I got a new (used) car!

DammitJanet

After the car wreck I have been driving my old 1990 Toyota pickup. Its a decent truck but tiny and has some creaks and squeaks. I dont like driving it any long distances and really couldnt wait to get another car.

I have been looking both online and in town for a good car for the price I was willing to pay. I wasnt having much luck at all. The only ones that even closely met my criteria where at least 100 miles away. That would be difficult.

Yesterday Billy and I went out looking in person. We went to several places and we finally found one that while it isnt my dream car, is decent. I had decided I didnt want another sedan because they are fairly low to the ground and that is getting hard on me getting in and out. I wanted a crossover or SUV. At the final place we were even going to look we found one I was willing to consider and finally they came down to my price...cash out the door. It was funny because after I looked at the one that I really wanted and it turned out to have more miles on it than I was willing to consider Billy gave me his keys to go sit in his car with the AC on while he took the key back to the salesman. Well that salesman simply wasnt going to give up. He went running around to the back where they had some cars they hadnt put out on the front lot yet but they were ready for sale. He brought out a Pacifica with the right number of miles and then he managed to talk them down to my price. I really got a good deal considering what Edmunds says the car is worth.

The car, or actually minivan, is bigger than I was really looking for but it drives wonderfully and Im sure I will get used to driving a larger vehicle. Im definitely going to have to practice parking and backing up...lol. At least this will be comfortable and it is large enough if I need to put the electric scooter on the back.

I hope this works out well. Im sure the gas mileage will be nothing like my other car was but oh well.

Jody

Yeah, Janet I am glad to hear this. I also went to a van. I love it, It's so nice to get in and out of and I can haul almost anything in it which I love. Mine is a Nissan Quest. My gas mileage is abou te same, or actually a little better, because my car was in such bad shape. Comngrats on the new car.

DammitJanet

bby, Im really glad to hear that! I was hoping someone on here had one and would like it...lol. I love it so far. There is one button that allows the passengers to open their own windows that is stuck so it doesnt work. I have to take it back to the place and get them to fix it. I was smart enough to make them change their 3 month warranty to a 6 month warranty. I tried to get them to go to 12 but they wouldnt...lol. I may get in touch with one of those warranty programs and get a private one.

I also got a very good deal on this because if I check Edmunds the value is 11K. I only paid 8 for it so I would be really lucky if someone hit me tomorrow...lol. I could get an even better car! We figured out why they could drop the price so much...it was a repo. I figure that someone finally got to the point they werent upside down in their loan and missed a payment and got the car repoed. That happens a lot. They are more forgiving when you owe more than the car is worth but once you owe less, they want the car back.

BusynMember

Congrats, Janet! I get new used cars once every three years...lol. Love 'em. We have no car payment and hub is a mechanic so they stay in great running condition.

DammitJanet

Wow every three years!!!! I want this one to last forever...lol. I think my Focus was on its way to lasting me at least 10 years or more because it was a great running car. It had been paid for 2 years exactly before it was totaled. I know it had at least another 150,000 miles in it if we took care of it.

Now this one I am going to take very good care of. I have been threatened by the monkey that I cant let it get dirty..lol. A good part of the reason my backseat was so bad was her drinking and eating in my backseat. I hadnt had that car a week and Hubby let her drink a red bug juice in her car seat. She was only 13 months old and most of it went all over her and the car. It should have been in a sippy cup not a bottle. I dont mean baby bottle, the bottle the drink came in.

So now I have one of those dog mats that go over the back seat and I put a small trash can in the car. I also bought this microfiber mitt to help keep the dust and dirt off of things. I smoke and ashes tend to get on my door handle. I am wiping those off daily and then using the mitt to dry everything off.

One thing Im amazed at with this car is how many of those 12 volt things it has. It has two in the front seat, two in the back and one in the cargo area. Im not entirely sure what I would use that for but I can charge just about anything we need! The ones in the back seat are great because I can plug in tablets without needing 9 feet of wire. However now I need a car charger for a samsung tablet..lol.

Kathy813

Staff member
What a way to drive a bargain! I may have to come get you the next time I go car shopping. That will probably be a while because my 2006 Honda accord only has 87,000 miles on it. From what I hear about accords, we have at least another 100,000 to go.

I'm starting to get that new car itch but I keep telling myself it would be crazy to take on another car payment when we have a perfectly good car that is totally paid for.

Your post is not helping. LOL

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Kathy that was what I was looking for...well almost. I wanted a SUV/crossover with less than 80,000 miles on it. You wouldnt believe how hard that was to find at any dealer. Well at least near me. There were many up near Raleigh but that was far to go until I had looked really hard around me. I just lucked into this one and its probably bigger than I need but oh well.