G'ma was such an enigma to all of us.

Star*

call 911........call 911
If you call me sometime with the info you have? Ill see what I can trace for you.

Glad you have it.