I got the stupidest email today

DammitJanet

I am probably as white as Billie is. I think Jamie fuels her fire because he adores Keyana and openly saws things to people about how beautiful she is. I dont think that makes her too happy. If Jamie goes out somewhere and takes the two girls, he tells everyone they are both his...lol.

DammitJanet

Donna...these kids down here cant help but be brought up indian. Its everywhere. Even if you arent indian...you are by osmosis. Tony always said I should be full blooded indian by now because I got a little indian in me every saturday night...lmao.

We live in what is basically a reservation but it isnt. It isnt closed in. This tribe is fighting for recognition on the Federal level and has been for years. If anyone is interested just look up the Lumbee Indians. They really are interesting. They are the decendents of Sir Walter Raleighs lost colony which is why so many have blond hair and blue eyes.

susiestar

Roll With It
Lizanne, You are BRILLIANT!! It was totally OK to say what you said. It was far more acceptable than what the other mom said

Janet, does Cory KNOW she feels this way?? How does he feel about Haillie and the new baby learning this type of thing?

trinityroyal

Janet, I think your daughter in law doesn't have enough sandwiches to make a picnic. Honestly! I can't believe that she thought that joke was funny. And I'm appalled that she continues to make such remarks about Keyana. What's she trying to prove!?

Lizanne, I think your comment was spot-on as well.

Yeah, I fall into the mixed race category myself. Primarily Hispanic with some Mediterranean - Anglo - Caucasian - African - What have you - thrown in.

Now. Given that my top 2 are Hispanic and Mediterranean, shouldn't I have dark hair, skin and eyes?

Nope. I have blonde hair, green eyes and resemble Casper the Ghost.

And Step, it sounds like you and I are the opposite sides of the same coin. I'm part Anglo, part Indian (as in South Asian, not Native American), part African, but at first glance I look black.

In addition to my blend, Little easy child has Indian (the other kind), English and Irish, and although he looks exactly like me, he looks Spanish.

husband is English, with some Czech thrown in several generations ago. He's got light brown hair and blue eyes, but he tans very dark in the summer.

difficult child and Step D are part Ukranian on their egg donor's side. difficult child is fair with blond hair and pale blue eyes, but he tans well too. Step D looks very Eastern European.

I LOVE it when I'm out in public with difficult child and he calls me mom. I like to see the confused looks on people's faces.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Lineage and breeding lines were smeared a LONG time ago folks - We're all mutts - Anyone having a Pettance of Nobility is welcome to present it - but when it all comes down to judgement day - you're gonna be in front of the same judge I am.

With a kid as genetically far out as mine? I'm not even going to begin to guess. I'm freakin georgeous though. :tongue:

KTMom91

Janet, daughter in law sounds a lot like my former mother in law, mother of Useless Boy. She was very upset when we started dating, because I had been divorced. Then she discovered that my mother's family were early settlers in a town close to where she grew up, so I must be all right since I was a member of that family. I was proud of the family, but because of the pioneer spirit...you know they were tough people to covered wagon it from Tennessee to 80 acres bought sight unseen in CA. Helping to found the town shows more of that pioneer spirit, working together, cooperating, making things better.

Anyway, the ideas people get can be quite strange.

witzend

Honestly, any pale skinned person who makes too much of someone else's race tends to make me suspicious the way that any politician who talks too much about not being gay. What the hey are they so worried about someone else for?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Jamie mentioned that when I talked to him a while back. (The part about the baby being born with dark hair, eyes, etc.) I got the impression he knew what the reaction will be if that happens and I think he's expecting the baby to look like that. We'll see.

But yeah....that girl is definately short on her happy meal and I think her toy broke. Like Star said, we're all mutts anyway....who cares? Heck....I have brown eyes, brown hair but with natural highlights of red and blond (but also the occasional strand of jet black) and if I don't get in the sun, I glow in the dark. Even when I do get sun though...I get a slight tan on my arms (you can tell when I take my watch off LOL), maybe a bit of color to my face and that's it. The ONLY time in my life beyond the age of 8 that I've had a good all over tan was when I went to the tanning bed every day for a month. Otherwise? If I don't use sunscreen I just get red and peel. But....look at my family tree and I have enough Native American on both sides to explain the eyes and the cheekbones but enough Scottish, German and English to explain the glow in the dark and sunburns. My great-grandparents on both sides had at least one person who was a minum of half Indian. Somewhere in there though was a red head who messed up my tanning ability! LOL The whole race thing cracks me up in a sad, stupid way. If you think like that....I should hate MYSELF! LOL

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Honestly, any pale skinned person who makes too much of someone else's race tends to make me suspicious the way that any politician who talks too much about not being gay. What the hey are they so worried about someone else for?

Any person, period, who makes a big deal out of anything makes me suspicious. What're they hiding?

...Black, White, Purple, Yellow, Green...Hetero or not...Liar or truthful... We're all the same. We all bleed red. Unless you're a bug. And if you are, I'd love to know how you're typing.

I think the broken toy is missing parts, too.

witzend

Any person, period, who makes a big deal out of anything makes me suspicious. What're they hiding?

...Black, White, Purple, Yellow, Green...Hetero or not...Liar or truthful... We're all the same. We all bleed red. Unless you're a bug. And if you are, I'd love to know how you're typing.

I think the broken toy is missing parts, too.

Yeah, but my point was more that there are still people out there trying to "pass" for white. They're squawking the loudest about the "others".

Lothlorien

My grandmother and aunt had a real predjudice about Italians, being the typical white anglo saxon she was. They were not all that thrilled about my dad dating my mom and then she got pregnant. It wasn't pretty! My aunt raised me later, but I'm sure it made it much easier on her that I was more fair skinned and fit in, ya know?

My other aunt, OTH, on my mother's side, grew up in the 50's. She had thick black hair and very, very dark skin, especially in the summer. She was treated like any other black american.....she wasn't allowed in the movie theater. She wasn't allowed in the front of the bus. She wasn't allowed to drink from a public water fountain. She only experienced this predjudice in the summer when her skin was deeply tan. I remember her telling me these stories when I was a kid and just being shocked.

by the way, I always wanted the brown dolls when I was a kid too. I had a bunch of light dolls, I wanted something different.

Marguerite

When I was a kid I loved golliwogs. I made my own out of purple wool, pompom style. But golliwogs were always so cuddly, so woolly with a lovely smiley face. I never had a clue that they were racist... even when ti was pointed out to me.

Just tinking about the term "cracker" - in Australia it means someone who is a "good sort", a real good looker.
"Get a load o' her, she's a real cracker!"
Here, it's a compliment. There can be a connotation of "she goes off like a cracker" but it mostly means something fairly innocent. A bit like "she's a real corker", which I tihnk is more English in origins.

Or you could have a cracker of an idea.

It's as innocent as "crikey".

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yeah, but my point was more that there are still people out there trying to "pass" for white. They're squawking the loudest about the "others".

Good point - I missed that. It's my opinion that you should be happy with the way you were made. No enhancements, etc. Temporary beautification is fine - makeup, hair dye, clothing, jewelry - but it's like ex-smokers. They're worse than non-smokers about complaining...

DammitJanet

Well oddly enough, Cracker is the word that got Cory kicked out of school for the last and final time. LOL. He called his gym teacher a cracker which was actually amusing considering the gym teacher was white and Cory is mostly white. Unless they dug through Corys family tree they wouldnt know Cory wasnt white.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
This is a really interesting thread to me who was not raised in the US. In the 1950's I always chose to be the Indian when we French kids played "aux cowboys et Indiens". Every movie I had ever seen depicted the Indians as blood thirsty savages.
Then, in 1970 when my boyfriend was wooing, me he wrote me love letters quoting "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee". MAJOR LIBERAL GUILT! So I married him. When I proudly showed a picture of my Franco-American dad's family to my Czech father in law (who tanned really dark) he sniffed derisively "I had no idea they were so Italianate!" Many years of infertility later, we adopted the twins who are part Italian (yeah!) and part Passamaquoddy (yeah!). When father in law asked me what their ethnic background was I was able to tell him. KARMA. He always accepted them.

The boys were so fair when they were babies that I was afraid they had given us the wrong ones and would be back years later to reclaim them. They darken up really well now. They are gorgeous.

My mother's family was very prejudiced against those who are not Caucasians and, even among whites, against the Russians for historical and political reasons. It is often a struggle for me to quiet the old messages.

DammitJanet

Interesting. I know about the Penobscot Indians because my family came down through Nova Scotia and into Mass. There is a town in Maine named after them. Castine Maine.

The Lumbee People

The 40,000+ members of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina reside primarily in Robeson, Hoke,Cumberland and Scotland counties. The Lumbee Tribe is the largest tribe in North Carolina, the largest tribe east of the Mississippi River and the ninth largest in the nation. The Lumbee take their name from the Lumbee River which winds its way through Robeson County. Pembroke, North Carolina is the economic, cultural and political center of the tribe.
The ancestors of the Lumbee were mainly Cheraw and related Siouan-speaking Indians who have lived in the area of what is now Robeson County since the 1700s. The Lumbee people have been recognized by the state of North Carolina since 1885, and at the same time established a separate school system that would benefit tribal members. In 1887, the state established the Croatan Normal Indian School, which is today The University of North Carolina at Pembroke. In 1956 a bill was passed by the United States Congress which recognized the Lumbee as Indian, but denied the tribe full status as a federally recognized Indian tribe. Federal recognition for the tribe is currently being sought through federal legislation.

DDD

Janet, do you know any Lumbees from central Florida? I had a man work for me whose Mom got some Lumbees together to march in the Christmas parade about six years ago or so. Toni left our communitee and moved to NC where he shared a manufactured home with a lovely woman who had a son in college. They had a big picnic in NC and the best friend of the college boy died in the lake. Toni tried to save him and couldn't. He left N.C. and returned to Florida.

What a great family of people...with very big hearts. DDD