I give up. It hurts too much to hope.

AppleCori

I saw on another thread that your son has Hep B, contracted at birth, not C. Sorry, I was mixed up.

Is B easily cured with medications?

Copabanana

I
Is B easily cured with medications?
About 5 years ago they started using an AIDS drug to control it.

It can eradicate the appearance of the virus in the body, but it cannot kill it off completely. It hides and can reappear.

My son told me that he was told by his Doctor that some of her patients have serio-converted. In testing they no longer show as any longer having the virus.

Hepatitis B is very very complicated. Too complicated for me to understand.

Last edited:

Albatross

So happy to read your wonderful news, Copa! Very happy for you and for him that he decided to follow through with his care. I hope you are able to rest a little (or a lot) easier tonight.

Lil

I'm glad to hear that he's going back to his doctor. I'm sure it's a load off your mind and I'm sure it's for the best. After your post I did some "googling" and was amazed at the number of articles on holistic medicine and alternative treatments for Hep B. There are websites that go so far at to say outright "Pharmaceuticals are Never a Viable Option". Wow.
http://www.medicinenet.com/hepatitis_b/page5.htm

It's no wonder he got the idea in his head. Heck, even WebMD and other such sites talk about the benefits of herbal supplements - as an accessory to, not as the only treatment. http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/news/20021001/chinese-herbs-boost-hepatitis-b-treatment

Maybe, if he becomes resistant to taking drugs again, you can use this to get him to see the drugs and supplements as complimentary to each other?

Copabanana

I'm glad to hear that he's going back to his doctor.
Well I am humbled yet again.

First I will tell you where I am at and after, what happened.

My son did not make Friday's appointment with the liver doctor, but he had called a couple of weeks ago requesting one.

He would have missed this Friday's appointment because he did not know about it.

The victory lap I made was only partially merited. While he had listened a few weeks ago and did call his doctor, he had not followed up.

All of my peace of mind had been a trick on myself, based upon one automated phone call. One call, that was all it took to move from doom to elation.

One call more, back to doom, when I realized he did not know about the appointment, and seemed to not take it so seriously.

I am ready to kill off my ego and superego. Because I realize that the illusion I have of any control is fueled by my poor ego that thinks it can know or have control over anything. I do not. I am beat up by my superego, to blood and pulp.

I see now (yet again) why people turn to Buddhism to relearn and live by appropriate and sane ego limits.

For now all I know is: I don't know. What will happen, will happen, and I will accept it. I am OK right this minute.

He called last night. He is temporarily in my town, he said, only until Friday and says he will be staying in yet another County in a big city next to the other BIG CITY.

My telling my son last night was the first he knew about Friday's appointment!

I asked him, would it help you out any if I would go with you on Friday on the train?

He hemmed and hawed (I am kinda low in money for the ticket he said.)

I am talking about accompanying you to the doctor.

Well, yeah.

OK. Then why don't you call me Thursday to confirm and we can buy our train tickets.
__
I will not buy a ticket for him unless I am on the train.

Lil

One call, that was all it took to move from doom to elation.

I am sorry he still isn't taking the doctor's visits seriously. I'm not a huge fan of alternative medicine...but you know, there is a lot of stuff on line about using herbal supplements for Hep B. If I were you, I'd read everything you can get your hands (eyes) on and learn about it. Maybe it isn't as good as medication...but it could be that what he's doing (if he's actually taking supplements) is keeping things in check at least a bit. Maybe it will help put your mind at ease at least enough to keep you from worrying about imminent death. I'm sorry it's not as optimistic as you'd thought.

Copabanana

Thank you Lil. I will read as much as I can.

My son called a few minutes ago. He proposed he come over and hang out with us for the day.

(My stomach churned. I gulped, remembering that I am trying to act from love not fear), Sure. Are you thinking about staying the night, with us going to the train together in the morning?

Yeah, sure. I will go and pick him up in a couple of hours and we will go to the doctor in the morning. We have not gone together in 6 years, when he was first prescribed the anti-viral.

Thank you for your support Lil, and everybody.

Scent of Cedar *

I am ready to kill off my ego and superego. Because I realize that the illusion I have of any control is fueled by my poor ego that thinks it can know or have control over anything. I do not. I am beat up by my superego, to blood and pulp.

Copa, you are doing everything a normal, loving mom would do. You are following and trusting and believing in and for, your son; now that you understand his situation differently, you are doing everything in your power to see that it is possible for him to make tomorrow's appointment.

Please don't beat yourself up Copa, for things you truly cannot control. It is never wrong to do what we can, as long as we do not repeatedly and consistently enable unhealthy behaviors or beliefs. This was not enabling. This was making it possible for your son to receive the life-saving treatment he requires. Regarding those beautiful feelings of elation over changes in your child's situation, Copa: It is never, ever, wrong to celebrate any smallest success with our whole hearts.

There is too much pain for us already.

We do our best, Copa. Our very best that we know how to do for our kids. Sometimes, the only comfort we can take is that we did do our best, given what we knew when we made our conscious and deliberate and deliberated choice.

Now, you must try very hard to do your best for Copa. No one gets to beat her up or mistreat her in any way mentally, physically, or emotionally ever again.

Someone is setting you up for hurting Copa, but it isn't you.

Whose voice do you hear?

Tell them Cedar, speaking in the powerful name of The Foo Chronicles, said to shut up.

:O)

Cedar

Scent of Cedar *

(My stomach churned. I gulped, remembering that I am trying to act from love not fear), Sure. Are you thinking about staying the night, with us going to the train together in the morning?

Yeah, sure. I will go and pick him up in a couple of hours and we will go to the doctor in the morning. We have not gone together in 6 years, when he was first prescribed the anti-viral.

Oh, this is just the best news, Copa.

I love the part about choosing to act from love, not fear.

I am happy for you.

Cedar.

Lioness

Lioness
Thank you Lil. I will read as much as I can.

My son called a few minutes ago. He proposed he come over and hang out with us for the day.

Thank you for your support Lil, and everybody.
Copa I'm so happy for you I know that this Doctors appointment and the will he won't he go has been distressing you. Stay strong you are an inspiration to us all. Hugs

SeekingStrength

Copa,

This may not help you, but i hope it does. My mom was diagnosed with Hep B about 20 years ago. She does not believe in western medicine, and the family felt certain she did not have long to live. She thought it was from a blood transfusion during arm surgery.

She is now 83. She has lots of problems, medical and others, but Hep B does not seem to be one of them right now. She did have years of ups and downs with it--extreme tiredness, for one thing.

While i would never recommend her path and I know it is not to be taken lightly (I think I would be all over what the Dr. prescribed), she has done okay - with the Hep B, anyway.

I am glad you are going to appointment with your son.
Please keep us posted.

Hugs,
SS