I got a job!

Jena

Hi everyone :D

I hope everyone's day was good and difficult child's were calm......

This is the first time Im on all day. I decided today would be the day I'd find something. So, I did after about 3 dept. stores I hit one and boom I got a job. I really needed something to get us through holidays. He was getting nervous that he'd have to cover all the kids gifts. Which would not be fair at all.

So, the pay is beyond horrible. $8 an hour!!! Wow, how my life has certainly changed lol. it's going to take me all week to make what I normally made in a day. Yet it's been 6 mos. now without a whole lot going on. Tried to build legal bus somewhat but no go. So i have two files left to complete, just file petitions but no more billable hours. I was starting to get nervous that I'd not be able to be santa this year, or i'd have to with boyfriend's help yet again. I wanted to lift his load a bit.

So, if i can manage at least 30 hours a week that should do it. I'll be selling jewelry, i like jewelry lol :) I'm telling you at this point $8 an hour sounds like a fortune for me. Funny how our perception and respect for money increases when we dont' have any lol.

Plus, discount employees rates as well. Yet boyfriend said it's the most expensive dept store why would we buy there?? hmmm cause i'll be working there?? :) in the jewelry department!!!!!

So, meanwhile i'm waiting to get my cert. thru bar to be a guardian, the respite job never came through ugh! I can continue now to keep sending those resumes, at least we'll have somewhat of a reprieve. thank goodness.

He even told me if i like it i can stay on part time after holidays, they'll increase pay which makes sense while i'm trying to get appointed guardian in the courts. I used to bartend, i was so tempted yet i truly can't scan local bars at my age and with difficult child on medication's and at night being home with easy child. no go!!!

just wanted to share and tell you guys!!:abouttime:

4sumrzn

That's GREAT! Hey....don't feel bad about the pay....I just went back to work & make $7/hr. I have had 2 part time jobs over the past 8 years that I have been off of work with difficult child....both paid more than that! My full time babysitting jobs over those years paid WAY more! But, it's a job & it was hard to find :( All of them being way less than what I made for 13 years in pharmacy :( I keep telling myself that "something" is better than "nothing". CONGRATS on your job & hope you get some good deals with that discount too :)

F

flutterbee

Congratulations! Jewelry.....I could do that all day long. I'd be using that employee discount!

Jena

thanks guys!! That's what he said, he said what are you going to do spend your entire pay?? I said umm no buy groceries (we can't keep up with the kids lately), and xmas money!!

Your so right for now it's something. If it wasn't for being here quite honestly i don't know where we'd be right now, surviving i mean in this economy.

susiestar

Roll With It
Congrats on the job! Use that employee discount with the sales and clearance merchandise and you may well come out ahead on the gifts. Esp with the older girls! But don't feel bad about the pay. It is honest work and so is nothing to be ashamed of!

Hugs, and I will PM later in the weekend.

Susie

nvts

Jen! Fellow New Yorker here! Keep checking the bigger dept. stores. I've heard that some are still offering Bonus' if you work through the holidays.

Congrats on snagging this one! It's funny, my husband always bought me jewelry and I was never one to wear it. I'm lucky if I remember to take my earings out to clean them! I only wear my 3 earings, a chain with my crucifix, wedding ring and claddaugh ring.

The one year he gave me exercize equipment, I got pregnant and wasn't allowed to use it! lol! But it was what I truly wanted!

The year he gave me pots and pans was the one I liked best!

I'm just lousy at the "girlish" (difficult child 2's term) stuff! :rolleyes:

Have fun with it!

Beth

KTMom91

Congrats on the job! Selling jewelry...how fun! I love all the sparklies, I have a big collection, and yes, I wear lots of it. I'd be burning up that discount!

Jena

:beautifulthing:Good morning!!!

Yes anything at this point would be great. I need to work desperately while difficult child is in school i'm climbing walls!!

Susie yes I'm def going to take advantage of it for older easy child's without a doubt.

Beth - It's (big department store that starts with an M). You wouldn't believe it though. Economy's so so bad they have capped all commission's so normally i'd make commission off what i sell yet i won't. What they do do is they give you a credit card and put extra money on it. They have a way of making sure the money goes back into the store lol. I got a call bk from a few other stores also. So, we'll see.

I"m not big on jewelry either. I wear nothing but my engagement ring and a cool ring on my other finger with a black stone sterling silver. I used to have one of those circle pendant necklaces yet I lost it when I did the laundry. My engagement ring's small, yet has a history which is what i wanted. We bought it from a contact i had at my old office, estate sale stuff. I'Tourette's Syndrome from 1920's very antique looking, was worn by woman married for a million years, husband passed, etc. Weird i know yet i'd rather have jewelry with history than something shiney from store any day.

Kt - yes, i'd problem get easy child something from there i've already thought. She's ready now at almost 16 i think not to lose something. :)

andy thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Left over jewelry may be sent to
STAR
C/O the Dragon-ss Ranch

CONGRATULATIONS -

And you must send some to Toto - she's so enamored with shiney things.

Last edited by a moderator:

klmno

Congratulations!! It could be a lot worse than this! Hang in there and go with it. You already sound like you are feeling better about yourself and that goes a LONG way!!

trinityroyal

Congratulations on the job, Jen!
Macy's. I LOVE Macy's! And the jewellery department...what fun!

As others have said, it's honest work, and you never know what sort of opportunities will present themselves.

Yay!

Trinity

Jena

:dance:klmno - yup i lack adult contact at this point!! I jump all over him when he gets home everynight at 11 or 12. i ramble on profusely about my day, difficult child, easy child, and whatever else happens in my little world. we sometimes don't get to bed until 2, he's very patient though we sit with our tea and he lets me ramble.

sometimes just adult conversation is huge!! This place helps alot. I used to have a balance I do not anymore. Hopefully being able to get difficult child into school, job doesn't start till ten so tha'Tourette's Syndrome good will enable me to feel like a grown up again LOL

Trinity - thanks! I love that store also. My wardrobe is black, all black. I love black my favorite color!! lol, yes morbid.